The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trichromatic - thoughts for tech cam

jagsiva

Looking to upgrade my IQ180 to an IQ3 100. Having read the various posts on the Trichromatic here already, any further thoughts on advantages/disadvantages for a tech cam in using the trichromatic?

Appreciate any input.

dchew

I do not know what the difference in cost is between upgrading the IQ180 to the Trichromatic vs upgrading to the 3100. Whether the trichromatic offers any additional benefits to the technical camera user, above the marketed color differences between the two backs, probably depends on what lenses you use. If you have the Rodi's, I do not think you would notice any benefits in color cast. On the Schneiders, both the 35xl and 60xl, I do think there is a possibility you would notice some improvement, but whether that is significant or not is tough to say. Is that non-committal enough??
:(

I have four raw images on this link that are direct comparisons (two images and two associated LCC's):
https://spaces.hightail.com/space/HtAMyc7o9y
They are the last four on the list: 392, 395, 396 and 397. All are the 35xl. First two are the Trichromatic, last two the 3100.

In my opinion, those benefits are not dramatic. In fact, whatever I see in differences could simply be differences in exposure. I don't know that anyone has come up with a plausible reason why the Trichromatic should be any better than the 3100 in regards to lens color cast. Other than the filters being different, which will make the color different and the associated color cast render differently; but not necessarily better or worse. The underlying sensor geometry has been unchanged, as far as I know.

Dave

jagsiva

Thanks Dave. The difference is about 4K. After reading a little more, I think I'm going to go with the TC.

Lenses I have are Rodie 23/28/32/40/90HRSW, SK 60XL, 120.

I now debating whether I should get the XF as well. Stopped using the DF a long time ago, but maybe time to get the SLR body as well :)

Cheers, Jag.

dchew

Thanks Dave. The difference is about 4K. After reading a little more, I think I'm going to go with the TC.

Lenses I have are Rodie 23/28/32/40/90HRSW, SK 60XL, 120.

I now debating whether I should get the XF as well. Stopped using the DF a long time ago, but maybe time to get the SLR body as well :)

Cheers, Jag.
For what it’s worth, I think you did the right thing. That’s less of a difference than I expected.

Dave

0beone

Realistically there is no real difference in the Trich over the std 3100 on a tech cam - apart from those color differences well discussed on this forum.

I needed to upgrade my IQ260 and the timing was just perfect for me so I went with the Trichromatic and use it exclusively on Cambo WRS.
I just love the ease of use especially the Live View and Electronic Shutter. I only use 3 lenses, Rodie 40 HR-W T/S, 70 HR and SK 120 Super Symmar HM which is frankly superb on this back.

Enjoy your new toy!

Frank