The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D with Outs Lenses (via Cambo adapter)

etto72

Yesterday I got the Cambo adaptor to use EOS lenses on the X1D
Here are some snapshot took around the house,
all spontaneous pics using both the 55mm and 85mm Otus at 1.4 handhold, but I am planning to try other aperture and also other EOS lenses I got with me

General impression:

-both lenses cover the entire sensor and they are very sharp!
-the 85mm is outstanding on the X1D
-55mm shows some weakness in the corner especially with pronounced vignetting
-you need to have a steady hand to avoid rolling shutter
-the rendering to me is really beautiful

Cheers to all
Ettore

IMG_2092.jpg

85mm

55mm

55mm

85mm

85mm

55mm

85mm

55mm

85mm

satijntje

Some of the best images I have seen this year. Seems to be a fantastic Combo, this OTUS 85mm on the X1D.
Maybe should start hunting for a second hand one, as O really fall in lave with these images!

Thanks for sharing

John

DB5

Absolutely incredible. That is wow factor.

I wonder how the the Zeiss 135mm f2 will work...very well I imagine now.

What kind of shutter speed range is safe to use to avoid rolling shutter?

engardeknave

Not Available
You don't happen to have an 85L laying around to try, do you? I'd be interested in seeing results with any other Canon lenses you might have.

etto72

I wonder how the the Zeiss 135mm f2 will work...very well I imagine now.

I think I read somewhere that the 135mm Zeiss is spectacular too on the X1D

To avoid rolling shutter is not about shutter speed but how steady is your hand and of course if your subject is moving..
Also be aware of flickering light!

jduncan

I wonder how the Zeiss 135mm f2 will work...very well I imagine now.

I second the motion, I will like to see the 135mm it's one of those lenses that are undervalued.
Beautiful rendering, nice construction, a joy to use and a classic design.

Best regards,

CAMBOUSA

Yesterday I got the Cambo adaptor to use EOS lenses on the X1D
Here are some snapshot took around the house,
all spontaneous pics using both the 55mm and 85mm Otus at 1.4 handhold, but I am planning to try other aperture and also other EOS lenses I got with me

General impression:

-both lenses cover the entire sensor and they are very sharp!
-the 85mm is outstanding on the X1D
-55mm shows some weakness in the corner especially with pronounced vignetting
-you need to have a steady hand to avoid rolling shutter
-the rendering to me is really beautiful

Cheers to all
Ettore
Thanks so much for this Ettore, you took a lot of my weekend testing out of my hands. Now it's going to be a lot more weekend play time instead.

CAMBOUSA

You don't happen to have an 85L laying around to try, do you? I'd be interested in seeing results with any other Canon lenses you might have.
Unfortunately I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think it will work.

Earlier this year we tested the 85L with another adaptor using the same control system as this one. Because of the focusing system on the 85L it turned into the world's strangest macro lens and wasn't very useful.

But for lenses that have a different manual focusing system (Such as the Otus lenses as shown below) the results are quite impressive.

CAMBOUSA

Can you elaborate? I understand the 85L is focus by wire, but doesn't turning the focus ring simply move the glass in and out? How could that make it a macro lens?
On the copy that I had the glass did not move. The focusing system didn't engage because it wasn't connected to a Canon body.

Perhaps my calling it a strange macro lens wasn't technically correct, but it was a "fun" experiment trying to manually move the lens and camera back and forth to find a single focus point without any electronic assistance.

CAMBOUSA

It looks like the Cambo adapter doesn't actually facilitate any connection between the camera and lens.
Exactly correct. All of the Cambo Canon adapters don't interface with the camera itself. Just the lens.

This means no metadata, and no focus commands are shared between the lens and camera.