Site Sponsors

Thread: Technical camera Images before and after movements..Show us your images!!

Post Thanks / Like

Technical camera Images before and after movements..Show us your images!!

I thought it would be very interesting to see the effects of movements in your images using your technical rigs. Please post at least 2 images , before and after and note your set up and amount of movement you felt necessary and why. This
    should make for interesting conversations...especially for me who has no experience using a technical camera and would love to learn more.

Cheers

Don
    Last edited by aztwang; 5 Days Ago at 15:25.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Technical camera Images before and after movements

Quote Originally Posted by aztwang View Post
    I thought it would be very interesting to see the effects of movements in your images using your technical rigs. Please note your set up and amount of movement you felt necessary and why. This
    should make for interesting conversations...especially for me who has no experience using a technical camera and would love to learn more.

Cheers

Don
    Don,

This is s great idea! To me, at least, it is a mystery, and what better way to learn the way of tech cameras?
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Technical camera Images before and after movements

With my RM3D i'm shooting architecture most of the time... and most of the time tilt isn't an option.
    So the camera is leveled, and i use shift to frame... that's it !

Quote Originally Posted by aztwang View Post
    I thought it would be very interesting to see the effects of movements in your images using your technical rigs. Please note your set up and amount of movement you felt necessary and why. This

Cheers

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Technical camera Images before and after movements..Show us your images!!

I never shoot a "before". I just make the movements I want and shoot that.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Not medium format, but this link has some illustrations of using tilt & shift: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/58...ster-tsii.html

Latest examples of tilts I have were shot two days ago:

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience with a view camera shooting 4x5, using tilt affects the focus significantly enough that you need to adjust focus/tilt numerous time to obtain the results that I want on the groundglass, however the tilt mechanism on my view camera is not "on axis".

With an on axis tilt mechanism such as the Arca tech cameras, is it possible to use tilt without the back and forth focusing that I'm used to, without the use of good live view or a ground glass/sliding back? I suppose just like calibrating infinity/hyperfocal, you can do some calibration at certain apertures/tilt amounts so you "know" where focus lies, even with tilt applied, although I suppose rise/fall could affect this.

Or do you just shoot, review, adjust, rinse, repeat, until you have the results you are looking for?

I ask because I have an older 22MP back that has pretty much useless focus reviewing capabilities. Shooting tethered is the only reliable way to check focus, and doing tethered in the field requires a laptop and a power source for the back which is not really an option in most cases.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by med View Post
    In my experience with a view camera shooting 4x5, using tilt affects the focus significantly enough that you need to adjust focus/tilt numerous time to obtain the results that I want on the groundglass, however the tilt mechanism on my view camera is not "on axis".

With an on axis tilt mechanism such as the Arca tech cameras, is it possible to use tilt without the back and forth focusing that I'm used to, without the use of good live view or a ground glass/sliding back? I suppose just like calibrating infinity/hyperfocal, you can do some calibration at certain apertures/tilt amounts so you "know" where focus lies, even with tilt applied, although I suppose rise/fall could affect this.

Or do you just shoot, review, adjust, rinse, repeat, until you have the results you are looking for?

I ask because I have an older 22MP back that has pretty much useless focus reviewing capabilities. Shooting tethered is the only reliable way to check focus, and doing tethered in the field requires a laptop and a power source for the back which is not really an option in most cases.
    Quoting myself as I think I answered my own question... I think I thought tilts with systems like the RM3di were in fact yaw free, but it doesn't look like they are (although they are close with wide angles) so either ground glass, live view, or shoot/adjust/adjust/repeat is necessary for judging focus on tilts properly.

Post Thanks / Like

I also spent the best part of 8 years shooting 5x4 on a Linhof technikarden, now I use a Cambo WRS 5000 with an IQ260 with T/S lenses,

You're asking the very same question I had before I bought my kit - exactly how does the focusing work, like you say - with my 5x4 kit, I'd be under the hood, rolling the focus back and forth, with my right hand on the tilt - adjusting both at once, with the loupe pressed against the groundglass, until I thought it was just right.

When I got my WRS I thought I'd use the groundglass - the reality is that it's so small I just don't bother.

Because the lenses are in helical focussing mounts, I know from practise that if I set my rodenstock 32 to infinity and apply around 1 degree of front tilt, maybe 0.5 or 1.5 depending on tripod height, I don't need to check anything - the images will be deadly sharp, occasionally I'll apply some swing, occasionally I'll take a couple of test shots to make sure everything is perfect, but generally - I've never needed to spend ages focussing,

Sometimes I do use live view, (which sucks on the IQ260) but I normally just use it quickly to check composition with things like rise and fall, never for focus - to be honest when I tried an IQ250 with great live view I didn't use it for focus.

Quote Originally Posted by med View Post

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post