The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

File Numbering on Phase One IQ3 Trichromatic & Live View FPS

John Black

A couple of hopefully easy questions -

1) how do I set the file name prefix and counter when shooting to XF card; untethered shooting.

2) is there a way to speed up the FPS on live view? It feels like ~8 FPS, definitely not 24 or 30 FPS.

Thank you.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
John, glad to see you're getting use out of your Trichromatic! You know you can always call us anytime you have questions; we're here for you!

1) For untethered shooting you can not change the naming of the files. However, upon import to Capture One you can use the naming function of the import tool to change the name to anything you'd like. Our support team can step you through that if you'd like. More advanced naming when shooting untethered is a popular feature request that I agree with 100% and I suspect you'll see something like that in the future, but it is not immediately forthcoming.

On a slightly related note, you can enter your copyright information into the digital back so it's already in the metadata when you get to Capture One.

2) When shooting from live view using either the ES or LS the capture rate is indeed slower and there are no settings that will significantly decrease the shot to shot time. That said, switching to Focal Plane for the shutter and switching to IIQ-S for the format will decrease the shot to shot time modestly. If you're looking for really rapid shooting IIQ-S plus focal plane shutter (no live view) will sustain the fastest clip and will do so steadily more-or-less indefinitely. Leaf shutter (no live view) will be second fastest. Live view will be slower than either.

(note you probably meant frames-per-minute [FPM], not frames per second [FPM]).

gerald.d

(note you probably meant frames-per-minute [FPM], not frames per second [FPM]).
Frames per second makes sense, and I’m pretty sure that’s what he meant.

It’s the frames per second of the live view display he is most likely referring to, not the still capture frame rate.

Kind regards,

Gerald

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Frames per second makes sense, and I’m pretty sure that’s what he meant.

It’s the frames per second of the live view display he is most likely referring to, not the still capture frame rate.

Kind regards,

Gerald
Doh! I’m sorry you’re absolutely right!

John, the frame rate/smoothness of live view depends on how much light is reaching the sensor. The default is that the camera remains stopped down when you enter live view. Change the aperture to be wide open for improved responsivity. Sorry for misunderstanding your question; thanks Gerald for catching my mistake! (What I wrote before is correct, but it’s the answer to a question you didn’t ask; “how to improve the capture rate while in live view?”)

drevil

Staff member
On each camera with live view i realized a drop in frame rate when the ISO goes up, seems to be "normal"