The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nisi Filter Adapter - stuck, suggestions?

dave.gt

So far, I have tried numerous thing to get the 67mm adapter to loosen in order to replace t with the 77mm adapter. Freezing, hot water, leather strap. Nothing works. I now have it in a practice baggie dialing in WD40, in the sun. I will check later today.

Any ideas? Is there a special wrench for this?

darr

I have used nitrile gloves in the past and they worked wonders. For me it was not being able to get a good enough grip. I use these gloves for darkroom work and buy them by the box. Maybe you got some of these?

M

mjr

Dave

I have had a few stuck filters in the past, what has always worked for me is a thick elastic band, like the type postmen wrap around their letters, not sure you have the same thing on your side of the pond! Anyway, a good thick elastic band provides a fantastic grip and can undo pretty much anything. Worth a try and very cheap.

Mat

dave.gt

You can also get a filter wrench.
The problem actually is the adapter is stuck on the filter holder.. It would be simple if it were stuck to the lens... I will post an image later today. Stacking firewood at the moment...:)

dchew

Schneider ships a translucent sheet of rubber-ish material with their Center Filters. That’s what you need. It works wonders. You simply set the adapter flat on it and twist the filter. There is enough friction at the rubber / metal interface they separate no problem.

See if you can find a sheet of soft rubber somewhere. Set it on there and twist.

dave.gt

Schneider ships a translucent sheet of rubber-ish material with their Center Filters. That’s what you need. It works wonders. You simply set the adapter flat on it and twist the filter. There is enough friction at the rubber / metal interface they separate no problem.

See if you can find a sheet of soft rubber somewhere. Set it on there and twist.
HEADS UP!!!!

***GEAR TIP OF THE DAY ALERT!!!***

Dave Chew suggested using a sheet of rubber. Schneider ingeniously provides a sheet or something similar... hmmm.

The Nisi filters and holder are first class, but no tips or rubber sheets are included. So, I experimented:

ACTION RESULT
Freezing.....None
Heating......None
Pressure.... None
Leather.......None
Creative
Profanity.....None (Well, I felt a little better..)

Then, I sew Dave Chew's post after a day of failed attempts and I was already tired from the annual firewood chore, I looked around... nope, there is no rubber around here.... except... yeah, I remembered the blue sticky sheets we got from Rehab at Emory. The sheets have a name but I forgot... but they are used on tabletops to keep plates, paper, cups, etc from sliding around when a patient has only one useable hand to use for eating, drinking, crafts, art, etc.

Worth a try...

So I placed the adapter on the blue sticky sheet which had a sticky table placemat underneath it. The flat dining room table was my work bench. I placed my palms and the heel of my hand down on the adapter providing as much even pressure as possible all around, and with little effort, a simple anti-clockwise twist with my palm... I heard a sliding sound immediately and the adapter was FREE!!!!

SUCCESS!!! Unbelievably, it was that simple! It was that easy.. !!!

Thanks to Dave Chew, I can now use the great Nisi system on the 50mm lens.
Wow!!
Thanks, Dave!!!:):):)

JohnBrew

Good for you, Dave! I have, at the moment, the same problem with a couple of stacked Formatt filters so will give the nitrile glove treatment a whirl

dave.gt

Good for you, Dave! I have, at the moment, the same problem with a couple of stacked Formatt filters so will give the nitrile glove treatment a whirl
John, I tried the gloves...didn't work. I did invent some new words, though.
Are you using circular filters that screw onto the lens? If so, they may work well. Keep us updated on the progress of getting unstuck!:)

Filter wrenches are a good bet... cheap at BH Photo.

JohnBrew

Dave, stuck filters are nothing new to me here at the beach as I blame the priblem on fluctuating humidity. Usually I just lay them on my workbench for several days and then they unscrew without a problem. However, the latest "stick" job has proven problematic.
Over the years I have read numerous solutions to this problem and I can't say any of them were particularly successful. More a matter of holding your mouth right (good luck) than anything else. I once sacrificed one filter to save another by using some diagonal cutters to snip the edge and then literally peeling it off the other filter!
The present case isn't so bad as I normally use this setup, two combined filters to give me 16 stop ND, so I'm not overly concerned (yet!).

dave.gt

Dave, stuck filters are nothing new to me here at the beach as I blame the priblem on fluctuating humidity. Usually I just lay them on my workbench for several days and then they unscrew without a problem. However, the latest "stick" job has proven problematic.
Over the years I have read numerous solutions to this problem and I can't say any of them were particularly successful. More a matter of holding your mouth right (good luck) than anything else. I once sacrificed one filter to save another by using some diagonal cutters to snip the edge and then literally peeling it off the other filter!
The present case isn't so bad as I normally use this setup, two combined filters to give me 16 stop ND, so I'm not overly concerned (yet!).
John, I hear ya!

In the fly fishing world, stuck ferrules are common but the cure is using ferrule wax and it really works... Never sticks anymore.

My buddy is a lifelong Orvis certified instructor and he uses "nose grease". I prefer the wax.

I think I will try it on the aluminum adapter rings...

jdphoto

You might need to carefully cut small slots in each side of the filter, so it can be removed like a spanner wrench. Much like removing elements. Just take a small flat piece of metal and span both slots and turn. This is a last resort workaround, but should work with round filters.

Last edited: