The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical camera Images before and after movements..Show us your images!!

ndwgolf

I'm only a film photographer but have lots of experience with movements. Outside of studio product shot or direct architectural assignments (i.e. shoot the building like a product shot) it always struck me that there were few interesting shots that cried out for swings or tilts at all. Because unless you were photographing completely bland horizon line landscapes with nothing but pebbles in the foreground, any tilt would adversely affect focus of any near foreground object not in the plane. Likewise for swings if you dare show any foreground on the opposite side of the image.

If you look at a student's work with tilt and see a crisp sharp foreground and a nice sharp horizon... look up at the blurry clouds in the sky! hahaha No free lunch!

What is invaluable is rise/fall and shift vertical and horizontal movements. No drawbacks until the lens vignettes or softens.

Later on in my career, free from assignments or impressing gullible art directors, I used a simplified camera with limited movements and never missed a beat.

If you read between the lines in Ansel Adams, "The Camera" you can tell that he set out to find subjects (at great pain) to use as camera demonstration examples, not art pieces. I bet if he were left to his own devices he probably rarely used any tilt or swing with his landscapes. (They didn't call themselves the f/64 Group for nothing.)

The other point, in case you're new, is that the wider the lens, the more you range you'll need of shift and rise/fall. With a longer lens a little smidge goes a long way (or just cheat).
Thank you frankly for the feedback........I will try that

foveon

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.

In practice, there is.
I have done this often with a loupe on the large groundglass of my 5x7 and cannot imagin what you see on the tiny lcd or tiny GG, so in practice you have to use the theory.^^

darr

Thanks Dave........I will try that.

To be honest in the past I have tried to do this after watching youtube videos but to my eye I have found it very difficult to get it right especially when photographing something up close like a flower using my 360mm lens where you want both the front petals sharp and also the rear petals sharp.....in the end I have given up and just got the middle sharp and then shot at f64

Maybe for a landscape it is not quite so difficult

Neil
If you are entering into macro territory with a flower, focus stacking is about the only way to get it all in sharp focus.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Code:
I have done this often with a loupe on the large groundglass of my 5x7 and cannot imagin what you see on the tiny lcd or tiny GG, so in practice you have to use the theory.^^
very easy to do with LiveView, as you can zoom in to the near point and far point and fine tune. for me easier than a loupe on a 4x5 ground glass.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Or simply take a dozen captures and converge to the desired result. Digital captures are (almost) free.