The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Health Alert: Exploding Batteries and Text Neck

dave.gt

This past week has been an eye opener... bad pain in right side of my neck down to my shoulder... over the counter pain relievers... meh... very difficult to deal with. Part of it may be from carrying my shoulder bag and some may be my sleeping position but it seems this is more likely the cause:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/health...is-smartphone-use-causing-your-neck-pain/amp/

And then I came across this report of an exploding battery:

https://petapixel.com/2017/11/11/camera-battery-explodes-airport-sparking-panic/

Time to find a beach somewhere...LOL... I need a road trip with the 503cxi...:thumbup:

dave.gt

As much as I love this forum, it is a pain in the neck!:thumbs: in a good way...

But only because I use the iPhone too much. I will eschew this evil device. Time to retreat to my desk and use my computer. It is also time to get out and shoot!!!

This is going to be a long, painful winter if I don't get moving!

How about you guys?:)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's an evil circle and I'm attempting to break out. Here's my list:

- Reducing my travel computing capacity to a 11" Air, leaving the big MBP in the office. I can edit photos when I get home and drink more wine and whisky when I travel. Sleep more too, and watch the pretty girls.
- Buying a very stationary Mac Pro 5,1 for editing and design at home.
- When my current smartphone gives up, replace it with a dumbphone without FB and other annoyances.
- Using cheaper, older cameras with better lenses.
- Using more film.

I'm getting tired of being online and available all the time. I'm getting tired of charging batteries and carrying chargers for all the devices. I don't need 1,000 photos from last weeks holiday. It's gone too far and I'm getting to old. 20 years ago, I travelled around the world with a 25 year old OM-1 and 10 rolls of Velvia. I returned home with 5 rolls untouched. The 5 rolls that I used contain some of my most memorable photos.

Either this, or I'll do as everybody else; continue as a slave of my gadgets :ROTFL:

pflower

I'm with you entirely. I have just finished building a darkroom and am going back to film - at least part time. The great thing about film is that everytime you think about making a photograph, you know it costs money, and so the thought arises "do I really want to go the trouble and expense of printing this?". I have boxes and boxes and then more boxes of photographs printed from various digital cameras on my Epsons. Looking through them I often ask myself why I bothered to print them. The answer is obvious - instead of taking 2 hours over a negative in an enlarger - it is easier to spend a bit of time in Lightroom and then press the print button. Looking through the considerably smaller number of boxes of silver gelatine prints (even though made over a much longer period than my digital work) the consistency is much improved.

I recently travelled round Cambodia and found the 11inch Macbook Air more than capable of sorting photos, doing very basic adjustments in Lightroom and keywording and sorting them. For myself I don't need hundreds of lenses - for my A7ii I almost only ever use the Sony 35mm which to my eyes is fine and very occassionally go to the 55mm. I recently bought an X1D and find that the 45mm suits me for 90% of what I do. Going back to film I think, certainly for travel, I will ignore my 503cx and take out my Mamiya 7 - much lighter, possibly not as satisfying to use, but better to travel with - unless you have someone to carry all your gear for you. As you get older backs, knees and necks all complain so lightness is an essential.

It's an evil circle and I'm attempting to break out. Here's my list:

- Reducing my travel computing capacity to a 11" Air, leaving the big MBP in the office. I can edit photos when I get home and drink more wine and whisky when I travel. Sleep more too, and watch the pretty girls.
- Buying a very stationary Mac Pro 5,1 for editing and design at home.
- When my current smartphone gives up, replace it with a dumbphone without FB and other annoyances.
- Using cheaper, older cameras with better lenses.
- Using more film.

I'm getting tired of being online and available all the time. I'm getting tired of charging batteries and carrying chargers for all the devices. I don't need 1,000 photos from last weeks holiday. It's gone too far and I'm getting to old. 20 years ago, I travelled around the world with a 25 year old OM-1 and 10 rolls of Velvia. I returned home with 5 rolls untouched. The 5 rolls that I used contain some of my most memorable photos.

Either this, or I'll do as everybody else; continue as a slave of my gadgets :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm with you entirely. I have just finished building a darkroom and am going back to film - at least part time. The great thing about film is that everytime you think about making a photograph, you know it costs money, and so the thought arises "do I really want to go the trouble and expense of printing this?". I have boxes and boxes and then more boxes of photographs printed from various digital cameras on my Epsons. Looking through them I often ask myself why I bothered to print them. The answer is obvious - instead of taking 2 hours over a negative in an enlarger - it is easier to spend a bit of time in Lightroom and then press the print button. Looking through the considerably smaller number of boxes of silver gelatine prints (even though made over a much longer period than my digital work) the consistency is much improved.

I recently travelled round Cambodia and found the 11inch Macbook Air more than capable of sorting photos, doing very basic adjustments in Lightroom and keywording and sorting them. For myself I don't need hundreds of lenses - for my A7ii I almost only ever use the Sony 35mm which to my eyes is fine and very occassionally go to the 55mm. I recently bought an X1D and find that the 45mm suits me for 90% of what I do. Going back to film I think, certainly for travel, I will ignore my 503cx and take out my Mamiya 7 - much lighter, possibly not as satisfying to use, but better to travel with - unless you have someone to carry all your gear for you. As you get older backs, knees and necks all complain so lightness is an essential.
I recently bought a Mamiya 645 Pro with the 80mm f/1.9, and took it on a trip to Myanmar last week. It's a bit large and heavy with the motor grip and AE finder, so I'll buy a crank and a WLF for travel. It's the most plasticy camera I've ever owned, but it's very functional and they sell for dimes. Films go to the lab today. I look forward to seeing the results.