The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca R Systems with Film

DanielDuarte

I haven't found much information on peoples experience with the R systems and film, just that it clearly possible. I'm aware that in theory it works but I was wondering if anyone here is using that combo and whether it's worth it. I understand "worth" varies from person to person.

Thanks!

med

I haven't found much information on peoples experience with the R systems and film, just that it clearly possible. I'm aware that in theory it works but I was wondering if anyone here is using that combo and whether it's worth it. I understand "worth" varies from person to person.

Thanks!
Are you referring to using a roll film back on the FACTUM or RM3Di, or using 4x5 on the RL3D? If the former, I will be trying that out this week... and possibly comparing negatives from my RM3Di with 6x8 film against Hasselblad V lenses on 6x6 and 645 just for the fun of it, although that's a lot of camera to carry around!

I suspect that with the quality of the R lenses it will certainly be worth it, that is if your definition of "worth" still enjoys or appreciates a good negative or chrome every now and then.

DanielDuarte

Are you referring to using a roll film back on the FACTUM or RM3Di, or using 4x5 on the RL3D? If the former, I will be trying that out this week... and possibly comparing negatives from my RM3Di with 6x8 film against Hasselblad V lenses on 6x6 and 645 just for the fun of it, although that's a lot of camera to carry around!

I suspect that with the quality of the R lenses it will certainly be worth it, that is if your definition of "worth" still enjoys or appreciates a good negative or chrome every now and then.
Yes, roll film on a RL3DI.

A friend offered me his camera, 6x9 back, and a schneider 72mm digitar for 2 grand...

Seems like a pretty nice offer but I don't want to get stuck in the Arca black hole with glass.

R Mount glass is expensive when sourced new and they don't show their faces that often used.

med

Yes, roll film on a RL3DI.

A friend offered me his camera, 6x9 back, and a schneider 72mm digitar for 2 grand...

Seems like a pretty nice offer but I don't want to get stuck in the Arca black hole with glass.

R Mount glass is expensive when sourced new and they don't show their faces that often used.

That does indeed seem like a great price! I just put a roll of Pan F through my RM3Di and it was a breeze, although I was mostly guesstimating framing and movements since I don’t have a variofinder... I would say the finder would be mandatory (or close to it) for film shooting, or I suppose you could use the ground glass. Sadly I don’t have one of those either!

archivue

It's really nice but you need lenses with a large image circle to cover the 6x9 with movements !

the best option is to use a rotaslide.