The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can I clean behind ir filter on aptus22 back?

Eric Reschly

So after noticing many spots in my photos at high apatures I purchased a digital back cleaning kit and cleaned the back as instructed.
After cleaning, under bright light, I noticed that there is a lot of spots under the "ir filter" glass. Both on the back of glass and on the sensor. There are four screws around this filter glass which I was wondering if could be removed for cleaning of those enclosed parts.
Is this a disaster waiting to happen or a normal cleaning procedure??

Thanks

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As Doug said it would be best to send it in. Also, dust under the IR filter isn't common so best to also determine that it isn't something else. Early Hassy CFX backs had a sensitivity to IR filter degradation that manifest as spots - not sure about the others. That isn't going to blow off.

Also, remember that whilst you can clean the IR glass, you probably don't want to be scrubbing the bare sensor. Hence why unless you have a clean room you should send it in.

I've done this before but only with Leaf Aptus and previously my Kodak 645M (which ironically came with a user replaceable filter for non-IR use). I wouldn't do it with any of my new MFDBs as you're likely to just make it worse and worse ...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'd give one of the dealers who advertise here a call. Another route might be talking to Kolari or LifePixel folks who do the IR conversions as they would have cleaning options in a clean room environment.

In my case Leaf was still actively servicing gear in NY and my Aptus 65M went to them for assessment and repair (IR glass replacement). My dealer at the time got me the new IR glass directly since Leaf considered my MFDB beyond repair and so I replaced it and all had an IR pass filter made using the old filter holder.

Eric Reschly

I'd give one of the dealers who advertise here a call. Another route might be talking to Kolari or LifePixel folks who do the IR conversions as they would have cleaning options in a clean room environment.

In my case Leaf was still actively servicing gear in NY and my Aptus 65M went to them for assessment and repair (IR glass replacement). My dealer at the time got me the new IR glass directly since Leaf considered my MFDB beyond repair and so I replaced it and all had an IR pass filter made using the old filter holder.
Ok thanks for the help.