The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

film back on RM3Di

bomzi

Is anyone using a film back on their RM3Di? I'd love to know which back you are using and what your thoughts are on it.

RodK

Is anyone using a film back on their RM3Di? I'd love to know which back you are using and what your thoughts are on it.
Arca-Swiss and Horseman backs will work quite well as they are basically the same. Also the RB67 film backs will work very well. The Pro and ProSD backs from Mamiya are the best ones to get. All are used but quite reasonable in price.
All backs will require the 080002n back adapter. If you find a used one it must have an 'N' stamped on it like your ground glass or DB adapter does. If it does not have the 'N', it will not focus accurately at all distances.
I hope this helps.
Rod

med

Possibly a stupid question,but is there any way that I can use Hasselblad H or V (A12) film backs on the RM3Di? I have never tried advancing my A12 backs manually... I assume you would need a way to let the back know that you have mad an exposure. If you were able to do that, does the “stopper” only work for Frame #1 or all frames?

jng

Possibly a stupid question,but is there any way that I can use Hasselblad H or V (A12) film backs on the RM3Di? I have never tried advancing my A12 backs manually... I assume you would need a way to let the back know that you have mad an exposure. If you were able to do that, does the “stopper” only work for Frame #1 or all frames?
Hmmm, interesting point. I too was thinking about using my old Hassy backs on my Cambo but hadn't considered the issue of advancing the film after each exposure! If you have or can get your hands on an older V system back (i.e., 12 vs. A12), you can peak through the hole in the back and watch for the number printed on the backing paper as you advance the film. I'm assuming, of course, that there are still numbers to be seen - it's been ages since I've used 120 film in these old backs!

John

med

Hmmm, interesting point. I too was thinking about using my old Hassy backs on my Cambo but hadn't considered the issue of advancing the film after each exposure! If you have or can get your hands on an older V system back (i.e., 12 vs. A12), you can peak through the hole in the back and watch for the number printed on the backing paper as you advance the film. I'm assuming, of course, that there are still numbers to be seen - it's been ages since I've used 120 film in these old backs!

John
A few years ago I put some 120 through a Holga and the printed numbers are indeed alive and well!

The person I am buying my RM3Di from has a couple of Mamiya RB 6x8 backs and the adaptor plate available. I will probably just buy them along with the camera. It would have been nice to use my old 6x6 backs though.

How do y'all frame up while using a film back? As far as I know Arca doesn't have 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, or 6x9 masks available for the Variofinder. Is there a good way to hold a smartphone in the accesory mount of the Arca cameras (Alpa style)?

epforever

I did this years ago -- can't recall the context -- and from what I remember, you need to let the back know you've made an exposure only after the first frame. (You need to wind the back forward from frame 1 to 2 using a Hasselblad body.) After that, you can use the crank on the side of the back to advance to each next exposure.

med

I did this years ago -- can't recall the context -- and from what I remember, you need to let the back know you've made an exposure only after the first frame. (You need to wind the back forward from frame 1 to 2 using a Hasselblad body.) After that, you can use the crank on the side of the back to advance to each next exposure.
Thanks! Maybe I'll try this with an old expired roll to see if it is viable before sourcing a V plate for the RM. When manually advancing, did the back stop on its own or did you have to guess where to stop?

JohnBrew

How do y'all frame up while using a film back? As far as I know Arca doesn't have 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, or 6x9 masks available for the Variofinder. Is there a good way to hold a smartphone in the accesory mount of the Arca cameras (Alpa style)?
Yes, they do. I'm using 6x6 masks for my Rodenstocks. Call RodK.

Last edited:

archivue

Best one, but needs battery... 9 exposures / Roll

9 is a good number for bracketing... 3x 3 ( -1 exp +1 )

Mamiya RB67 PRO S SD 120/220 POWER DRIVE 6x8 FILM BACK HOLDER Motorized Magazine

med

Best one, but needs battery... 9 exposures / Roll

9 is a good number for bracketing... 3x 3 ( -1 exp +1 )

Mamiya RB67 PRO S SD 120/220 POWER DRIVE 6x8 FILM BACK HOLDER Motorized Magazine

That is the one that the seller has available. Actually he has two... and the two together plus the plate are less than an Arca film back so I will probably go this route.