The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using iMac 5k display and obtaining critical focus while tethering

JK12

Let me know your thoughts. So going through some files here on my iMac 5k screen that I used for tethering with Hasselblad Phocus and 100c camera (when it hadn't yet broken), I'm noticing that the images I had imported where I used an older (2012 non retina display) Macbook Pro to tether appear to be sharper than the ones I captured using the iMac with the retina display to tether... Are the retina displays too sharp to obtain and critically judge sharpness?

ErikKaffehr

Let me know your thoughts. So going through some files here on my iMac 5k screen that I used for tethering with Hasselblad Phocus and 100c camera (when it hadn't yet broken), I'm noticing that the images I had imported where I used an older (2012 non retina display) Macbook Pro to tether appear to be sharper than the ones I captured using the iMac with the retina display to tether... Are the retina displays too sharp to obtain and critically judge sharpness?
Hi,

There may be some problems with retina. For judging sharpness you would probably need a screen where your vision can resolve all pixels at your viewing distance. 24" is a good match for 1920x1080, but 4K would probably need a 48" screen. It all depends on viewing distance, of course.

Best regards
Erik

fiver

The problem with the Apple display is that for one it's glossy and two it's no substitute for a dedicated colour reference monitor.

jduncan

The problem with the Apple display is that for one it's glossy and two it's no substitute for a dedicated colour reference monitor.

I am not sure how the "not substitute for a dedicated color reference monitor" is relevant to the issue at hand: Could you elaborate?
On the other hand, I second that the high resolution could be a problem.

Best regards,

med

Nothing scientific, but I have found that my Retina Macbook Pro makes images look sharper when viewing at 100% than my non-Retina desktop displays (with a lower pixel density). I usually try to view at 200% on my laptop as a result when trying to judge sharpness.