The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Trichromatic In Depth Article with Raw Files

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've just completed a 7000-word two-part technical article on the new Phase One IQ3 100mp Trichromatic covering the following topics:
- Why the launch marketing materials could easily confuse reader about what improvements were made
- An intro to color science for those that might need a refresher
- Behind-the-scenes information on the relationship between Phase One and Sony
- WHAT specific improvements were made
- HOW those specific improvements manifest in real world images
- DOWNLOADABLE raw file comparisons of the IQ3 100mp and IQ3 100mp Trichromatic

You can read that two-part article here:
- Phase One Trichromatic: Part 1, The Science - How color works, more or less
- Phase One Trichromatic: Part 2, The Results - What was improved, and how.

Want to play with a Trichromatic yourself?
- In the last two weeks we had Trichromatic Open Houses in New York and LA with the head of Phase One R+D and the head of its Color Science team.
- Next week we host the official Phase One booth at Photo Plus Expo in NYC.
- The week after we come to Austin and Houston for open houses and to teach Capture One Masters Program.
- We are always glad to arrange for you to test the back at your own studio or home. Just contact us.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
thanks. I enjoyed both articles and believe they were very helpful in understanding what goals Phase had in mind, and how they feel they succeeded. The comparisons were very useful.

The updated comparison using the curves instead of the triangles went a long way in clearing up some major misconceptions I had about the back.

ejpeiker

As I mentioned on the other site that you posted this to, thanks much for writing this up. The new back makes total sense now, something Phase One's initial marketing efforts failed at.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Not only great but entertaining too:

”cutting these tails turns out to significantly improve the rendering of problematic subject matter, turning dark leather red, skies purple, and dark skin tones slightly Oompa-Loompa” :thumbs::ROTFL:

Shashin

Doug, you may want to run a spell checker through your text. I found one obvious typo, I am sure there are others:

New Color Response: This means taht, among other things...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
thanks. I enjoyed both articles and believe they were very helpful in understanding what goals Phase had in mind, and how they feel they succeeded. The comparisons were very useful.

The updated comparison using the curves instead of the triangles went a long way in clearing up some major misconceptions I had about the back.
As I mentioned on the other site that you posted this to, thanks much for writing this up. The new back makes total sense now, something Phase One's initial marketing efforts failed at.
Great articles, Doug - thank you!
Not only great but entertaining too:

”cutting these tails turns out to significantly improve the rendering of problematic subject matter, turning dark leather red, skies purple, and dark skin tones slightly Oompa-Loompa” :thumbs::ROTFL:
Thank you for reading and your kind words. When I tried to have my wife read it she fell asleep, so it's reassuring that at least other photo nerds found it worth a skim :).

vjbelle

Doug..... an incredible effort on your part and greatly appreciated. There really does seem to be some improvement albeit not in relation to the price I would have to pay for the upgrade. For me its much better to wait for the IQ4 with the upgraded sensor and casing and maybe, even, Gorilla glass on the LCD screen. :thumbup:

Cheers....

Victor

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Doug..... an incredible effort on your part and greatly appreciated. There really does seem to be some improvement albeit not in relation to the price I would have to pay for the upgrade. For me its much better to wait for the IQ4 with the upgraded sensor and casing and maybe, even, Gorilla glass on the LCD screen. :thumbup:

Cheers....

Victor
I agree Victor on all points. Great article, sit out until IQ4 and presumably the new bayer array being the norm and tougher LCD glass. Regarding the latter, www.screenpatronus.com can provide screen protectors. I've used them on all of my P+ and IQ backs.

tcdeveau

Nice article Doug! Very helpful in conceptualizing the new back and putting it in perspective, something the Phase marketing materials didn't do such a great job of.
-Todd

Abstraction

Having read the article, I came away with a couple of important concepts. The Trichromatic back is better because Niels says it's better and we should listen to Niels because Niels is like grandpa and grandpa knows what he's talking about!

That's pretty much all I needed to know. :p

drunkenspyder

Thanks Doug for these pieces. I found them very informative. I am waiting on shipment of my Phase One kit with Trichromatic back, and an accompanying Alpa STC kit for good measure, this week. Haven't shot MF in almost three decades, but am looking forward to it again.

hcubell

Having read the article, I came away with a couple of important concepts. The Trichromatic back is better because Niels says it's better and we should listen to Niels because Niels is like grandpa and grandpa knows what he's talking about!

That's pretty much all I needed to know. :p
I understand that explanation much better than the allegedly fake science graphs.

V

Vivek

In addition to software making the output of a normal bayer look better, the UV/IR cut filetr ona sensor also would take care of the issues with UV and IR contaminating a sensor.

Does the trichromatic sensor ships without an UV IR cut cover glass (since according to the articles the CFA has no sensitivity to UV or IR it does not need it?)?