The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fast prime for the Hasselblad X1D: please I need an advice

CAMBOUSA

I really miss having a fast prime on my X1D, both for lowlight photography and especially to get shallower depth of field when shooting portrait

or getting the Cambo Ca-XCD and using my Otus 85mm or/and 55 Otus which I still have
I have tested the 85mm with the IQ3-100 and seem to remember having pretty good coverage. We are arranging a demo X1D for Photo Plus in a few weeks. I should have it in my hands middle to late next week.

Could you please shoot me an email as a reminder, and I'll let you know how well the Otus lenses work.

I have tested the 85mm with the IQ3-100 and seem to remember having pretty good coverage.
Question for Cambo: does the Cambo CA-XCD Adapter work with all Zeiss Otus, ZE and Milvus lenses with Canon Bajonett, as regards aperture control is concerned?

CAMBOUSA

Question for Cambo: does the Cambo CA-XCD Adapter work with all Zeiss Otus, ZE and Milvus lenses with Canon Bajonett, as regards aperture control is concerned?
I'm fairly certain that it does. Its been a while since I did my testing, but I don't remember there being any issues on the copies I had on hand.

I do know that at least with the 85mm it was preferred over the Canon 85 1.2 because the Canon official lens wouldn't focus at all due to it being focus by wire.

ErikKaffehr

Re: Fast prime for the Hasselblad X1D: please I need an advic

I could not disagree more. Thankfully, Hasselblad has stayed the course so far with the design of its lenses for the X1D. The X1D is all about its form factor... small, light and portable. If Hasselblad is to produce relatively small and light lenses in keeping with the essential form factor of the body, the lenses will necessarily be slower. Fast lenses are always bigger lenses. Moreover, the X1D is so capable at higher ISOs, the loss of a stop or two with a lens is not such a big deal. Of course, if you want very thin DOF, that is a problem. I am struggling with how to maximize DOF, often by shooting multiple frames at different focus points.
If you want a system with big, heavy and fast lenses, buy a DSLR. There are lots of options out there.
BTW, there is today no "delay" in the release of a standard lens for the X1D. Hasselblad announced a 65mm lens for the X1D last February, and said it would be released in 2018. There was no mention of specs, so we don't know if it will be a faster lens such as an f2 or a much smaller f2.8 or f3.2.
Hi,

It certainly makes sense for Hasselblad to make small lenses and small normally means not very fast. On the other hand, if photographers long for short DoF and large bokeh, high ISO will not help.

Without doubt, Hasselblad can built faster lenses. But I guess that they have their own priorities. But, I would not be surprised if they made a portrait with reasonably large aperture.

The X system is still young, it will be interesting to see in which direction it develops.

I guess the E-shutter may be helpful with the hexagonal OoF highlights issue.

Best regards
Erik

etto72

I have tested the 85mm with the IQ3-100 and seem to remember having pretty good coverage. We are arranging a demo X1D for Photo Plus in a few weeks. I should have it in my hands middle to late next week.

Could you please shoot me an email as a reminder, and I'll let you know how well the Otus lenses work.
Thanks

anyway I finally decided to go for the Cambo.....
I should get it very soon :)
Looking forward to share the results over here!

Best
Ettore

fallsj

I really miss having a fast prime on my X1D, both for lowlight photography and especially to get shallower depth of field when shooting portrait

Currently I only see two solutions :

Buying a used HC 100mm 2.2 (I already have the H-X adapter)
or getting the Cambo Ca-XCD and using my Otus 85mm or/and 55 Otus which I still have

I am mostly concern about how sharp is the 100mm wide open and how usable would the Otus on X1D
Any opinion or advice ?

Many thanks for your help
Leica-S 100mm 2.0
Leica-S 120mm 2.5
Leica-S 70mm 2.5
Leica-S 45mm 2.8

I believe all these lenses have leaf shutters or “central shutters.” I’m not sure if there’s an adapter yet, surely not with autofocus. It appears to be the best option, optically speaking.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Leica-S 100mm 2.0
Leica-S 120mm 2.5
Leica-S 70mm 2.5
Leica-S 45mm 2.8

I believe all these lenses have leaf shutters or “central shutters.” I’m not sure if there’s an adapter yet, surely not with autofocus. It appears to be the best option, optically speaking.
Not the 100. The others are available with and without CS.

tcdeveau

Leica-S 100mm 2.0
Leica-S 120mm 2.5
Leica-S 70mm 2.5
Leica-S 45mm 2.8

I don’t think there’s an adapter available for Leica S lenses. Wouldn’t it also need aperture control?

Leica made a Hasselblad H to S Adapter when they were trying to fill out their S lens lineup, some reciprocity with a Hasselblad Leica S to X adapter while we’re waiting for more XCD lenses would be cool