The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions on Phase Schneider 55mm LS vs 45mm LS Lenses

Smoothjazz

I wanted to ask the wise and experienced medium format photographers if there are any opinions regarding the Phase One 45mm f3.5 LS versus the 55mm f2.8 LS lenses? I am specifically referring to the newer Phase One Blue Ring Schneider LS lenses. I like the idea that the 55mm lens is more compact and lighter, but I believe that the 45mm lens is a newer lens design. Thanks for your input.

Paul2660

I have the 55 LS, have shot the 45BR. If you can afford it buy the 45mm, it's in the same league as the 35mm BR.

The 55mm I have is good, but I would purchase a newer 55mm if it came with the quality of the 35mm and 45mm. As I have the 35mm, the 45mm is too close in focal length at least for me.

The 55mm LS lenses seem to have a lot of sample variation also, so I would work with a dealer who can work with you.

Paul Caldwell

ejpeiker

If either will do the job for you, the new 45 f/3.5 BR is the better lens - also much bigger and heavier!

DougDolde

I picked up a like new 45mm D for about a grand. 55mm just it too long for landscapes at least the way I see. And it's really small. Great lens

Smoothjazz

I am getting the sense that the 45mm LS lens is the way the go, as it is a newer generation optic. The only drawback is that it is heavy! If I am hiking in the mountains, at least it is lighter than the 35mm LS. I am still going to be feeling the burn-especially with the 150mm LS lens.

Christopher

My normal hiking selection would be the 35,55,80,150/2.8 all BR lenses.

If it is a extremely difficult tour I would go down to the 45,80,150/3.5. Or take the GFX with the 32-64 and 120

Regarding 45 vs 55: the 45 is better. However, if you find a great copy of the 55 it’s a great lens. However, my feeling is it is the weakest of all BR lenses and only a good copy is good.

From a practical standpoint, I think it’s about what sensor you’re putting behind it. If it’s a 1.3 crop like the 50mp CMOS chip, 45mm is a better pick as it’s closer to the traditional 35mm FoV on small format, while 55mm feels somewhat awkward to use - either too wide or not wide enough to comfortably frame many subjects as you could with a 35 + 50mm, or in crop MF terms a 45 & 80mm.
If you have a full format 645 sensor then the 55mm is your 35, while the 45 is more like a 28, both popular focal lengths, so you can’t really go wrong with either one.
Personally, when shooting medium format, I prefer to go wide most of the time, so the 45 seems like the better pick overall. You have so much resolution to work with that you can always crop in a little, and if you need the range you can just pick a longer lens.

DougDolde

I am getting the sense that the 45mm LS lens is the way the go, as it is a newer generation optic. The only drawback is that it is heavy! If I am hiking in the mountains, at least it is lighter than the 35mm LS. I am still going to be feeling the burn-especially with the 150mm LS lens.
Sure if you can handle the nosebleed cost and heavy weight.

rollsman44

I have been reading some pros and cons about the Phase one SK 55mm 2.8 LS( NON BR)
If I shoot at 5.6 and higher will this lens be sharp snd Not be soft on the edges as some of the reviews have mentioned
I am using it on a XF body and IQ2 60 Back

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

AS far as I know, the non-BR and BR are optically the same. I have the BR version and use it a lot for landscapes. I'm not sure of its performance wide open as I never use it that way. At f8 and f11 my copy is excellent.