The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Electronic Shutter (ES) Cable Release Adaptor

m21apsh

Anyone using this?

https://www.megapixelsdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/White_Paper_IQ3_ES_Cable_Adapter.pdf

"A new Cable Release Adaptor makes it possible to trigger the Electronic Shutter (ES) with a remote release unit when the
IQ3 Digital Back is used on a Technical Camera.
The remote release units made to work with the XF Camera use a 12-pin multi-connector port while the IQ3 Digital Backs
only accept an 8-pin connector. The Cable Release Adaptor (part number 73174) ensures compatibility by plugging it into
the 8-pin multi-connector port on the side of the IQ3 Digital Back, while the other end of the adaptor accepts both a 12-pin
and an 8-pin connector."

Can I use an old cable release for Phase one DF+ which is a 8-pin!! ??

It seems no one is selling. too new maybe.

Jeff

Paul2660

yes, it was just announced last week. Works with the P1 Bob setup, which is around $396.00.

Paul Caldwell

algrove

Jeff

Just curious what is wrong with the ES button directly on the back of the DB for exposures? Perhaps you don't want a delay, but even then you can chose not to use it directly on the back of the DB.

vjbelle

I am also very curious why anyone would want a 'Physical' connection', (that means any kind) with the Phase Back to initiate the ES. Any physical connection can induce a vibration...... am I missing something??? I simply press the LCD button and usually have a delay of 2 to 4 seconds. No vibrations of any kind other than strong wind or the earth moving.

Victor

0beone

There is a very simple solution for a remote release for ES. You get one of the "Long Sync Cable to Multi-Port" cables I think is about $75.00.
Cut off the lens connection socket, strip the cable and solder onto a simple momentary push button. Heat-shrink the connections etc and there you have a remote release cable.

Works a treat...

Cheers
Frank

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I am also very curious why anyone would want a 'Physical' connection', (that means any kind) with the Phase Back to initiate the ES. Any physical connection can induce a vibration...... am I missing something??? I simply press the LCD button and usually have a delay of 2 to 4 seconds. No vibrations of any kind other than strong wind or the earth moving.

Victor
certainly works most of the time. but as an example when a cable would help, trying to time a seascape with a lot of water movement using a 2 or 3 second delay is challenging and relies on some luck. Currently I use capture pilot to trip the ES, but standing at a place like thor's well where trying to protect the camera while capturing the shot and having to worry about dropping your phone ... a physical cable is really helpful.

Last edited:

Paul2660

It would be nice if P1 could give a date as to when this cable will ship. It's not in stock anywhere that I can find.

It's been announced almost 2 months?

Paul Caldwell

m21apsh

Hi,

I usually shoot few hundred frames and sometimes couple thousand.
Keep touching ES button on LED doesn't feel like taking photographs.

with a cable release feel more like a photographer.

Jeff

Jeff

Just curious what is wrong with the ES button directly on the back of the DB for exposures? Perhaps you don't want a delay, but even then you can chose not to use it directly on the back of the DB.

algrove

Understand what you are saying, but my LCD not only shows a count down to exposure due to my setting a 4 second delay, but after capture my DB shows the result on the LCD for my review. So what is different about that versus your requested method?

Hundreds or thousands of images, don't you check your histogram on the LCD?

In inclement weather, a cable release leaves the DB open to the elements.

Hi,

I usually shoot few hundred frames and sometimes couple thousand.
Keep touching ES button on LED doesn't feel like taking photographs.

with a cable release feel more like a photographer.

Jeff

vjbelle

... a physical cable is really helpful.
Horses for courses..... I'm dead set against anything physically connected to the camera/back. Too many missed shots with an extremely flexible shutter cable release taught me all of my lessens. When I was in Lofoten I shot from the famous one lane bridge with sleet and a 40 mph wind at my back. I crouched down on my knees and shot my Cambo (protected by my body) with Capture Pilot ( 0 delay ) 23 times of which about half were dead on (no vibration issues). Needless to say as buggy as Capture Pilot is I'm a big fan for those times when its needed.

Victor

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Horses for courses..... I'm dead set against anything physically connected to the camera/back. Too many missed shots with an extremely flexible shutter cable release taught me all of my lessens. When I was in Lofoten I shot from the famous one lane bridge with sleet and a 40 mph wind at my back. I crouched down on my knees and shot my Cambo (protected by my body) with Capture Pilot ( 0 delay ) 23 times of which about half were dead on (no vibration issues). Needless to say as buggy as Capture Pilot is I'm a big fan for those times when its needed.

Victor
I prefer capture pilot as well. But standing next to the maelstrom of Thor's Well or similar locations, having to constantly protect the camera from splashing salt water seems a disaster waiting to happen to the handheld device it is running on.

A coiled cable is far more flexible than any shutter release cable as there is no physical movement at the camera connection required to activate the camera. Vibration from the cable was the least of my problems, I'm just glad I didn't face plant and send my XF into the Pacific.