The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D gets highest rating from DxOMark

Gerd

The 645Z already had 101 points in 2014/2015. However, DxO has never released the promised review.

I do not find it surprising that a 2-3 years later camera can get a point more.

Greeting Gerd

PS: To my knowledge, the X1D has 14 bits of RAW and not 16 bits as specified in the article - even if the RAW file is 16 bits created.

tcdeveau

Congrats to Hasselblad, they should be proud of this and be proud of the X system

That being said, these rankings/marks are fairly meaningless IMHO. Many of us have seen the 101 score for the 645z, and I'm sure the GFX and H5D-50c/H6D-50c/Credo 50/IQ123 50 would also perform just as well as the 645z or X1D (or better) according to the DXO marks.

I've been fortunate enough to own and shoot with the D800E, D810, A7RII, 645z, and now the X1D. They're all top performers according to DXO and excellent cameras, and there wasn't anything I could do with one that I couldn't do with another according to my shooting style (any limitations are based solely on lens selection between MF and 35mm). When I was generating revenue with photography, it was with Nikon. As far as awards go, I recently had an A7RII image that was a finalist in a big contest (1 of 49 finalists from 52k entries). For personal projects, last set of images was a full-spectrum A7R and 645z. I'm currently shooting with the X1D and love it. The only image of mine that has ever actually won an award I took with a D300 and 50mm 1.8 D Nikkor, and any of the top DXO contenders these days are miles better than the D300. They're all great and I consider myself fortunate to be a photographer in an era where there are so many great options out there.

Paul2660

DxO until about 2 weeks ago, still thought the GFX used x-trans on the sensor. Based on the fact that the knowledge of this not being the case has been out for over a year, makes you wonder just how much research they do.

And as already posted, based on the 101 score (which was not finished, thus the score odds are would have been higher), no doubt the 50MP Sony chip is a winner and it makes you wonder if they will ever test the 100MP chip on a Hasselblad or P1 camera.

Paul Caldwell

Michiel Schierbeek

The 645Z already had 101 points in 2014/2015. However, DxO has never released the promised review.

Greeting Gerd

PS: To my knowledge, the X1D has 14 bits of RAW and not 16 bits as specified in the article - even if the RAW file is 16 bits created.
Enjoying this chip for almost two years now in the Pentax 645Z.
I doubt there is much difference in image quality. Never had any complaints about the way Ricoh/Pentax handles Sony sensor based files.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Yes, I recall that they have shown the 645Z rating.

When DxO-mark was presented, it was suggested that it took something like 5 points for a noticable difference.

The X1D-files are 16 bits, but only each fourth digital number is used:
X1DRaw.JPG

The only real 16-bit file coming from an MFD that i have seen was from Phase One's IQ3100MP. It seems that sensor has 15 EVs of DR and actually uses 16 bit analogue to digital conversion.

I would guess that Sony could add 16-bit conversion to the 44x33 mm sensor, but that would just sample four times the noise and take four times longer.

Best regards
Erik

Greeting Gerd