The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format - Photographic Essays?

dave.gt

Medium Format!!! The format with a purpose and the ability for very large presentation, even larger than life. MF has always been unobtainable for me in the past, due to costs and priorities in life including raising a family. Time changes things.

Once we were enlightened through the reality of the fragility of life, we became more aware that life is precious and aware of the invisible generation, those with disabilities and those who are now minimalized by society due to aging. We were called to serve those individuals and patients at Emory by celebrating their lives (pro bono), with portraits of their lives and healing.

MF became The Format for us. This year we have produced photographic essays and individual portraits suitable for very large prints to be displayed in hospital lobbies as well as homes. We have found that the stories of healing by patients were better told in 12x12 book form. Since then, we have been working with the square format, both 6x6 film and cropped digital images.

So, the end use has dictated our use of medium format and the presentation is excellent with potentially endless applications for story-telling.

I am interested to see MF photographic essays by the wonderful talented photographers here on this forum. I hope to learn and be inspired by you!

Last edited:

dave.gt

Hi, Bill,

That is a beautiful subject, great cover, too! Can you include a link to your book for those wanting to order? :)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne