The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Industrial photography need tips

daf

Hi guys,
As some of you know i'm an architectural photographer.
i've been approched by an industrial company to shoot some «product in situation» .
Allright ! But, but, those are on very specifique place so i need very specific camera, and i'm totaly ignorant about them.
Does any of you has worked and would be able to give me any details on :
- a camera+lens (wide) which keep working down to -50°c (i really need to be sure)
- a camera to work in explosif atmopshere ? Main priority is safely/security then picture quality
Thanks a lot.
David

DBF

I don´t think, that any Camera with digital Back will work at -50 C - look to the Product Descriptions of the Manufactorers.
My H5D60 does not like Temperature below -5 or maybe -10 C - Get a Warning and Camera switches off automaticly - no Picture!

Long ago I used my 500 CM (with film - of course) at -35 C without any Problems.

ejpeiker

There's nothing made short of special builds for NASA that specs down to -50C but that doesn't mean it won't work. I have used many cameras at -40 and they do work but expect to swap batteries in and out often (just warm them up against your body) and expect the LCD's to stop functioning as they will freeze. That doesn't mean you can't take pictures though. You'll probably gain in the neighborhood of 2 stops of noise capability at those temps. Note that everything gets brittle and your odds of breaking something in a mild impact that you wouldn't even give a second thought at 20C could break the gear. In general, I think you will be better off with 35mm full frame gear than medium format in these conditions.

Also if you bring the gear in and go back out, you will likely fog/ice the gear for hours or more.

paulgrundy

Hi guys,
As some of you know i'm an architectural photographer.
i've been approched by an industrial company to shoot some «product in situation» .
Allright ! But, but, those are on very specifique place so i need very specific camera, and i'm totaly ignorant about them.
Does any of you has worked and would be able to give me any details on :
- a camera+lens (wide) which keep working down to -50°c (i really need to be sure)
- a camera to work in explosif atmopshere ? Main priority is safely/security then picture quality
Thanks a lot.
David
I have no personal experience of extreme low temperature photography although my H4D stopped working at -16c a few years ago.

Regarding the explosive atmosphere. Pre digital in the UK when photographing down mines you had to use cameras that worked without batteries. I used an Olympus OM1 with the battery removed as it only powers the meter.

You may be able to use a hand held light meter that is powered by a selenium cell such as the Weston but it still produces electricity.

You will need a airtight case to remove you camera otherwise condensation will be a big problem.

Sounds like an interesting job.

Paul