The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New XCD Roadmap with New Lenses and Specs

tcdeveau

Hasselblad put out a new XCD lens roadmap today:

http://static.hasselblad.com/2017/11/Pressrelease_XCD_Roadmap_Final.pdf

Abridged version: the 22mm is now a 21mm f4, the 65mm is f2.8, and the 35-75mm is f/3.5-4.5.

They’re ramping up production of the 120mm

They also announced a 135mm f2.8 with dedicated 1.7x teleconvertor in addition to an 80mm which will be “the highest aperture lens Hasselblad has ever produced”

All aside from the 120mm should be available in 2018. I’m really excited about the new lenses, just hope they get them out in a timely manner.

iiiNelson

Looks like a great lineup. Personally I’m waiting on the next generation of medium format mirrorless cameras that’ll likely combine CDAF & PDAF (along with generational operational performance improvements). Fuji and Hasselblad both seem to be offering nice roadmaps though so can’t go wrong with either choice I feel.

tcdeveau

Joe, I hope you get your 120mm soon! I've skipped the 120mm for now because I'm trying to hold on to funds for the 65 and 21mm, or the zoom, as I need those focal lengths more than 120mm.

Looks like a great lineup. Personally I’m waiting on the next generation of medium format mirrorless cameras that’ll likely combine CDAF & PDAF (along with generational operational performance improvements). Fuji and Hasselblad both seem to be offering nice roadmaps though so can’t go wrong with either choice I feel.
Hasselblad has done a great job with firmware updates that have brought operational improvements to the X1D IMHO. The new feature of using the touchscreen as an AF-point joystick essentially while using the EVF with the last update is killer. I love my X1D, but I do think both the X1D and GFX50s will really hit their stride in the next generation....and more of the roadmapped lenses should be out in force by that time too. I also don't think you can go wrong with either, but after handling the GFX, I strongly prefer the body, layout, menus/etc, and the simplicity of the X1D to the GFX.

jduncan

Hasselblad put out a new XCD lens roadmap today:

http://static.hasselblad.com/2017/11/Pressrelease_XCD_Roadmap_Final.pdf

Abridged version: the 22mm is now a 21mm f4, the 65mm is f2.8, and the 35-75mm is f/3.5-4.5.

They’re ramping up production of the 120mm

They also announced a 135mm f2.8 with dedicated 1.7x teleconvertor in addition to an 80mm which will be “the highest aperture lens Hasselblad has ever produced”

All aside from the 120mm should be available in 2018. I’m really excited about the new lenses, just hope they get them out in a timely manner.
Hi,
This is very good news, I hope the 80mm reaches f2. The 135mm f2.8 look suit, but where is the 120mm?
Best regards,

bab

The 35-75mm (28-60) seems like a good choice for average landscape images. Spectacular images would require a zoom more like 28-60mm (22-48). In looking at practicality of shooting people I would prefer a zoom with the 75-140 range the 35-75mm doesn't cut it for me. Also the 135 w/ the 1.7x equating to a 180mm/35mm format is a no go except for specific image purpose its to short for tele might be great for portrait but its a prime unfortunately a zoom in that range would have been golden. Lastly a longer tele lens 200mm-400mm or straight 300mm w/1,7x a great part of the line up. Also a tilt shift lens would be interesting. I'm sure all of these ideas were presented in the meeting of the minds @ H headquarters what throws me for a curve is why nobody got there way? 7 out of the 10 lenses that will be available cover the 24mm-95mm range that's a 70mm spread.

I know you can use the H lenses with the adapter!

JeRuFo

Hi,
This is very good news, I hope the 80mm reaches f2. The 135mm f2.8 look suit, but where is the 120mm?
Best regards,
It should be f2 or faster, if I am correct and the 110/2 is indeed their fastest lens to date.

sog1927

Hi,
Best regards,
Well, if it's going to be the fastest Hasselblad lens ever, then it needs to be faster than the 110 f/2 Planar F/FE. Right?

Well, if it's going to be the fastest Hasselblad lens ever, then it needs to be faster than the 110 f/2 Planar F/FE. Right?
Technically the FE 110 is a Carl Zeiss lens, but they say ".... that Hasselblad has ever introduced", so this lens should count.

Has there ever been a MF lens with a max aperture faster than f/2? Mamiya maybe?

The 21mm wide angle should be a new record, as regards FoV in MF-land.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Technically the FE 110 is a Carl Zeiss lens, but they say ".... that Hasselblad has ever introduced", so this lens should count.

Has there ever been a MF lens with a max aperture faster than f/2? Mamiya maybe?

The 21mm wide angle should be a new record, as regards FoV in MF-land.
Yep there’s a Mamiya f1.9 which I think is the fastest for 645 format.

I’d expect the 80mm XCD to be faster than the 110mm f2 for the V-system based on their marketing pitch. Even if it’s not, anywhere in the f2.2 (HC 100mm) or faster range is perfectly fast enough for me. Faster than f2 would be interesting for sure....I think Fuji is rumored to do a faster-than-f2 80mm for the GFX as well (1.4 or 1.8 maybe?), so it seems possible.

Yep there’s a Mamiya f1.9 which I think is the fastest for 645 format.

I’d expect the 80mm XCD to be faster than the 110mm f2 for the V-system based on their marketing pitch. Even if it’s not, anywhere in the f2.2 (HC 100mm) or faster range is perfectly fast enough for me. Faster than f2 would be interesting for sure....I think Fuji is rumored to do a faster-than-f2 80mm for the GFX as well (1.4 or 1.8 maybe?), so it seems possible.
And, while not designed for bigger sensors, the Zeiss Otus and Milvus 85mm f/1.4 seem to cover quite nicely the 55mm diagonal. So it already exists, although not native, only with manual focus and e-shutter.

hcubell

There were a couple of interesting choices made in the configuration of the new XCD lenses. The zoom is an f/3.5-f/4.5. Why have a variable maximum aperture rather than a constant f/4? What is gained?
The new 135 f/2.8 is somewhat surprising, as it is close in focal length to the 120mm. However, it can be mated with a new, dedicated 1.7x converter to turn the lens into a 230mm f/4.8. My first reaction was why not just make a separate 200mm-240mm lens? My experience with tele-converters has not been good. They inevitably entail some degree of compromise in image quality. This XCD tele-converter is a dedicated converter, so perhaps the compromise will be less significant. There would be a substantial savings in size and weight compared to carrying two fairly hefty lenses. This may make the decision to buy the 120mm Macro more difficult for some, as the 120mm is close in focal length to the 135mm, and the 135mm will be more versatile because of the 1.7x converter. Hmmm.

Thanks to this roadmap, I made my decision: as I do not have any H-lenses, I decided to acquire a used HC 210mm with the XH-Adapter and PPL-Ring.

The 135mm is too close to the 120mm macro, so quite redundant in my book. The 1,7-converter, tailor-made for the lens, may induce little damage to image-quality, but the resulting f/4.8 230mm lens will be quite large (about 20cm in length according to the pictures), so I don't see the point. Fuji's plan to produce a rumored 250mm with a dedicated 1,4-converter sounds much more logical to me.

Nevertheless, I will be looking very close at the Hasselblad SA 250mm and Leica R Apo-Elmarit 180mm and the Apo Telyt 280mm, as they all cover the 55mm diagonal and are still some of the finest tele lenses around.

tcdeveau

Thanks to this roadmap, I made my decision: as I do not have any H-lenses, I decided to acquire a used HC 210mm with the XH-Adapter and PPL-Ring.

The 135mm is too close to the 120mm macro, so quite redundant in my book. The 1,7-converter, tailor-made for the lens, may induce little damage to image-quality, but the resulting f/4.8 230mm lens will be quite large (about 20cm in length according to the pictures), so I don't see the point. Fuji's plan to produce a rumored 250mm with a dedicated 1,4-converter sounds much more logical to me.

Nevertheless, I will be looking very close at the Hasselblad SA 250mm and Leica R Apo-Elmarit 180mm and the Apo Telyt 280mm, as they all cover the 55mm diagonal and are still some of the finest tele lenses around.
Are there any Leica R-X1D adapters out there?

Are there any Leica R-X1D adapters out there?
Not yet, but you may stack the new Kipon X1D-M Adapter with any R-M-Adapter (don't know if this may cause vignetting). Anyway, I know firsthand that Kipon and Novoflex both are working on R-X1D-Adapters. So patience....

tcdeveau

Still not, but you may stack the new Kipon X1D-M Adapter with any R-M-Adapter (don't know if this may cause vignetting). Anyway, I know firsthand that Kipon and Novoflex both are working on R-X1D-Adapters. So patience....
Good deal, thanks for the info.

jng

The 250SA is spectacular if you can find a good copy (I use it on an IQ160 and have tested it on an IQ3 100). I am seriously contemplating adding the X1D to my kit to take advantage of some of my old Zeiss glass, now that it has the electronic shutter enabled.

John

vieri

Well, now it starts to look like a very very interesting system for landscape :) The addition of the 21mm and of the zoom (if IQ will be up there) is a game changer, IMO. Best,

Vieri

PeterA

Well, now it starts to look like a very very interesting system for landscape :) The addition of the 21mm and of the zoom (if IQ will be up there) is a game changer, IMO. Best,

Vieri
yep I imagine quite a few XID shooters liek me are waiting for a wide wide.