The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The death of the piggy bank

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The Hasselblad 100C Digital Back :clap:

Ray
Thank you Ray for the hint . So a HASSELBLAD 50C Digital back can't be far away from now either .
I was searching for a price for the 100C but could not find anything .

It is the "H6D-100c Digital Back". Does this mean it does not fit the Hasselblad V? As it probably will have an astronomical price that might be a good thing thinks my wallet.

Paul2660

Powered aparently by external power source no internal battery.

I thought the old 50MP Hasselblad back that worked on a tech camera had a battery.

Besides that looks like a great product for field use. Anyone seen a price price point.

Paul Caldwell

Grayhand

If you check the photo, the mounting mechanics does not looks like the one for the V-system.
So not for the V-system I think

Ray

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Yes Paul . It requires an external POWER SOURCE 12-24V and attaches via the H-3054180 power cable .
No price seen yet .

stngoldberg

I owned an H5D50 which contained an attachment for a battery to be placed on the back in order to power a technical camera
For some reason the H6D100 requires an external power source similar to the H1-H4 models which means a long cable and a bulky battery...a real PITA
Phase One has its own power source contained in the back which makes it ideal for technical cameras
Stanley

vjbelle

It has the casing that Phase should have released as an interim, reasonably priced, upgrade for the current 3100. I see no mention of WIFI so I'll assume it doesn't offer it. The mount seems designed to work with some camera so it probably mounts to an H6. I don't know all of the terminology but 'pin hole' must refer to their ES and if so 1/8s is awfully fast for the slowest speed obtainable for their ES. I'm also curious if they offer gorilla glass covering for the LCD. No internal battery is a PITA.

Victor

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Pricing is maybe $26.5k USD

Hasselblad H6D-100c Digital Back Now Available | PhotographyBLOG

I wonder if it will work with “normal” H6D bodies or if one has to get and H6X for non-tech camera use
Just read information from Hasselblads website about 'H' compatibility:

Compatibility for H6D-100c digital back and earlier H camera bodies.
A major difference between H6D and earlier generation H cameras, is that most settings have been moved from the camera grip to the UI on the sensor unit for ease of use. This means that the H5D and older camera bodies have different button functionality compared to the H6D. It was unfortunately not possible to keep full backwards compatibility. Even though you can capture images with some models, we cannot guarantee that the combination is stable. We therefore do not recommend using the H6D-100c digital back with any other camera body than the H6D.

L

L

Internal vs. external power is always going to be a trade-off in some way... a battery is rather big and heavy, so having one in the back doesn't do it much favors for size/weight/balance, and increases design complexity as more components have to be crammed together to make room. Just take a look at the inside of the average smartphone for comparison; 70% battery, 20% screen, and 10% actual electronics. The average MFD body is practically just a shell, more so on Hass because they don't even feature a FP shutter, it's a box with some wires running through it, so might as well make use of it and fit all the power delivery in there.

Hasselblad make it seem as though they're inching closer and closer to making a fully-integrated camera (as much as they can with a detachable back for now), but don't have the commitment to do it outright, and frankly they should just bite the bullet and do so to avoid having to please two crowds at once with one device. Make a complete H7D camera with built-in sensor ala Leica S or Pentax 645Z, and a separate back designed specifically for tech cams, with no compromises for having been intended for use on an SLR-style body. There wouldn't be this problem if the separate H6 back was actually unique from the kit option in that it would be a bit larger with an internal battery compartment.