The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ150...who is buying it now ?

archivue

Not the best back for technical camera

Fuji and Hassy are here... and so cheap... specially fuji with their good lenses...

i wonder if phase one are still selling some IQ150... ?

DB5

Who knows. But I know the IQ 50 is incredible. I would actually say the 150 is selling a bit because it's the only modern cmos back back to work on something like the Contax 645. It's the only one that will allow you to rotate it to portrait on a V Blad. It has exceptional high ISO and is the most affordable in the range, giving full supported access to Capture One - which accounts for a lot.

I have a feeling, just a feeling, there will be quite a few buying the IQ150 instead of the Fuji or Blad.

Just like P25+, P45+, P65+ etc, they all phase out some day.

I'd say the Nikon D850, Sony A7R-II and Canon 5DSR can make more sense in many shooting situations.

Just like P25+, P45+, P65+ etc, they all phase out some day.

I'd say the Nikon D850, Sony A7R-II and Canon 5DSR can make more sense in many shooting situations.
It's a false equivalence to compare a 10 year CCD digital medium format back with the latest DSLR. I see it as a binary choice where the decision is made by first deciding on what wants to say or capture in an image.

Personally some days it's Medium format digital other days it's a DSLR.

Here are some examples below.

The cover I shot for Sports Illustrated of Dwight Howard I shot with a Phase One XF and an IQ3 100. For image quality and the ability use Leaf Shutter lenses to control the ambient light.

The cover did for Golf magazine of Lexi Thompson was done in the studio of her swinging and I needed to use a motor drive to precisely capture her perfect form. I'm not a golf expert so I needed to be able to shoot the ten or 15 frames per second that my 35 mm DLSR captures. (Combined with a hi speed strobe pack and bi-tubes that would recycle quickly) Thus giving the magazine editor a good amount of images with a range of motion to choose from.

My apologizes to the original poster, @archivue for side tracking his initial post. I have colleagues who are perfectly content to shoot with the IQ150, IQ250 or IQ350.

Last edited:
It's a false equivalence to compare a 10 year CCD digital medium format back with the latest DSLR. I see it as a binary choice where the decision is made by first deciding on what wants to say or capture in an image.

Personally some days it's Medium format digital other days it's a DSLR.

Here are some examples below.

The cover I shot for Sports Illustrated of Dwight Howard I shot with a Phase One XF and an IQ3 100. For image quality and the ability use Leaf Shutter lenses to control the ambient light.

The cover did for Golf magazine of Lexi Thompson was done in the studio of her swinging and I needed to use a motor drive to precisely capture her perfect form. I'm not a golf expert so I needed to be able to shoot the ten or 15 frames per second that my 35 mm DLSR captures. (Combined with a hi speed strobe pack and bi-tubes that would recycle quickly) Thus giving the magazine editor a good amount of images with a range of motion to choose from.
You don't quite get my point. I'm saying older products keep getting obsolete due to newer products perform as good or better at a cheaper price.

For the first picture I don't see the need of leaf shutter, as there is no action for you to freeze outdoors, and I see no benefit of the extra flash sync speed for full power. In such case, there is virtually no advantage of IQ250 over A7R-II/5DSR.

For the second picture, a Sony A9 at 20fps and $4500 may be better than a Canon 1DX II at 14fps and $6000, provided that you can use the flash system.

To conclude on the two pictures you've taken: a Sony A7R-II + A9 combo could be a better solution than an IQ250 + 1DX II combo.

You don't quite get my point. I'm saying older products keep getting obsolete due to newer products perform as good or better at a cheaper price.
We will have to agree to disagree. If the equipment a photographer uses produces the images they like or his/her clients appreciate. When does “obsolescence” have any relevance?

I have a good friend who is a high end food and beverage photographer. We were having dinner at his studio and when I asked him what his favorite pot was, He reached up high to the hanging rack and brought down a black cast iron skillet. And he told me, "This was the only pot my mom brought with her when she running for her life during World War II." He cooks his best meals with that old skillet.

Any camera can be made to sing you just need the right songwriter.

There is a famous British landscape and advertising photographer who shoots for major car brands who relies heavily on his tried and true workhorse IQ180 and Contax medium format camera. His masterpiece landscape images are pure emotion.

Anyway I digress.

For the first picture I don't see the need of leaf shutter, as there is no action for you to freeze outdoors, and I see no benefit of the extra flash sync speed for full power. In such case, there is virtually no advantage of IQ250 over A7R-II/5DSR.
I don't know how to even respond to this. So help me.

You don’t see the need for a leaf shutter or are you unable to see a need for it?

Let me help you out.

When was the last time you took a portrait outside at high noon in Atlanta, Ga.? I understand that in your mind you have an approach to photography. How about you let your logical mind take a break for a moment. You presume incorrectly that I use Leaf Shutter to freeze action. Sorry my friend. If the your Exposure Index or ASA is 100, then at high noon you would be shooting roughly 1/100 @ F.11/F.16. In order to shoot this image at 1/500 @ F.6.3 utilizing a mixture of natural light and strobe ( I could also exposed at 1/1600 @f 4as well) I used a leaf shutter lens on a Phase one XF that has an internal profoto transmitter. The strobe pack was a Profoto B4 which has internal radio receiver. The light modifier was a Large Profoto Softbox as the key light. And a second head with a Profoto Beauty dish was used for a kick in the eyes. The entire set was covered by a 12 x 12 silk to diffuse the harsh high noon sunlight. That's how I did it. Sure you can use hyper sync or some other high speed sync gadgetry, but you sacrifice strobe power and more importantly consistent color temperature. I appreciate your thoughts and insight on long exposure image making. I didn’t know you also have a background on portraiture and lighting. If your clients are happy with your images that's great. Thank you.

For the second picture, a Sony A9 at 20fps and $4500 may be better than a Canon 1DX II at 14fps and $6000, provided that you can use the flash system.
When you have purchased a Sony A9 and have shot a year’s worth of sporting events with it please write a blog review and post, it would be wonderful to read. Also let us know how quickly Sony Professional Services sends you a loaner if you have a malfunction.

To conclude on the two pictures you've taken: a Sony A7R-II + A9 combo could be a better solution than an IQ250 + 1DX II combo.
Maybe for you. I don't use any mirrorless cameras. I prefer an optical finder. I have always done my portraiture work with medium format cameras, not only for obvious image quality reasons but the flexibility you gain by shooting with a leaf shutter lens to balance strobe and ambient light. I love the roll off and the feel of my images taken with F2.8 with a mix of natural light and a kick of strobe to open up the eyes. Some photographers enjoy using light as a metaphor to set the mood or add a layer of meaning to their images. Having the ability to control the light with tools as diverse as a simple gobo or scrim to Leaf shutters lenses to lighting equipment such as HMIs or Strobe packs are essential to the creation of those images.

We see things differently based upon our experience in art and photography. If the choices you make work for you I say great. Enjoy your solution. But it's definitely not better. Thank you.

We will have to agree to disagree. If the equipment a photographer uses produces the images they like or his/her clients appreciate. When does “obsolescence” have any relevance?

I have a good friend who is a high end food and beverage photographer. We were having dinner at his studio and when I asked him what his favorite pot was, He reached up high to the hanging rack and brought down a black cast iron skillet. And he told me, "This was the only pot my mom brought with her when she running for her life during World War II." He cooks his best meals with that old skillet.

Any camera can be made to sing you just need the right songwriter.

There is a famous British landscape and advertising photographer who shoots for major car brands who relies heavily on his tried and true workhorse IQ180 and Contax medium format camera. His masterpiece landscape images are pure emotion.

Anyway I digress.
"Obsolete" means you can find better alternatives at cheaper prices. For example, an iPhone made in 2017 shoots better than the first digital back Nikon NASA F4, despite the latter having taken pictures beyond the reach of most photographers in the world.

I don't know how to even respond to this. So help me.

You don’t see the need for a leaf shutter or are you unable to see a need for it?

Let me help you out.

When was the last time you took a portrait outside at high noon in Atlanta, Ga.? I understand that in your mind you have an approach to photography. How about you let your logical mind take a break for a moment. You presume incorrectly that I use Leaf Shutter to freeze action. Sorry my friend. If the your Exposure Index or ASA is 100, then at high noon you would be shooting roughly 1/100 @ F.11/F.16. In order to shoot this image at 1/500 @ F.6.3 utilizing a mixture of natural light and strobe ( I could also exposed at 1/1600 @f 4as well) I used a leaf shutter lens on a Phase one XF that has an internal profoto transmitter. The strobe pack was a Profoto B4 which has internal radio receiver. The light modifier was a Large Profoto Softbox as the key light. And a second head with a Profoto Beauty dish was used for a kick in the eyes. The entire set was covered by a 12 x 12 silk to diffuse the harsh high noon sunlight. That's how I did it. Sure you can use hyper sync or some other high speed sync gadgetry, but you sacrifice strobe power and more importantly consistent color temperature. I appreciate your thoughts and insight on long exposure image making. I didn’t know you also have a background on portraiture and lighting. If your clients are happy with your images that's great. Thank you.
If you like forcing an outdoor noon image to look like an indoor studio image (by suppressing the sun with your strobes), then yes you need leaf shutter for that. Sorry I did not realize it's taken at noon. It could be taken at dawn a lot easier (without the need of leaf shutter), if there's no such timing constraint with your model for a location shot. If you insist leaf shutter, you also have options like the Hasselblad X1D, which is significantly lighter than the IQ250.

When you have purchased a Sony A9 and have shot a year’s worth of sporting events with it please write a blog review and post, it would be wonderful to read. Also let us know how quickly Sony Professional Services sends you a loaner if you have a malfunction.

Maybe for you. I don't use any mirrorless cameras. I prefer an optical finder. I have always done my portraiture work with medium format cameras, not only for obvious image quality reasons but the flexibility you gain by shooting with a leaf shutter lens to balance strobe and ambient light. I love the roll off and the feel of my images taken with F2.8 with a mix of natural light and a kick of strobe to open up the eyes. Some photographers enjoy using light as a metaphor to set the mood or add a layer of meaning to their images. Having the ability to control the light with tools as diverse as a simple gobo or scrim to Leaf shutters lenses to lighting equipment such as HMIs or Strobe packs are essential to the creation of those images.

We see things differently based upon our experience in art and photography. If the choices you make work for you I say great. Enjoy your solution. But it's definitely not better. Thank you.
DSLRs have viewfinder blackouts, disturbing noise and bulky designs, let alone the slow fps. These will eventually become obsolete while the sensor technology advances. There are plenty of existing reviews of the A9 you can read about. I know there are still many issues with the A9, such as slow startup, slow buffer clearing etc, but 20fps silent shutter is just too good to be ignored. The manufacturers are not fools - Canon, Nikon, Sony, Leica, Hasselblad, Fuji etc are all making mirrorless.

aztwang

Sir I respect your opinion most of the time, but to tell another photographer, a known professional that there was no need for leaf shutter because there was no action!!..Really? Thats just pure ignorance. You need to read up on leaf shutters my friend, it's not just for action. I know Jefferey, his knowledge is innate with the Phase 1 system...you weren't there to see anything, the ambient light, nor the set up etc, it's one thing to ask about somebody's set up and another to say there was no need for their lighting set up ....Very rude sir...:wtf:

Sir I respect your opinion most of the time, but to tell another photographer, a known professional that there was no need for leaf shutter because there was no action!!..Really? Thats just pure ignorance. You need to read up on leaf shutters my friend, it's not just for action. I know Jefferey, his knowledge is innate with the Phase 1 system...you weren't there to see anything, the ambient light, nor the set up etc, it's one thing to ask about somebody's set up and another to say there was no need for their lighting set up ....Very rude sir...:wtf:
While I do respect these images, I don't see the need of faster shutter speeds under the sun, if it's not for fast action or wide aperture. Meanwhile, medium format is not known to be good at fast action or wide aperture. That's why I question the practical points of leaf shutter all the time. :thumbup: Yes, I know there's a market for the style of those images suppressing the noon sun to force it look like dawn/dusk, and I'm sure these are well paid, but to me these just don't look natural. Maybe I'd prefer a simple reflector to add some light into the eyes and not forcing the whole scene to look artificial.

aztwang

While I do respect these images, I don't see the need of faster shutter speeds under the sun, if it's not for fast action or wide aperture. Meanwhile, medium format is not known to be good at fast action or wide aperture. That's why I question the practical points of leaf shutter all the time. :thumbup: Yes, I know there's a market for the style of those images suppressing the noon sun to force it look like dawn/dusk, and I'm sure these are well paid, but to me these just don't look natural. Maybe I'd prefer a simple reflector to add some light into the eyes and not forcing the whole scene to look artificial.
Thats all in fine, your "what I'd like to see" is noted but honestly if you have shot assignments like what Jefferey shot, more times than not it's not up to the photographer; image approval and changes are made by the artistic/art director who is entrusted by the editor who has a vision, a look or feel for their front cover that he or she is wanting in order to sell their magazine. If you as a photographer are lucky enough to be given carte blanche by the magazine and are told shoot it as you like, well....... then obviously they have a world of confidence in you and really no one has room to tell that photographer how an image should have been shot.

To the OP, my apologies for this side bar. As far as who is buying now? I would assume it's still a
popular back. Other than the lack of WIFI and battery sharing I believe there are no other differences to
the 350 which is a current offering. The skin tone is amazing and the ability to control ambient with
the use of leah shutters so seamlessly makes this back a winner IMHO. Now I have not had a chance to compare to Nikons new 850 but I can tell you I have done several shoots being blessed with enough time from clients to shoot both the IQ250 and the Nikon D810 side by side for the entire shoot and the Nikon could not compare when it came to IQ, color & detail.....

Cheers

Don

Thats all in fine, your "what I'd like to see" is noted but honestly if you have shot assignments like what Jefferey shot, more times than not it's not up to the photographer; image approval and changes are made by the artistic/art director who is entrusted by the editor who has a vision, a look or feel for their front cover that he or she is wanting in order to sell their magazine. If you as a photographer are lucky enough to be given carte blanche by the magazine and are told shoot it as you like, well....... then obviously they have a world of confidence in you and really no one has room to tell that photographer how an image should have been shot.
You are right - it's up to the editor. As far as I'm told, leaf shutter is not a compulsory requirement for Vogue. You guys make great pictures for sure.

stephengilbert

"'Obsolete' means you can find better alternatives at cheaper prices."

Perhaps that's what you mean, but that's not what "obsolete" means. "Obsolete" means "no longer in use or no longer useful," or "of a kind or style no longer current." (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obsolete)

If obsolete means "not the latest thing," your argument isn't so annoying. But it doesn't mean that.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As far as who is buying now? I would assume it's still a popular back. Other than the lack of WIFI and battery sharing I believe there are no other differences to the 350 which is a current offering.
A few other differences between the IQ150 and IQ2/350 are beyond the Wifi. The IQ150 also lacks the accurate highlight clipping warning from raw and also the exposure tone heat map - this one is something that I use extensively with my IQ3100 when shooting with a tech camera to get perfect exposure/DR (although it's not limited to just tech cam use). These were added with the firmware updates for the IQ2/3 series backs but not the IQ1 series backs. Also, don't forget the warranty differences too - 12 months for the IQ1 series.

lance_schad

Workshop Member

Fuji and Hassy are here... and so cheap... specially fuji with their good lenses...

Yes there are competitive 50MP offerings at low prices now, but there are still many people who prefer a modular system and Capture One support. We spend a great deal of time working with photographers who are deciding between an all in one solution or a digital back. It comes down to the tool that works the best for their use.

The IQ150 is still selling well, although if you are making a new complete kit purchase is a better value to go with the IQ350 kit for a couple of reasons that include : extended feature set/wifi (detailed here), also your choice of any prime lens and the 5 year value added warranty (with loaner) on the whole system. Currently the IQ150 kit(150/XF/Prism/80mmLS) is on promo at $19,990 and the IQ350(350/XF/Prism/choice of LS lens up to $6990 value) at $24,990 (details on DT/P1 4Q promos).

Also there are factory refurbished backs available in a variety of mounts (H,V,Contax,P1) :IQ150 at $12,990 or IQ250 at $13,990 or IQ350 at $16,990.

Last edited:

SteveG

Since Hasselblad was mentioned, I will chime in.

While we have the execellent X1D-50c, I want to remind everyone that we also offer the H6D-50c for those needing the modularity and or an optical viewfinder.

The H6D-50c comes standard with wifi, USB-C connectivity, HD video & a 2 year warranty. You can purchase a brand new H6D-50c for $14,495.00

MrSmith

12 months for the IQ1 series.
£14k plus vat and you only get a 12 month warranty :ROTFL:

if you are not a business then AFAIK that could easily be contested under EU law as 12 months is not ‘a reasonable product lifespan'

stngoldberg

Since Hasselblad was mentioned, I will chime in.

While we have the execellent X1D-50c, I want to remind everyone that we also offer the H6D-50c for those needing the modularity and or an optical viewfinder.

The H6D-50c comes standard with wifi, USB-C connectivity, HD video & a 2 year warranty. You can purchase a brand new H6D-50c for $14,495.00
The H6D-50C is NOT a good match for a technical camera because it does not have a battery contained within like the Phase One. One must carry around a cable attached battery which is a PITA.
Stanley

RobbieAB

£14k plus vat and you only get a 12 month warranty :ROTFL:

if you are not a business then AFAIK that could easily be contested under EU law as 12 months is not ‘a reasonable product lifespan'
Sure, but in that case you are now in legal dispute with the dealer, not dealing with a (hopefully) co-operative manufacturer. Even assuming you were to win such a dispute, in Ireland (the one EU member state where I know what the guidelines on "reasonable product lifespan" are) the cover would be limited to 3 years.

You are right - it's up to the editor. As far as I'm told, leaf shutter is not a compulsory requirement for Vogue. You guys make great pictures for sure.
it's not, but LS is awesome for location photographers who like to use lighting, and precisely the reason I went with Hasselblad over the GFX, when it came time to buy something for that type of work.

Global shutter is a whole different thing on the horizon as far as teh tech goes — and will eventually make LS lenses/systems obsolete, but it's still far enough out that those who need the advantages of a leaf shutter will continue to use it until global shutter becomes good enough to replace it.