The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How small is too small......?????

aztwang

So I caught a thread over on Lula regarding rumored new sensors from Sony, Full frame 150MP and cropped frame 100 MP BSI sensors, each with a pixel size of 3.76. Now we have all read about the magic of fat pixel backs and seen some amazing images. Many prefer this combination. So this brings about the question; whats the flip side of fat pixel backs? What can one expect to see out of small pixel sizes ? And are there advantages to small pixel sizes? How small is too small......?

Cheers

Don

Shashin

Well, one is the dichotomy is sensor- or optics-limited systems in regards to resolution. But the small pixels also reduces the effects of moire artifacts. The question is about the quality of the pixels. Tiny smart phone pixels have limited DR, but that is also a technical problem, which may have a solution.

Personally, pixel resolution is becoming less of an important criteria for me as the 24MP–50MP range of sensors seems to give me what I need in terms of detail. With the largest practical printer being 44", I just don't see a great advantage of the resolution increase beyond that.

dave.gt

Well, any car will get you somewhere. Personally, I see fantastic work here that I have not seen anywhere else. Some use 100mp sensors, some use fat pixel sensors. It is all good! So, I don't know... can pixels get too small? Good question.

There are many things to consider, and for me, life is evolving as well as my direction in life. Primarily, we are involved in art as it relates to personal stories of healing, and it includes not only portraits, abstracts, landscapes, cityscapes and pets, but it is different for each motif.

For the future, I dream of a DB that will render like a Van Gogh painting!:thumbs: I don't care how many or the size of pixels...:):):)

For now, the fat pixel sensors are special and I can only dream of using one with the 50c DB. I am happy with that.

I do believe sensor tech will evolve in ways I can't imagine, so I will wait for the results to be posted and enjoy the marvelous work of our talented members.:)