The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Companion compact camera - for Phase One XF set

algrove

As most I like my IQ3100 so much I decided on an Alpa for its use with 3 lenses plus the IQ3100 Achromatic DB. This kit is in the 12-14 lb area. I most always carry my Rx1R2, but when street shooting with my Leica Monochrom's I very much like the Q whose color files are extremely pleasing and easily fine tuned in C1 if need be. I do not use my XF.

I used and liked the XT-2 files, but extreme cropping of street images left something to be desired when printing large.

Might drop back to the GFX or X1D once either announces a future roadmap with pricing and lenses. I very much liked the files from my 645Z in the past.

In the meantime I will be trying out the A7R3 with a mix of Zeiss Batis and Loxia primes.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I traveled and used the RX1R and then RX1R II for a number of years as my companion camera to my main system. Wonderful camera with great 35/2 lens and quality & resolution that definitely won’t disappoint.

I’m now back to Leica as my small bring along camera (M10 & 35 FLE mostly) but I realize that this may not be the direction you are looking for. If you wanted a great 28mm fixed camera then the Q is wonderful but I wouldn’t shoot people with it normally.

If I hadn’t gone to Leica as my go to small travel system or companion camera, I’d still have my Sony RX1R II.

For the folks discussing GFX vs Phase One, I also have the GFX system and really enjoy it as a travel DSLR system that is lighter than my IQ3100 & XF kit or Actus DB+outfit. I’ll take it when I fly vs drive. However, as others have said, nothing performs like the Phase One kits in my experience and so they are my weapon of choice if I have the luxury of travel by car or intend to shoot technical camera. Even so, with either MF system I’d take my Leica (or RX1R II if I didn’t have my Leica) as the compact travel companion.

My $.02 ...

Last edited:

hcubell

Another option to consider would be a Sony A7RIII with the new 24-104mm Sony lens. I used the A7RII with the 24-70mm Zony lens walking in the back streets all over Rajastan in India and was quite happy with the results, though the 24-70 is not a great lens in the corners. The initial reports on the new 24-105 are promising and it offers a bit more reach, which is nice in many situations when you travel. This combination is somewhat bigger than the other APS-C and M43 options, but none of these cameras is pocketable. I am going to look at the new 24-105 as my walk around, travel option, but I may opt to use the forthcoming 35-75mm zoom with my X1D, depending upon size.

Geoff

I traveled and used the RX1R and then RX1R II for a number of years as my companion camera to my main system. Wonderful camera with great 35/2 lens and quality & resolution that definitely won’t disappoint.

I’m now back to Leica as my small bring along camera (M10 & 35 FLE mostly) but I realize that this may not be the direction you are looking for. If you wanted a great 28mm fixed camera then the Q is wonderful but I wouldn’t shoot people with it normally.

If I hadn’t gone to Leica as my go to small travel system or companion camera, I’d still have my Sony RX1R II.
Agree with much of this. Am in love with MFDB, the back and the wonderful lenses on tech cameras. Moved to an Alpa STC to get it smaller for traveling. Regardless of what camera, the back itself weighs a bunch - and by the time you have it on something, with a lens, its a 4-5 lb thing. Add some batteries, another lens, tripod and head, charger, etc. and it adds up.

So what makes a good portable second fiddle? Not clear. I've used the RX1 for years, and its an infallible workhorse - very good for photographing tech'l drawings in archives (a passion) under horrible conditions. The lens is so good you can do anything with it. Its hard to think of a situation where it doesn't work well. That said, I strangely find working with it to make "art" photos. it seems more to document than to inspire. I don't know why - possible its just a bias, or perhaps the color tones of the sensor.

Have tried a few Leicas - MM and M240. While the MM is magic, the color with M240 is appealing. Rented one and found it quite workable as a walk around camera and also in a museum to document art. It might just be that the Leicas have viewfinders and the RX1 has its screen that is the difference.

All to say that there is a need for a smaller camera to accompany MFDB, or use on lightweight trips; its not clear what is best, as nothing is as nice as a big sensor and superb lenses; its a personal choice and a combination of user comfort, large resolution, good colors, and a good lens. I lean to the Leicas due to the optic quality of their lenses and smallish size but know that no M series camera is as easy to use in poor conditions as the Sony. Maybe the Q with a 35mm lens, or the new CL would work too. Some hope that the Hassy XD1 is an answer.

One nice thing is the Leica Q has an image stabilizer.

Sony RX1R ii does not have a stabilizer.

Not sure if this would be an issue with the Sony although it can go high iso - I'm not likely to use these on a tripod.

I understand the lenses are fairly wide but I like the idea of a stabilizer. I do like the smaller size of the Sony.

Robb

dchew

Yeah I don't think the CL has IS either. I don't understand why Leica has been so stingy with this feature.

Dave

algrove

I use the Q and RX1R2 and for me they both perform about the same while hand held even though the Sony does not have IS.

Ok. Well after some soul searching, I decided to pass on the super compacts and just went back to an M.

Picked up an M-P 240 and 50 lux ASPH both in silver.

Should be just what the doctor ordered without any issues on printing. Liked the live view availability. Never had that previously on my past m9’s.

Thanks to the group on the posts.

Robb

RobbieAB

I appreciate all the comments. I am on the road for about 7-8 months a year for commercial photography. My main cameras for this alternate between canon 1dx mk ii and the phase xf and leaf Credo 80.
Any particular reason for not looking at the more light-weight Canon crop frame options?

With the 40mm or 50mm lenses, or the 28mm EF-S lens, they can be very light, and would also be able to borrow the 1DXmkII glass should that ever be something useful.

Once you have gone (or never left) full frame or larger, it is hard to downsize. It's also hard to use a (non-professional) body or lenses that don't feel solid or well made. Just the way I feel. So I decided that build and full frame image quality was more important - and I still saved weight and mass going with the M.

Old school habits die hard I guess once you have done this 25+ years.

Robb

GrahamWelland

I can totally relate Robb. Once you’ve been used to the quality of Leica lenses and system it’s tough to go to anything less. (No disrespect meant to the Canon which I’m sure is an excellent camera).

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I carry a Fuji X100F, which I describe as a digital camera with analog controls. Very "pocketable" with excellent image quality but a fixed lens. Can be used with at eye level with optical VF or LCD - or rear LCD. Beautifully made.

In my car I keep a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ1000 with the Vario-Elmarit 25-400mm (35 mm equivalent) for birds and animals, where it is unlikely I'd ever want make large prints.. Not a bad little camera but not the build quality of the Fuji.

RobbieAB

Once you have gone (or never left) full frame or larger, it is hard to downsize. It's also hard to use a (non-professional) body or lenses that don't feel solid or well made. Just the way I feel. So I decided that build and full frame image quality was more important - and I still saved weight and mass going with the M.

Old school habits die hard I guess once you have done this 25+ years.

Robb
That sounds perfectly reasonable, I can't say I wouldn't be tempted by an M myself if I could stretch the budget to include one!

I was more thinking of the Canon option against the Sony or Fuji options, with the shared system factor offering more options when wanted. Against a Leica, yeah, if the cost isn't the issue, I don't think I could seriously suggest a Canon crop frame.

trioderob

I just purchased a Ricoh gr2

It is a fantastic small camera

the lens is Leica quality - large sensor for its size - very small form factor

its has a BW emulation mode that I love

it has a "snap mode" for street photography

I just can not see getting the Sony or Fuji over this camera for 550 US new

I believe its image quality is close to my D800E - with a little less dynamic range

I had one about a year ago and regretted selling it - this time its a keeper

GrahamWelland

I’ve had a number of Ricohs from the GR1s / GR1V and GR21 plus the digitals. Those guys get it. Snap mode has always been a classic mode that I’m surprised nobody else has implemented. Literally point & shoot.

If I didn’t have too many cameras already I’d get another. I have a first gen GRD that sits in the car just in case I need to shoot something better than an iPhone. :thumbup:

narikin

The IQ3 100 creates expectations and it is difficult to be happy with anything else in my experience.
Marc
Damn, you can say that again!

I find it nigh on impossible to use any other camera once you've seen the results from IQ3-100. Sony 7R2/3, Nikons, Canons all appear so poor once you've gotten used to Phase's 100mp color and resolution. I'm nearing 40,000 exposures, and am still astonished every day by the results.

(and it's going to get worse with the 150Mp monster coming. we're screwed...)

GrahamWelland

When I travel and want more travel friendly solutions I LOVE my Leica M10 and M246 systems plus for MF also my Fuji GFX (awesome btw). However, as Bill & narkin mentioned, there really is no comparison to the IQ3100. I also see my images and think DAMN I should have used the big guy, either on my tech cam or even the XF boat anchor.

vjbelle

However, as Bill & narkin mentioned, there really is no comparison to the IQ3100. I also see my images and think DAMN I should have used the big guy, either on my tech cam or even the XF boat anchor.
So, so true. There is nothing like a 3100 file. That is what has kept me from buying into any of the mirrorless offerings..... at least so far.

Victor