The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX > Fringer adapter > Contax 140mm & 210mm. Any experience?

Jeroen

I need LONGER lenses for my GFX , and I need them NOW! The Fringer Contax > GFX adapter looks interesting because it’s the only combination that can do AF which would definitely be nice. But I read mixed opinions on this forum about the Contax 140mm (nice bokeh but a lot of CA), and the 210mm just isn’t stellar I hear. Any experience here? Some examples would be very nice, RAW even better ;-)

And how about AF-performance? In the Youtube movies by Fringer the AF seems more than acceptable, even though he says it’s not as fast as Fuji lenses. Does AF hunt a lot in real life? What about backlit situations?

Or should I look at other MF-lenses like a ~150mm and a ~200mm from either Hasselblad, Pentax 645 or 6x7, or Mamiya. Not sure I want to go the FF (35mm) road: a 135mm will simply be too short for me.

FYI, my subjects are people, mostly shot indoors (corporate portraits, work situations etc). I always work with a tripod and like a shallow depth of field (never stopped down more than 2 stops, mostly 1 stop or none). Example with Fuji 110mm @F2.0:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, looking forward to your replies!

DougDolde

I used to use Contax 645 and yes the 210mm isnt as good as the 140mm. I prefer to use the Mutar with the 140mm. My copy of the 140mm was great

Agree this is a great solution for the GFX, Contax 645 lenses are exceptionally good for the most part and dirt cheap on Ebay. If you are shooting landscapes a bit slower AF speed is no issue

I think the worst is the 45mm which was soft in the corners, but the 45-90 was very good at 45mm