The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

pentax 645d with 67 film lens .......

trioderob

If anyone has first hand experience with the original CCD 645d with the older classic film 67 lens and adapter - I would love some info

compared to a camera such as the Nikon D800 / D850 series how would the images stack up?

how would this combo compare with modern MF systems such as phase one ?

I have a D800 with a few lens and also about 5 of the older 67 lens and a 67 II body

I have contemplated going to a all pentax MF system film and digital

Ed Hurst

If anyone has first hand experience with the original CCD 645d with the older classic film 67 lens and adapter - I would love some info

compared to a camera such as the Nikon D800 / D850 series how would the images stack up?

how would this combo compare with modern MF systems such as phase one ?

I have a D800 with a few lens and also about 5 of the older 67 lens and a 67 II body

I have contemplated going to a all pentax MF system film and digital

Many of them stack up very well, others stack up 'with character', others just won't compare well by current standards. Which lenses do you have?

These ones, I feel, do an excellent job (and would allow the 645D sensor to outperform the D800 if used in its sweet spot of low ISO): 75mm f2.8AL, 55mm f4 (latest version), 300mm EDIF, 400mm EDIF. Of course if you end up shooting at high ISO, the D800 soon wins out.

If you let me know which lenses you have, I might be able to share more specific experiences...

Ed

tsjanik

I have used many of the 67 lenses with a 645D and agree with Ed's comments. I would also mention that the 67 zooms are quite good as well. Many love the 105mm f/2.4 as well; I prefer the 90mm f/2.8 for its OOF rendering. BTW, the 67/645 adapter allows auto diaphragm and open metering.

Tom

trioderob

ok so it ends up I have 3 lens not 5 - I forgot that I sold off 2

what I kept was the 55 latest version which I had heard was a good lens

I also have the latest 105 which is the best portrait lens I have ever used

I have an old beat up 75 with the heavy knurled barrel

so my primary interest would be to use the 55 for taking landscape / seascape photos

the 105 for portraits but I very limited experience with lighting so almost all portraits would be natural lighting

I tend to like lens with character vs super analytical lens which tend to flatten the photo and give less pop. so for example with the Nikon I don't use the 50 g much I might use the 45 tessar .......

for comparison how would this setup compare to my current landscape rig which is the Nikon D800E with Zeiss 21 mm ?

The newer cams will definitely have better high ISO performance, and shadow recovery. The 645D makes lovely images though. If you can get by with Velvia, the old 645D will blow you away. If you can afford the 645Z I'd probably go for that though. Features like the flip screen, and less lag when displaying an image make a big practical difference.

The old 67 lenses are great, especially stopped down. If you can't make good images with them, the lenses are not the problem. Every system has great lenses though, so glass is not a limiting factor with whatever system you buy into. I think the 645z is probably one of the better landscape cameras available today. The weather sealing, plus lenses like the 28-45 make it pretty attractive.

Michiel Schierbeek

Sometimes I use the P67 55-100/4.5, the 165/2.8 and the 105/2.4 on the Pentax 645Z. They are rather chunky though, that's why I don't use them that much. They all perform well.
The 105 I use the most for portraits. Lovely lens.