The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Canon Tse lenses and big sensor?

danlindberg

Maybe early days for anyone to have tried any of the new Tse lenses on a bigger sensor, but I am a little curious if they could be an option for my Alpa FPS and Credo 60 back?

I have not been blown away with the 17 + 24 on big sensor but I would think that the 50, 90 and 135 are 'easier' focals to make them sing.

What could be a realistic 'clean' shift possibility with the 50mm + 90mm, 7-8mm ?

Thoughts?

(I used a Schneider PC 90 and that worked really well to 8mm.)

Maybe early days for anyone to have tried any of the new Tse lenses on a bigger sensor, but I am a little curious if they could be an option for my Alpa FPS and Credo 60 back?

I have not been blown away with the 17 + 24 on big sensor but I would think that the 50, 90 and 135 are 'easier' focals to make them sing.

What could be a realistic 'clean' shift possibility with the 50mm + 90mm, 7-8mm ?

Thoughts?

(I used a Schneider PC 90 and that worked really well to 8mm.)
Hello Dan:

I just recently switched to using the 17 and 24 TSE on an Alpa FPS as a solution to the flare bound 23 and 32HR lenses. I find the Canon's quite sharp. They do loose a lot at the edges, but I am thinking more of cropping into them with the 100MP sensors anyway. In comparison the HR lenses, they are way better with flare (almost none in high contrast situations) and less distortion too. I'll be testing the new Canon TSE's soon and hope they are as good as the 17 and 24. Just my experiences. What are you seeing that leads you to your conclusions? HR lenses win all day on edge sharpness, but if you eliminate the edges, then I find them wonderful.
Thanks!

drevil

Staff member
Hello Dan:

I just recently switched to using the 17 and 24 TSE on an Alpa FPS as a solution to the flare bound 23 and 32HR lenses. I find the Canon's quite sharp. They do loose a lot at the edges, but I am thinking more of cropping into them with the 100MP sensors anyway. In comparison the HR lenses, they are way better with flare (almost none in high contrast situations) and less distortion too. I'll be testing the new Canon TSE's soon and hope they are as good as the 17 and 24. Just my experiences. What are you seeing that leads you to your conclusions? HR lenses win all day on edge sharpness, but if you eliminate the edges, then I find them wonderful.
Thanks!

as far as i know rodenstock offers recoating for the flare issue

as far as i know rodenstock offers recoating for the flare issue
Thats interesting. However I think what I am seeing is internal veiling flare, not just flare from external sources. Kindly let me know what you know about the recoating options. I do also see tons of flare from nearby light sources. Is that the flare you are referring to? I'm surprised Alpa has not mentioned this to me.
Thanks!

drevil

Staff member
it was in one thread on this forum, where someone said he sent the lens to rodenstock and they recoated it and the flare was gone

no specific info, maybe you can get in contact with rodenstock about this

kbx

Hello Dan:

Thanks!
Please post your findings, will be interesting to see how the new 50 does.

danlindberg

Havn't tried the Rodie 23, but own the 32 and mine is not that prone to flare that it is a problem. But agree that it is a weak point. The shade helps a lot.

When you say the Tse's are softer at the edges, would that be already without shift? Or when would you say they begin to be unusable?

stngoldberg

Hello Dan:

Thanks!
I don’t see any flare using my 32HR

Stanley

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have the 23 and 32. Don't really see the 32HR flare.....and don't really see the 23HR NOT flare :)
That matches my experience. I sold my 23HR because of it and taking three exposures for every shot sucked ( one for the scene with center flare, another with my hand shielding the shot but in frame to create a flare free center image and then the LCC). If the new coatings really work then I’d get another. I like my 17TSE but it smears ...

alatreille

Hello Dan:

Thanks!
Hi Jeffrey,

I'm just in the process of contemplating the switch over like this. Arca now have their Canon lens board and Focal Plane shutter working.
I'm unfortunately not going to get to test any of this out until at least February.
Would you be able to share any of your experiences or examples with the 17 and 24 on the 100MP sensors? (and or the 60mp if you have them)
I'm assuming little difference between the Alpa and Arca solutions other than opperational.

Thanks very much.

Andrew