The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF Video - used professionally?

dave.gt

While researching piano riffs, I came across an amazing video that reminded me of the awesome images members in this forum have posted from Iceland... it is amazing and includes both senses, sight and sound, in a most creative way.

Einaudi plays piano on an iceberg as an Arctic glacier crumbles around him - Classic FM

Upon reflection, I realized I have never seen MF video posted anywhere. I am definitely not a video shooter but I am inspired by such as this.:):):)

dave.gt

The reason I ask, simply, is my own curiosity is why video capability is considered desirable if no one really uses it professionally. Has there been a survey asking this question?

:)

dave.gt

The reason I ask, simply, is my own curiosity is why video capability is considered desirable if no one really uses it professionally. Has there been a survey asking this question?

:)
Ok, fair enough. The next question is, does anyonr really use the video capability of their MF cameras at all? If not, why not?

Paul2660

Ok, fair enough. The next question is, does anyonr really use the video capability of their MF cameras at all? If not, why not?
The Phase Backs, currently have no mic, at least last time I checked. There were several early posts of video from the 3100, but as I remember there issues, both in regards to 4k (not available) and very slow frame rate, thus rolling shutter for anything moving similar to rolling shutter for ES (however reversed as with the ES it's something moving across the frame).

Hasselblad has video output with a mic, not sure on the 4K. But I have not seem very much if any video, but i am sure it's out there.

The area where P1 has a very strong possibility is the use of time lapse, thus turning the individual images into a video. Lots of nice work out there for this, and it's 4K. DT has a very strong toolset for this (software), and the XF has a very nice, well thought out timer and built in intervalometer, and you can turn off the dark frame when using the intervalometer, very important. And (OT) proof that P1 could allow this for all photography if they so wanted.

My only issues are the sizes of the files, which are huge and have a lot of overhead when being processed. But end video is very good.

The 50MP backs, from Fuji and Hasselblad have video, Hasselblad 4K, Fuji not. There are some nice video's on the Fuji GFX facebook page.

For me I will stay with the Gopro hero 6, which is a big improvement over previous models.

Paul Caldwell

gerald.d

<snip>
The area where P1 has a very strong possibility is the use of time lapse, thus turning the individual images into a video. Lots of nice work out there for this, and it's 4K.
</snip>

Paul Caldwell
Actually up to 12K is possible with the IQ3 100.

Kind regards,

Gerald.