The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D with 3rd party lens

archivue

how does it works ?
there's no shutter in the body, right ?

and someone told me that the electronic shutter on the X1D was problematic ?

vjbelle

FWIW, I have a 3100 which also has an ES which operates the same as either of its siblings. I always use it in ES mode. The first thing I did was test to see what kind of movement would produce artifacts. Clouds?...... never. Rustling Leaves?...... never. Blowing branches?..... never - and I tested under some fairly severe conditions. I suggest you believe nothing you read and test for yourself. I'm sure conditions can exist that will produce artifacts (maybe a tornado for clouds) but I have yet to experience any difficulties. I, for one, would be lost without the ES which will only get better with time.

Victor

PeterA

Hi Ray

Great shots lovely rendering..- how much cropping was required etc etc...

Please share some thoughts on your experiences with the Kippon adaptor and M lenses - I would appreciate them - in particular the WATE and any wides you have tried... I am looking to also buy the Nikon G adaptor so I can mount my Milvus and Otus lenses...

Pete

abed

Hi Ray

Please share some thoughts on your experiences with the Kippon adaptor and M lenses - I would appreciate them - in particular the WATE and any wides you have tried... I am looking to also buy the Nikon G adaptor so I can mount my Milvus and Otus lenses...

Pete
I have tried the CV 15, the summilux 21, the elmarit 28, summilux 50, summicron 90, and macro elmar 90. All work fairly well, but roughly speaking only 80% of the picture is usable when you remove the dark corners. Rule of thumb, this means the lens will have effectively the same focal length. I have not tested all of the lenses thoroughly, but I noticed that longer focus lenses have less vignetting.
And yes, you need to use ES. I find this quite workable even hand-held unless you are shooting moving subjects. One issue, since the diaphragm is not closing and opening, there is no sound at all when a picture is taken.

PeterA

I have tried the CV 15, the summilux 21, the elmarit 28, summilux 50, summicron 90, and macro elmar 90. All work fairly well, but roughly speaking only 80% of the picture is usable when you remove the dark corners. Rule of thumb, this means the lens will have effectively the same focal length. I have not tested all of the lenses thoroughly, but I noticed that longer focus lenses have less vignetting.
And yes, you need to use ES. I find this quite workable even hand-held unless you are shooting moving subjects. One issue, since the diaphragm is not closing and opening, there is no sound at all when a picture is taken.

So roughly speaking the M type lenses will cover about 35-40 megapixels worth of chip. Any other issues apart from the vignetting?

Pete

abed

So roughly speaking the M type lenses will cover about 35-40 megapixels worth of chip. Any other issues apart from the vignetting?

Pete
I measured the diagonal excluding the vignetting and turns out to be about 80% of the total diagonal. So that should be ~40 megapixels.
As for other issues, I did not do yet a thorough test for all lenses that takes time, and will start working on it upon my return home next week. If any of the lenses I mentioned is of particular interest to you, let me know, I would start testing it first.
Coming back to ES, I read everywhere that you need a fixed subject and a tripod. I have done all my preliminary tests handheld, some of them included distant moving subjects, or tree leaves, and did not notice any problem. True it takes 0.3 seconds to get all the image scanned, but the image of a person that occupies 1/5 of the picture will be scanned in 1/16 th of a second, and if that person was walking, the image will not show much distortion. Tree leaves are also smaller and would occuppy a smaller portion of the image.

tcdeveau

I measured the diagonal excluding the vignetting and turns out to be about 80% of the total diagonal. So that should be ~40 megapixels.
As for other issues, I did not do yet a thorough test for all lenses that takes time, and will start working on it upon my return home next week. If any of the lenses I mentioned is of particular interest to you, let me know, I would start testing it first.
Coming back to ES, I read everywhere that you need a fixed subject and a tripod. I have done all my preliminary tests handheld, some of them included distant moving subjects, or tree leaves, and did not notice any problem. True it takes 0.3 seconds to get all the image scanned, but the image of a person that occupies 1/5 of the picture will be scanned in 1/16 th of a second, and if that person was walking, the image will not show much distortion. Tree leaves are also smaller and would occuppy a smaller portion of the image.
There are disadvantages to the ES, but as you and others have noted, they're pretty overblown. In my prelim testing with ES and the X1D, "normal" handheld shooting (i.e. point camera and shoot it) worked just fine.

jng

I just came across a FB post from Cambo USA announcing plans for Hasselblad V lens adapters for both the X1D and GFX mounts. Waiting for the new 100 Mp bodies just got a little more difficult!

John

jng

Black Friday and Christmas is just around the corner.

Just sayin'

:ROTFL:
LOL, true that! But no worries, I'm ahead of the curve - just received my new iPhone X yesterday, possibly the cheapest piece of camera gear I've purchased in quite some time. However after 2+ hours on the phone with tech support last night, the damned thing still isn't activated. I'm hoping to have this fixed by today, as there's nothing worse than having a toy that can't be played with! First world problems, to be sure...

John

abed

There are disadvantages to the ES, but as you and others have noted, they're pretty overblown. In my prelim testing with ES and the X1D, "normal" handheld shooting (i.e. point camera and shoot it) worked just fine.
A pict taken with VC 15mm 3rd generation. Cropped 90% so effectively focal length is 13.5 mm. Some vignetting, but this lens (at least the sample I have) is tack sharp. Picture processed with Capture One.

Attachments

jduncan

A pict taken with VC 15mm 3rd generation. Cropped 90% so effectively focal length is 13.5 mm. Some vignetting, but this lens (at least the sample I have) is tack sharp. Picture processed with Capture One.
So simple and so beatiful,

A Friend of mind asks about the location of the picture. Could you provide some info? (genral like country etc)
Great job.

Last edited: