The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tilt/Swing with DF for Portraits

I've read few posts here covering this topic and hoping to get some clarification from you guys.

I'm looking for a way to do tilt and swing with my current setup which is DF+ with Credo 40 (Schneider 80mm LS, Mamiya 35mm, Mamiya 150mm f2.8) for portraits and full body shots in studio situation.

I would love to have Schneider 120 PC TS, but it's way out of my budget.

My research brought me to:

1) Mamiya RZ67 with tilt shift adapter. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the adapter doesn't offer side to side swing. Only upwards/downwards tilt.

2)Fuji GFX680 (Who doesn't want that one?!)

3) Mamiya 645 bellows. This may sounds dumb, but Is it suitable for portraits at all? I understand that once I put something between body and lens it looses infinity focus, but what's the farthest I can focus and still be able to do movements and what would be the best lens which will allow me to do this? Would full body shot be possible with the bellows?

P.S. I'm aware that I will need adapter plates and cables for RZ67 and GFX680.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
2)Fuji GFX680 (Who doesn't want that one?!)
I wrote the most extensive troubleshooting guide made for [Phase One + Fuji GFX680]. I'd strongly suggest going down this route.

Mamiya 645 bellows. This may sounds dumb, but Is it suitable for portraits at all? I understand that once I put something between body and lens it looses infinity focus, but what's the farthest I can focus and still be able to do movements and what would be the best lens which will allow me to do this? Would full body shot be possible with the bellows?
If you used it with a Mamiya 645 lens you'd be in the very macro range very quickly with the bellows.

You'd need to use a lens that was designed to be held far from the sensor. For example a longer view camera lens (e.g. 150mm).

steve_cor

I wrote the most extensive troubleshooting guide made for [Phase One + Fuji GFX680]. I'd strongly suggest going down this route.

Thanks for your reply, Doug. Is it available online?
I feel Doug meant to say I'd strongly suggest NOT going down this route.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=tsohlc851rnpf0ckq8sqvmcqp1&topic=60247.0

http://www.captureintegration.com/wp-content/uploads/fuji680troubleshooting2.pdf

--Steve.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
O my!! What a big typo!!

Yes, I meant I strongly suggest AGAINST the GX680!

It’s a can of worms sitting on a house of cards.

I should clarify that it’s a beautiful body and (for the time) great lenses and if you want to shoot Film is worth a look. It’s the treacherous path to digital integration that I’m referring to.

O my!! What a big typo!!

I should clarify that it’s a beautiful body and (for the time) great lenses and if you want to shoot Film is worth a look. It’s the treacherous path to digital integration that I’m referring to.
Yeah, that is a big one, Doug! I almost hit that "buy now" button. :) :facesmack:

Thank you for the links!

Looks like RZ67 ProII with tilt shift adapter would be the way to go for me. And if I put the camera on its side, I should then be able to have side to side swing.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
O my!! What a big typo!!

Then I'm back to my original conclusion: If digital on GX680, it should be a Hasselblad or Sinar back. Still, it's only partly useful, since none of the GX680 lenses are really WA with current digital backs. Great for product photography and portraits, not so much for architecture. But hey.... film works rather well with that camera :D

steve_cor

I don't know anything about a Leaf Credo on a Fuji GX680. But Doug said there is less trouble with Leaf backs. Don't ask me; I haven't tried.

While photographers with other systems are looking forward to upgrades, and updated lenses and new lenses coming out, with the Fuji GX680, there will never be new lenses coming out, or upgrades, or anything new at all.

Some people are happy with the Cambo Actus-DB for tilt and shift with their digital back. The Cambo ACTUS-DB is a new technology camera system. Previous version lenses are available, and newer lenses are available for high prices. When you want tilt and shift, a technical camera is the best.

--Steve.

H3dtogo

I use the GX680 and 680III on a regular base withe an old Hasselblad / Imacon 528 back and a 50Mp CCD back. Great combo! But with small limitations: no longer shotter speeds beyond 1/8 of a second and on one of the bodies i have a cheap chinese adapter voor Hassie v that needed the viewing screen to be adjusted. The other has the Hasselblad H adapter with special V finder from that US COMPANY. Best ever!
And indeed, no wide angle but in studio it is a very versitile tool and way more interesting to work with than the schneider tilt lenses or any TS adapter :)
PS I also have the Mamiya with TS adapter and both short barrel lenses.... also top notch but not as easy and fast to work with as the Fuji GX680.
Best regards.