The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo WRS or Cambo Actus DB and H4D60

john

Members:

I will appreciate your comments and experience as I am thinking about landscape work again. For the record, I am a long time Leica S (S (006) and several FP and CS lenses) photographer, and quite satisfied with resulting on location portraits in BW. I print mostly in BW using piezography (Cone inks), on Epson printers. (Going to sell Epson 7880 with Cone inks). But I am going to get back to do more color (using HP 3200) landscape work. There is an opportunity to purchase a Hasselblad H4D 60, and I am thinking about using the back on a technical camera. Many years ago had the H3DII39 back on a Cambo WRS. So I have some experience with both the quality of the images and the challenges in the workflow. My main questions are:
1) For stitching very large landscapes, is there an important difference between the WRS type and the Actus DB?
2) Is the 60mp Hasselblad back going to give me a huge gain over the 39mp Leica camera and lenses in print quality? I recognize how important lens selection is for the technical camera.
3) Should I consider a CMOS camera/back at a higher price point?
4) Is there a demonstrable large print difference between the 60mp CCD and the 50mp CMOS.

Thanks for responding, and for any other insights that seems relevant for more carefully composed landscape work.

Direct email: [email protected]

John

Hi John

My .02 cents...

(1) Besides the obvious form factor difference...I believe the Cambo RS has a wider range of movements for shifting and rise/fall. I have an RS and an Actus DB+. So it just depends on how far you hope to stitch and if your lens has a large enough image circle to cover that amount. Of course the ACTUS DB has better tilt functionality. Both are not that different in weight.

(2) I can't speak for the Leica...but FWIW, I've owned a 22MP, 40MP, 60MP, 80MP and 100MP digital backs. Setting aside the benefits of the larger sensor's ability to be cropped more, and assuming you are using the same lens (high quality). For me, it comes down to print size. If you are printing really large...upwards of 30x40"+ ...then more MP are nice. If you never print larger than 17x22...I say go with 40MP and put your money in lenses or travel $. Again assuming we are talking about similar vintage sensors.

(3) CMOS is great...there are definitely benefits on the new MF sensors from the last year or two. Live preview works better, higher ISO's, etc. If money isn't an issue...go for it. If you find a great CCD back...they still take make great images.

(4) Depends on the subject matter, ISO etc. In a studio, at base ISO, shooting a still life with strobe for example...It would be closer than you would think. Making 30x40" prints of that scene and comparing would be even closer. Assuming you step back a foot or two and look at it like a normal person :)

Best,

Jordan