The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about GFX as a view camera

davidsuchoff

Greetings all!
Just a brief introduction - my name is David, I'm an amateur photographer and mainly shoot botanical macro/extreme macro photography. I've been keeping a close eye on the Fuji GFX as I would like to move into the medium format realm.
I very much like the idea of using the GFX as a digital back for studio photography. Instead of purchasing the Cambo Actus-GFX, I was planning to purchase a used 4x5 such as the Cambo Master. My main reason here would be that, because of the lenses I have/want to use, I would need to get the longer rail and bellows for the Actus-GFX making it quite expensive. Something like a (used) Master 4x5 is already plenty long and all it would need is the GFX back.
My question is, when using lenses like the Schneider Macro-Symmar HM 120mm, would there be color fringing or is this mainly associated with wide angle lenses?
Any input would be greatly appreciated! I've been lurking on this forum for some months now and find the discourse and photographs posted to be highly enlightening.

Thanks!
David

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Har to know what you mean by colour fringing. Lenses have colour fringing that can be lateral or axial. That fringing is a property of the lens.

With sensors, you can have lens cast. Digital sensors don't play with large beam angles. Symmetric wide angles are often problematic, longer lenses are seldom problematic. Using a large amount of tilt can possibly cause issues with beam angles, but heavy tilts are normally not needed.

So, I would not be to worried about that.

Best regards
Erik

Greetings all!
Just a brief introduction - my name is David, I'm an amateur photographer and mainly shoot botanical macro/extreme macro photography. I've been keeping a close eye on the Fuji GFX as I would like to move into the medium format realm.
I very much like the idea of using the GFX as a digital back for studio photography. Instead of purchasing the Cambo Actus-GFX, I was planning to purchase a used 4x5 such as the Cambo Master. My main reason here would be that, because of the lenses I have/want to use, I would need to get the longer rail and bellows for the Actus-GFX making it quite expensive. Something like a (used) Master 4x5 is already plenty long and all it would need is the GFX back.
My question is, when using lenses like the Schneider Macro-Symmar HM 120mm, would there be color fringing or is this mainly associated with wide angle lenses?
Any input would be greatly appreciated! I've been lurking on this forum for some months now and find the discourse and photographs posted to be highly enlightening.

Thanks!
David

davidsuchoff

Thank you, Erik. Yes, what I was meaning to say was lens cast, not fringing.

David

Hi,

Har to know what you mean by colour fringing. Lenses have colour fringing that can be lateral or axial. That fringing is a property of the lens.

With sensors, you can have lens cast. Digital sensors don't play with large beam angles. Symmetric wide angles are often problematic, longer lenses are seldom problematic. Using a large amount of tilt can possibly cause issues with beam angles, but heavy tilts are normally not needed.

So, I would not be to worried about that.

Best regards
Erik