The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Buy Hasselblad online?!?!?!

tcdeveau

Its a great marketing idea, especially for rental. Now we have a place to rent a 300mm HC lens.
FYI There are already places you can rent Hasselblad lenses. Capture Integration, for example, rents Hasselblad lenses and has a 300mm in their rental list (at least online). I think Samy's camera on the west coast also does rentals.

In the US, I'm not sure yet what a Hasselblad store brings to the table, and what advantages buying direct from Hasselblad would have (if any) as opposed to buying from their existing dealer network. As Hasselblad support (warrantied and non-warrantied) deals directly with the end-user, and there are no local brick and mortar Hasselblad dealers (for new cameras) in my area, online more or less has been the way to go for Hasselblad gear....at least for new gear for me. I like the idea of buying direct from the source but currently I'm not sure I see advantages of buying direct from Hasselblad as opposed to B&H. I also wonder what their return policy is and if they charge sales tax.

In the Hasselblad US store, they also don't have an indication of whether an item is "in stock" or not, which is really annoying. You can add the 120mm XCD to your cart, for example, but is it in stock?

hcubell

FYI There are already places you can rent Hasselblad lenses. Capture Integration, for example, rents Hasselblad lenses and has a 300mm in their rental list (at least online). I think Samy's camera on the west coast also does rentals.

In the US, I'm not sure yet what a Hasselblad store brings to the table, and what advantages buying direct from Hasselblad would have (if any) as opposed to buying from their existing dealer network. As Hasselblad support (warrantied and non-warrantied) deals directly with the end-user, and there are no local brick and mortar Hasselblad dealers (for new cameras) in my area, online more or less has been the way to go for Hasselblad gear....at least for new gear for me. I like the idea of buying direct from the source but currently I'm not sure I see advantages of buying direct from Hasselblad as opposed to B&H. I also wonder what their return policy is and if they charge sales tax.

In the Hasselblad US store, they also don't have an indication of whether an item is "in stock" or not, which is really annoying. You can add the 120mm XCD to your cart, for example, but is it in stock?
I think the no questions asked 30-day return policy of B&H is invaluable. If a camera has a defect out of the box or a lens is not up to my expectations, I want to return it. Not argue about fixing it on warranty or whether the optical performance a lens is acceptable.

dave.gt

Well that means no need to go fly to Sweden or find a niche camera store to buy one!

Although I do like the human touch when it comes to Hasselblad camera buys. I mean, we're not a Canon/Nikon/Sony (no offense!)

Hasselblad Store
Since my little home office needs reorganization and decor changing, I am thinking of Hasselblad memorabilia. It would be terrific to find some online at a Hasselblad store.

Yeah, just dreaming...:)

jduncan

Unfortunately, the world just doesn't work that way when it comes to highly sophisticated and specialized products like digital backs, technical cameras and the like. In most parts of the world, you pay way more for these products and get a fraction of the service compared to what you get from dealers like CI and DT.
Just a note: The Nikon D810 if far more advanced, and much more sophisticated than any of the backs (by themselves). I believe this one is an improved version, more acurate:

the world just doesn't work that way when it comes to highly quirky and specialized products like digital backs ...

I am not trying to say that the dealer's expertise is not important. In particular, more ofthen than not, the difference between a back and a high en DSLR is that wide. The idea of the dealers (besides the luxury brand pointed before by other memeber of this forum) is to help squeeze each tiny bit of image quality.

Best regards.

citizin

I'm a fan of Hasselblad and at least my regions rep. I'm in the market for a new kit, and I'm back and forth with him in emails, and he even called me when he was stuck in the airport to chat about the questions I had.

Too bad for him and the company, but their repair depot for NA are some of the worst people I've dealt with.
On top of that their online store seems to be broken. I tried to place an order online to see total costs and it wouldn't take some of my information no matter how I tried to input. I couldn't figure out any possible successful way to order a Camera for it. :banghead: If i want to order a CPO system from the online store, I still have to download a pdf and call it in like i'm ordering from the back of a comic book. Hopefully they see this rant and get off their heads about it.

tcdeveau

I'm a fan of Hasselblad and at least my regions rep. I'm in the market for a new kit, and I'm back and forth with him in emails, and he even called me when he was stuck in the airport to chat about the questions I had.

Too bad for him and the company, but their repair depot for NA are some of the worst people I've dealt with.
On top of that their online store seems to be broken. I tried to place an order online to see total costs and it wouldn't take some of my information no matter how I tried to input. I couldn't figure out any possible successful way to order a Camera for it. :banghead: If i want to order a CPO system from the online store, I still have to download a pdf and call it in like i'm ordering from the back of a comic book. Hopefully they see this rant and get off their heads about it.
They just sent out a survey that I filled out. One of the things I mentioned was they should add CPO options to the store. They've already taken into account some feedback as it now shows "out of stock" status for items that are out of stock. Seems like it's a work in progress. BTW B&H and Adorama both have holiday savings on the X1D right now ($1000 off the body, $2000k off the 4116 kit, et) so if you're in the market for one now, I'd just go there if you're in the US.....Dodd and some of the other dealers may have similar savings but I didn't check there.

jng

BTW B&H and Adorama both have holiday savings on the X1D right now ($1000 off the body, $2000k off the 4116 kit, et) so if you're in the market for one now, I'd just go there if you're in the US.....
And just when I had convinced myself to wait for the 100 Mp sensor! :banghead: