The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New firmware for X1D

tcdeveau

"Possible to use the full round aperture of the XCD Lenses"

Excited about this. I'll give it a go with the 90mm when I get home from work tonight.

Being able to select AF point via touchscreen is also something I've been wanting.

hcubell

I can now press a button on the X1D body to call up the AF point selection grid and use my finger on the left side of the touch screen to move the point selected while looking through the viewfinder. For me, this is much more efficient to use than a joystick on the right side of the camera body, as I hold the camera body with my right hand and use my right eye to look through the EVF. So much for no joystick!
To be frank, I am pleasantly surprised by the rapid pace at which Hasselblad is issuing firmware upgrades. It demonstrates a commitment to the X1D system that is reassuring. The list of missing items in the firmware is dwindling fast.

abed

I can now press a button on the X1D body to call up the AF point selection grid and use my finger on the left side of the touch screen to move the point selected while looking through the viewfinder. For me, this is much more efficient to use than a joystick on the right side of the camera body, as I hold the camera body with my right hand and use my right eye to look through the EVF. So much for no joystick!
To be frank, I am pleasantly surprised by the rapid pace at which Hasselblad is issuing firmware upgrades. It demonstrates a commitment to the X1D system that is reassuring. The list of missing items in the firmware is dwindling fast.
Much impressed with the new firmware, been testing this afternoon. But I don't understand why do you have to "press a button to call up the AF point". After configuring the touch screen control of the AF point, you only have to bring the camera to your eye and move the point to area of focus.

hcubell

Much impressed with the new firmware, been testing this afternoon. But I don't understand why do you have to "press a button to call up the AF point". After configuring the touch screen control of the AF point, you only have to bring the camera to your eye and move the point to area of focus.
Good question. With the prior firmware, you couldn't move the AF point unless the grid was first called up. I had assumed that was still the case, so that's the way I tested it.

tashley

Subscriber Member
No change to auto ISO behaviour. I’m starting to think there’s some reason they can’t do it, given what low hanging fruit it should be and what a poor system it currently has...

hcubell

No change to auto ISO behaviour. I’m starting to think there’s some reason they can’t do it, given what low hanging fruit it should be and what a poor system it currently has...
Yes, that does seem like low hanging fruit. Just like exposure bracketing. Strange. You know who to email about it!!!

tcdeveau

I just did the update for the camera and for the lenses. I tested out the bokeh with the 90mm XCD but I'm still seeing octagonal....anyone else? (I tried with "normal" shutter and e-shutter)

Really an ingenious move from Hasselblad !!

How to transform one of the most criticized ergonomic disadvantages (lack of joystick) to a distinctive advantage (touch pad control AF points with EVF). I never have been a fan of moving AF points because of slow and awkward handling (even with joysticks), but with this implementation I might be using it very often.

I have not seen this kind of implementation via EVF with other camera brands (maybe somebody knows).

The next iteration, I immediately wished for is: step 1: move AF point with finger on touch pad while composing through EVF, step 2: double tap to focus on that AF point or (via preferences) double tap to focus and shoot immediately. That would mean: no more AF-D button needed.

I just did the update for the camera and for the lenses. I tested out the bokeh with the 90mm XCD but I'm still seeing octagonal....anyone else? (I tried with "normal" shutter and e-shutter)
This will only work with full aperture, e.g. f/3.2 with the 90mm. You can see the difference clearly if you look in the lens with DOF preview activated (also shown in the manual page 107). Maybe we have a f/2.8 now.

The octagonal bokeh is most accentuated with the 90mm although it is also visible with the other two lenses. As far as I can see, the firmware update (full round) gives perfectly round shapes at least in the centre.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

This will only work with full aperture, e.g. f/3.2 with the 90mm. You can see the difference clearly if you look in the lens with DOF preview activated (also shown in the manual page 107). Maybe we have a f/2.8 know.

The octagonal bokeh is most accentuated with the 90mm although it is also visible with the other two lenses. As far as I can see, the firmware update (full round) gives perfectly round shapes at least in the centre.
Thanks for pointing that out! Apparently this was a case of "I should've read the manual"....I didn't realize there was a menu setting you had to change. Anyway, set to full, no more octagonal @ 3.2 with the 90mm :clap:

hcubell

You are right. No need to call up the grid anymore. Just swipe away!

hcubell

My Panasonic GM5 works this way, I find joysticks clumsy in comparison.
The ergonomics are all wrong when the joystick is on the right side of the camera body and the grip for the camera that you use to hold the camera is also on the right side. Why are the joysticks not on the left side of the body???

abed

Not sure this was fixed in the latest firmare, but Phocus Mobile now works like a charm. Way back when I got the X1D, it did not work well, could not focus, and was quite erratic. Anybody else noticed this?

SrMphoto

The ergonomics are all wrong when the joystick is on the right side of the camera body and the grip for the camera that you use to hold the camera is also on the right side. Why are the joysticks not on the left side of the body???
I do not understand how you are holding the camera. In my case I use the left hand to hold the lens and handle focus and/or zoom, while using the right hand to hold onto the grip, one finger on shutter, thumb on joystick to move the focus point. Especially with wildlife photography, everything is being handled at the same time and with a heavy lens, you need to support it with the left hand. On tripod it is less of an issue what is where.