The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Companion compact camera - for Phase One XF set

I'm looking to add a mirrorless compact camera to go with me on my travels alongside my phase one xf.

What does the group think would be a good fit out of these three?

Leica Q - full frame, fast operation and af, macro ability, great evf, good build quality, good image quality, sharp lens - a bit pricey, bigger than the other two. A bit wider that the 35mm focal length with a 28mm

Fuji x100F - Great dollar value, great evf, lens can run soft wide open at f2, good ergonomics and controls, nice tele-xtender for 50mm or converter for 28mm although those are a bit large and slowish to screw on.

Sony RX1R ii - huge file size, small size, good image quality, sharp lens, still a bit pricey, not sure on handling or evf or if optical vf is any good, is a bit old at over 2 years so may be updated?

Open to other suggestions but would like min of 24mp and max cost at $3k to $4k. Could care less about video features.

Have used Leica M in the past and may add more of those in the future but not interested in them for this single mirrorless camera.

This would be more for location shooting / environment. I'm not really a street shooter although sense of place is something that I do a lot of.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Robb

Charles S

I'm looking to add a mirrorless compact camera to go with me on my travels alongside my phase one xf.

Leica Q - full frame, fast operation and af, macro ability, great evf, good build quality, good image quality, sharp lens - a bit pricey, bigger than the other two. A bit wider that the 35mm focal length with a 28mm

Fuji x100F - Great dollar value, great evf, lens can run soft wide open at f2, good ergonomics and controls, nice tele-xtender for 50mm or converter for 28mm although those are a bit large and slowish to screw on.

Sony RX1R ii - huge file size, small size, good image quality, sharp lens, still a bit pricey, not sure on handling or evf or if optical vf is any good, is a bit old at over 2 years so may be updated?

Open to other suggestions but would like min of 24mp and max cost at $3k to $4k. Could care less about video features.

Have used Leica M in the past and may add more of those in the future but not interested in them for this single mirrorless camera.

This would be more for location shooting / environment. I'm not really a street shooter although sense of place is something that I do a lot of.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Robb
Fuji X-E3 or X-Pro 2 or XT2?

Paratom

Another vote for the CL.
Something totally different but I find it interesting because it is very compact for dx-size sensor: Canon g1xIII
I would prefer a Leica M10 over a R1X, its not that much bigger, but much more flexible.

My own choice is the RX1rII. With a ThumbsUp and a light Metro grip and a wrist strap, it feels more like an M4 (with AF!) than anything I've handled in the digital era. Lens, sensor, resolution, and color are outstanding.

For me, the issue was whether I wanted a 28mm (Q) or 35mm lens on my small 'constant companion' camera. Because of long habit with M cameras and 35mm Summicron, my choice was an easy one.

Kirk

PS, can't help but disagree re: M10 v. RX: RX is lighter and with the accessories I mentioned more like a film M in one's hand.

Frankly

I've tried the various Fuji and m4/3s cameras every generation or so... and in the end, while some are quite clever and nice, the image files are very disappointing. There just isn't the headroom and "editablity", exposures are more akin to slide film than negative... you better be right on because there isn't any latitude to pull highlight detail out of the burnt skies. Also, they are all slow, in every way but especially focusing. Action photography is nearly impossible.

Which, when you think about it, is exactly the opposite of what you want in a secondary camera meant for SPONTANEOUS capture. You want something FAST with a margin of error because you may not be fiddling when that deer walks through your scene or the flying saucer whizzes by.

I got my wife a Nikon D5500 with the 35/1.8DX for a fraction of the price of the "cool" popular mirrorless cameras yet it outperforms them on every metric. And it's approximately the same size, perhaps a notch larger but not that big.

Or step up to a full frame DSLR with a compact prime lens... 50% more weight, 200% more performance.

The other thing is price and disposability. If I had a $400 Canon 5D or Nikon D700 with a compact pancake like the Canon 40 or maybe a Nikon 50/1.8AIS... and it got splashed by a wave or stolen by a thug then I wouldn't be as upset as some $3000 precious camera I had to treat just as gingerly as my MFDB system. This might embolden me to make more adventurous photos in nasty weather or situations where I didn't want to look too rich.

I still think a ten year old 12mp Nikon D700 file is better than the latest Fuji or m4/3 file.

DMarc

i have the Leica and Fuji.
The Leica Q would not disappoint you, I think, but is indeed larger and more expensive. Except for that, difficult to fault that camera.
I shot once with the Fuji and, after looking at the files at 100%, never used it again. It’s a pity as the ergonomics and form factor are really great.
The IQ3 100 creates expectations and it is difficult to be happy with anything else in my experience.
Hope this helps,
Marc

Shashin

My two cameras are a Sony RX1 and Fuji X Pro2. Right now, I am really enjoying the Fuji.

Thorkil

Fuji X-E3, same sensor and processing as for X-T2 and X-Pro2 and with all the great Fuji XF-lenses available.
With a XF18/2 or better the XF 27/2.8 on, it becomes a true pocketcamera hiding a mighty quality
thorkil

Satrycon

if you're going to print the photos from your "companion" camera..then go with the Rx1Rmk2...and one can do some serious cropping in post anyways

fuji files are sometimes "smeary" when it comes to fine details

the a6500 is also very nice with a zeiss vario-zoom lens and/or adapter for other lenses.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Robb

Don Libby

I picked up a Fuji GFX in March as a companion camera to my XF kit. The GFX has the same crop as my first digital back the P30+ that I had great success with. While not a super small camera it nevertheless is small enough that I can travel with 4-fuji and 1-mamiya lenses in the same bag, a feat I couldn't do with the XF. I can continue to print large and don't have a worry about print size or resolution.

In the end I ended up liking the "companion camera" so much I sold the XF kit.

jdphoto

i have the Leica and Fuji.
The Leica Q would not disappoint you, I think, but is indeed larger and more expensive. Except for that, difficult to fault that camera.
I shot once with the Fuji and, after looking at the files at 100%, never used it again. It’s a pity as the ergonomics and form factor are really great.
The IQ3 100 creates expectations and it is difficult to be happy with anything else in my experience.
Hope this helps,
Marc
I had the Leica Q and went with the Fuji Xt2 because of the ability to use the amazing Xf lenses and it's weather sealing. Clients never look at photos at 100%. That would be like standing a few inches away from print over three meters wide! The Q is a great, albeit, gentle camera to use and one of the best EVF's. I didn't like the banding in the shadows, but the switch to adjust MF to AF is just a brilliant design. A WR Q with interchangeable lenses would be nice though...

I appreciate all the comments. I am on the road for about 7-8 months a year for commercial photography. My main cameras for this alternate between canon 1dx mk ii and the phase xf and leaf Credo 80. These setups with the variety of lenses weigh a crushing amount. Normally I take one large think tank roller in the plane with me and the cameras stay in there until I get ready to work on site shooting architecture or infrastructure. I am going to be shooting more location portraits with the phase with lights moving forward. Packing profoto lights under the plane also involves me carrying the lithium batteries for the acute 600 packs on board because of new airline regulations. So weight has become a fact of life.

I carry the new iPhone X on me for any of my photos for friends and family. None of these images will be printed and will just be shown electronically. I wouldn’t shoot anything with the iPhone that was critically important to me but it is my main communication device for daily life.

The goal for this exercise is to add a high quality compact camera that I can carry with me all the time that is as good as the dslr’s And that I can print images from.

The image quality is important. Small size is important. I will go check out the Q and Sony and look into the CL. I owned a Fuji x100s in the past but did not feel like it nailed focus on portraits very easy. Was going to see if the new x100f had improvements with the sensor and focus.

I really don’t want to compromise image quality for this camera as I plan to use it for personal images when I am tired of the heavy cameras but not tired yet of what I am seeing. I know the iPhone fits the bill for a lot of this but 12mp doesn’t cut it for my size needs.

Hopefully this makes sense. When you do this for a living all day every day to pay the mortgage, then it feels good to just let the “big cameras” sit after a long shoot and travel out with something small - one camera one lens. With that I still want to create beautiful images but not worry about all the weight from the other stuff.

Robb

jng

Agreed re: iPhone X - it's literally always with me and ready to shoot, and I couldn't be happier with the camera (a noticeable step-up from my iPhone 6 camera) for family and friend shots intended for social media posts or just staying in the phone. I find that my Sony A6000 with the Zeiss Touit lenses makes a nice compact kit for travel that gives remarkably nice images suitable for printing. Not the same as shooting MFD, of course, but the latter is often simply out of the question.

John

DougDolde

I picked up a Fuji GFX in March as a companion camera to my XF kit. The GFX has the same crop as my first digital back the P30+ that I had great success with. While not a super small camera it nevertheless is small enough that I can travel with 4-fuji and 1-mamiya lenses in the same bag, a feat I couldn't do with the XF. I can continue to print large and don't have a worry about print size or resolution.

In the end I ended up liking the "companion camera" so much I sold the XF kit.
Now that's a great plug for the GFX ! The Phase One is so overpriced by comparison. I was talking to Laurent Martres last weekend and he showed me his GFX. I held it and looked thru the viewfiinder. Nice and light.

Don Libby

Now that's a great plug for the GFX ! The Phase One is so overpriced by comparison.
That's where we differ Doug. I still believe the Phase One is a great system however it is extremely heavy when you place the digital back to the XF and add the lens. I sold my P1 system of body, lens and back as the body and lenses were getting too heavy. I would have kept the back if I had thought I'd be returning to a tech cam.

I've used a Phase One back in one fashion or another for over 8-years and while I no longer use one I still firmly believe it well worth the money for a professional. We're beginning to slow down now and since I'll be 70 next year I plan on doing other things and this is where a lighter weight medium format system comes in play.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Don, I agree Phase is a very heavy outfit. I'm a healthy 73 and would like it to be lighter. The trouble is, every time I compare the files to some of the alternatives, I come back to the XF/IQ3.100.

I guess I'm just addicted....

Don Libby

It was a very difficult decision to make. I kept saying I'd sell only to step back then the past sins of my youth reared up and made the decision easier. Do I miss it? Yes I don't miss the huge weight difference and frankly I've begun to do things a little differently and enjoying it. Hanging outside a helicopter with a XF and 240 strapped around my neck while capturing lava flows in Feb vs doing nearly the same with a GFX and Mamiya APO 200 in the southwest showed me while there's a difference in weight and resolution the end results were both fantastic.

DougDolde

Well I only have the lowly IQ180 and it isn't the weight that's the issue. It's the lack of high ISO capability.

Seems like a downgrade from even 80 megapixels but I'm not sure it would make much difference unless I was making 60x80 prints.