The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Hasselblad X1D Love

romeobravophoto

Hi All,
A while back I posted a few blog posts featuring the Hasselblad X1D. I originally bought a Fuji GFX, but was able to get my hands on an X1D (with the help of Ming). I ended up sending back the Fuji, and buying the Hasselblad. I love it - except for the gymnastics required to change the AF point.
Anyway, here is a link to my blog:
Hasselblad X1D-50c - The Luxurious Opulence of Medium Format Arrives in a Small Package
Here is a link to higher res photos on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/romeobravophoto/albums/72157684149425073

Here is a copy of my conclusions, if you don't want to click through...

Hasselblad X1D Pros
-Best IQ of any camera my wife and I have ever shot with – I love the way it handles skin tones and highlights – gives a very Leica-esque glow, Very accurate colors, & ‘richness’ to the files
-Absolutely Beautiful Camera. When we opened the box – my wife said “We may have to buy two so we don’t fight over it.” UMMMMM…OK!
-Free Phocus & Phocus Mobile – Everyone LOVED the tethering via WiFi to our iPad!
-Firmware updates have come fairly frequently (more frequently than the GFX), and are quickly striking off items on reviewers’ con lists
-LEAF SHUTTER LENSES – Flash sync up to 1/2000th of a second
-Nikon Flash mount
-Simple – intuitive menus
-Actual Hasselblad Employees answering complaints/issues in forums (DPReview, GetDPI, Fred Miranda, etc.) – is any other camera company doing this? I haven’t seen it (at least to this extent)
-Lightroom handles the large files beautifully. Much better than the files from the Fuji GFX
-Ming Thein – an actual photographer. He isn’t just a Hasselblad Brand Ambassador – he is the Chief of Strategy. This guy understands the average working photographer, and I am confident in the future of Hasselblad as long as he is with them
-Ability to adapt Hasselblad HC lenses (with AF) with the soon to be released adapter – at a pretty reasonable price

Hasselblad X1D Cons
-Long start-up time – actually similar to Sony a7RII
-Changing focus point is really a PIA. AWKWARDLY placed AF button must be held down before the focus point can be moved, and then you must use the front and rear dials to move the point (when using EVF to compose).
-Low-res EVF compared to other new cameras- very similar to a7RII
-Hexagon shaped highlights using 90mm lens * I’ve heard this will be fixed
-**Fixed with firmware update ** Not enough AF Points (They are too big to pinpoint an eye sometimes)
– What is that AWFUL sound coming from the camera after pressing the shutter?!?!? It sounds like a $5 electronic stapler. My Leica Q and Sony RX1RII have leaf shutters and they are virtually silent. **Hasselblad has just released firmware that adds a silent E-shutter option**
-Noticeable black-out time – reduced if shooting in Raw only
-Issues with 45mm lenses? We had an issue where the 45mm lens would just lock-up and refuse to focus. A re-boot of the camera fixes it, but that is 10-15s each time – moments (and sunlight) were lost. *Hasselblad overnighted a replacement that worked great
-Issues with Lexar SD cards – X1D would complain that the SD card was too slow (even though our Lexar is faster than our Sandisk)
-Takes a long time to automatically switch from EVF to LCD
-Slow (UHS-I) SD card slots – same as the Sony a7RII and Leica Q

Hasselblad X1D Wishlist
Implement Eye-Detect-AF
Allow image preview in EVF
Allow touch to focus + capture (vice touch to move focus point only)
Implement AF point movement with Touch screen when looking through EVF (like Panasonic/Oly)
Implement True-focus
More customization of the different buttons on the camera
Add more options for 2nd SD Card slot (eg Save Raw to Card 1 and JPG to Card 2)

Lovebite Hasselblad.jpgHasselblad Editorial Fashion.jpgFashion Photography Hasselblad.jpg

Attachments

PeterA

Hi All,
A while back I posted a few blog posts featuring the Hasselblad X1D. I originally bought a Fuji GFX, but was able to get my hands on an X1D (with the help of Ming). I ended up sending back the Fuji, and buying the Hasselblad. I love it - except for the gymnastics required to change the AF point.
Anyway, here is a link to my blog:
Hasselblad X1D-50c - The Luxurious Opulence of Medium Format Arrives in a Small Package
Here is a link to higher res photos on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/romeobravophoto/albums/72157684149425073

Here is a copy of my conclusions, if you don't want to click through...

Hasselblad X1D Pros
-Best IQ of any camera my wife and I have ever shot with – I love the way it handles skin tones and highlights – gives a very Leica-esque glow, Very accurate colors, & ‘richness’ to the files
-Absolutely Beautiful Camera. When we opened the box – my wife said “We may have to buy two so we don’t fight over it.” UMMMMM…OK!
-Free Phocus & Phocus Mobile – Everyone LOVED the tethering via WiFi to our iPad!
-Firmware updates have come fairly frequently (more frequently than the GFX), and are quickly striking off items on reviewers’ con lists
-LEAF SHUTTER LENSES – Flash sync up to 1/2000th of a second
-Nikon Flash mount
-Simple – intuitive menus
-Actual Hasselblad Employees answering complaints/issues in forums (DPReview, GetDPI, Fred Miranda, etc.) – is any other camera company doing this? I haven’t seen it (at least to this extent)
-Lightroom handles the large files beautifully. Much better than the files from the Fuji GFX
-Ming Thein – an actual photographer. He isn’t just a Hasselblad Brand Ambassador – he is the Chief of Strategy. This guy understands the average working photographer, and I am confident in the future of Hasselblad as long as he is with them
-Ability to adapt Hasselblad HC lenses (with AF) with the soon to be released adapter – at a pretty reasonable price

Hasselblad X1D Cons
-Long start-up time – actually similar to Sony a7RII
-Changing focus point is really a PIA. AWKWARDLY placed AF button must be held down before the focus point can be moved, and then you must use the front and rear dials to move the point (when using EVF to compose).
-Low-res EVF compared to other new cameras- very similar to a7RII
-Hexagon shaped highlights using 90mm lens * I’ve heard this will be fixed
-**Fixed with firmware update ** Not enough AF Points (They are too big to pinpoint an eye sometimes)
– What is that AWFUL sound coming from the camera after pressing the shutter?!?!? It sounds like a $5 electronic stapler. My Leica Q and Sony RX1RII have leaf shutters and they are virtually silent. **Hasselblad has just released firmware that adds a silent E-shutter option**
-Noticeable black-out time – reduced if shooting in Raw only
-Issues with 45mm lenses? We had an issue where the 45mm lens would just lock-up and refuse to focus. A re-boot of the camera fixes it, but that is 10-15s each time – moments (and sunlight) were lost. *Hasselblad overnighted a replacement that worked great
-Issues with Lexar SD cards – X1D would complain that the SD card was too slow (even though our Lexar is faster than our Sandisk)
-Takes a long time to automatically switch from EVF to LCD
-Slow (UHS-I) SD card slots – same as the Sony a7RII and Leica Q

Hasselblad X1D Wishlist
Implement Eye-Detect-AF
Allow image preview in EVF
Allow touch to focus + capture (vice touch to move focus point only)
Implement AF point movement with Touch screen when looking through EVF (like Panasonic/Oly)
Implement True-focus
More customization of the different buttons on the camera
Add more options for 2nd SD Card slot (eg Save Raw to Card 1 and JPG to Card 2)

View attachment 129584View attachment 129586View attachment 129585
Great images and interesting perspective - thanks for posting. I'm reading your blog now ...

Cheers
Pete

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Doug

All adults here ... don't really need a hall monitor.

But thanks for the input.

Just sayin'

Bob