The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Steven Friedman Phase One Blog Post

med

Interesting read. Thanks for posting!

I’m also from Ottawa and wish I found cameras in Gatineau park... I had to borrow and buy my first 35mm cameras!

stevenfr

Thanks for the feedback. The camera was a Minolta X7A. I remember buying a samyang wide angle lens for it for $95. What a difference compared to my kit today and the size of the prints that can be accomplished.

We moved out West from Ottawa about 23 years ago. I do go back to see family and for autumn colour.

Interesting read. Thanks for posting!
O.
I’m also from Ottawa and wish I found cameras in Gatineau park... I had to borrow and buy my first 35mm cameras!

Jeffrey

What a wonderful story on Steven and his evolution to become one of the best medium format landscape photographers today. I always learn a lot by studying his images, particularly in how he frames an image. All the best, Jeffrey

stevenfr

Thank you Jeffrey.

What a wonderful story on Steven and his evolution to become one of the best medium format landscape photographers today. I always learn a lot by studying his images, particularly in how he frames an image. All the best, Jeffrey

drunkenspyder

Now see, you're like the crack dealer driving around in his new Bentley . . .. You're doing nothin' to ease this idiot's habit.:scry:

The good news is I don't know how to fit six Blue-Rings on my back.

Plus six blue ring lenses. Looking at a couple more.

stevenfr

Funny, no crack. I carry all the lenses with the xf in a f stop pack. They fit, a bit tight. My wife will have to carry the new lenses, lunch, water, drone and bear spray.

Which lenses do you have? I have the 35, 55, 80, 110, 150 and 240.

Now see, you're like the crack dealer driving around in his new Bentley . . .. You're doing nothin' to ease this idiot's habit.:scry:

The good news is I don't know how to fit six Blue-Rings on my back.

drunkenspyder

Funny, no crack. I carry all the lenses with the xf in a f stop pack. They fit, a bit tight. My wife will have to carry the new lenses, lunch, water, drone and bear spray.

Which lenses do you have? I have the 35, 55, 80, 110, 150 and 240.
I have the 35, 80 and 120M. I also have a Hassy Super Achromat 250 that makes some nice images and takes up less room than the 240, but of course does not have AF. In the past, that wasn’t a big deal for me, but P1’s focus stacking is awfully nice.

Which lenses do you find yourself using the most consistently?

I have more than a couple of f-stop packs and ICUs. My goal is to be able to get what I need into an ICU that I can fit in a Pelican Air 1535 so I can take it on board when I fly. Depending on the actual backpack (I usually take the Tilopa), I can throw a smaller ICU in there while I carry the pack on the plane. Then, at my destination, I take the ICU out of the Pelican and put it in the backpack with whatever else I carried for photo-trekking.

stevenfr

I mostly use the 110 lens, folowed by 150 and 80.

All my gear fits in the Tilopa fstop bag. You may like the 150 lens.

I have the 35, 80 and 120M. I also have a Hassy Super Achromat 250 that makes some nice images and takes up less room than the 240, but of course does not have AF. In the past, that wasn’t a big deal for me, but P1’s focus stacking is awfully nice.

Which lenses do you find yourself using the most consistently?

I have more than a couple of f-stop packs and ICUs. My goal is to be able to get what I need into an ICU that I can fit in a Pelican Air 1535 so I can take it on board when I fly. Depending on the actual backpack (I usually take the Tilopa), I can throw a smaller ICU in there while I carry the pack on the plane. Then, at my destination, I take the ICU out of the Pelican and put it in the backpack with whatever else I carried for photo-trekking.

D&A

Wonderful Blog post Steven. Enjoyable and interesting read about yourself and your work. I regret I wasn't able to make your talk & presentation recently in Washington D.C. I had planned all along to be there until a last minute work assignment got in the way and prevented my doing so and yet I was only 30 minutes away from where you presented at the time.

As for carrying all that equipment, yep, like so many others, been there, done that and I vote for putting it in one of those little red wagons most of us had as kids. :).

Dave (D&A)

stevenfr

Dave

Thanks for your kind thoughts and for responding to my post.

It would have been great to meet. Washington Stand Out was a lot of fun. I went a little over on my time alotment. I get a bit carried away when I talk about photography. Maybe they will invite me for another event on the east coast. We are in preliminary talks about doing a talk as part of a art show at one of the galleries that represent my work in the first quarter of next year.

My thoughts on carrying the gear. I always thought if I leave a lens behind it will be the one I need. I am thinking a couple of assistants to carry the gear might be needed as I get older. Its funny, any time I say this to people they always respond saying sign me up. Not sure they would put up with what I have put up with to get a image. The waiting is something not to many non photographers really get.

Steven

Wonderful Blog post Steven. Enjoyable and interesting read about yourself and your work. I regret I wasn't able to make your talk & presentation recently in Washington D.C. I had planned all along to be there until a last minute work assignment got in the way and prevented my doing so and yet I was only 30 minutes away from where you presented at the time.

As for carrying all that equipment, yep, like so many others, been there, done that and I vote for putting it in one of those little red wagons most of us had as kids. :).

Dave (D&A)