The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Fuji GFXr

tcdeveau

If true, I don’t think it makes the GFX obsolete. I think that a rangefinder type and SLR-like with EVF can coexist nicely.
They've demonstrated that with the X line for quite some time, with the X-Pro line alongside the X-T line.

ejpeiker

Based on the costs of the sensors, which admittedly must be coming down substantially due to the increased volume of the 44x33 sensor over the last year, I still don't think the GFX-R pricepoint in there is realistic. Perhaps ~$5K, definitely not in the $3K range.

iiiNelson

Based on the costs of the sensors, which admittedly must be coming down substantially due to the increased volume of the 44x33 sensor over the last year, I still don't think the GFX-R pricepoint in there is realistic. Perhaps ~$5K, definitely not in the $3K range.
I assume this is due to some sort of EOL cycle onbthe sensor. I can see the camera being in the $4-4500 range as cameras like the 645z can be had for $5000 now with a little shopping around.

Jan

'The GFX 50(?)R is expected to be announced (possibly shipping) by Photokina 2018.'

That is still a good 8 months away ...;-)

hcubell

Apart from price, what is gained with a rangefinder GFX? Are there not significant issues with the accuracy of focusing with a rangefinder? It can only be more of an issue with a 50 mp sensor.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Apart from price, what is gained with a rangefinder GFX? Are there not significant issues with the accuracy of focusing with a rangefinder? It can only be more of an issue with a 50 mp sensor.
Size probably. If it's a simpler, lighter and smaller design than the 50s, it starts to become interesting. Price isn't too much more than a D850 or a A7r III, but the image quality of the Fuji is clearly superior. Looks like a very interesting option if it's true.

Charles S

I would expect it to be something between an X1D and an X-Pro2 (haha. I mean Hass X1D and Fuji X-Pro2)

iiiNelson

As others have said you get a different form factor and perhaps the hybrid OVF/EVF system like the XPro series.

hcubell

As others have said you get a different form factor and perhaps the hybrid OVF/EVF system like the XPro series.
I have no experience with the Fuji X-Pro series, so I don't know if it is a true rangefinder when it comes to focusing. I have a Mamiya 7 and a "real" Leica CL, and I would sure not want to rely upon the focusing systems in those cameras with a very high resolution sensor. I do think that Fuji could come up with a smaller version of the GFX by sacrificing the modularity. I also had the sense when I owned a GFX that there was a lot of empty real estate inside it. It was a lot lighter than its size would indicate.

iiiNelson

I have no experience with the Fuji X-Pro series, so I don't know if it is a true rangefinder when it comes to focusing. I have a Mamiya 7 and a "real" Leica CL, and I would sure not want to rely upon the focusing systems in those cameras with a very high resolution sensor. I do think that Fuji could come up with a smaller version of the GFX by sacrificing the modularity. I also had the sense when I owned a GFX that there was a lot of empty real estate inside it. It was a lot lighter than its size would indicate.
It wouldn’t be a true rangefinder as there are no rangefinder elements in these cameras. It would be a rangefinder style camera that has simulated frameline projection (I presume based on the XPro line), an OVF/EVF, and rangefinder form factor. The camera would still be largely used alongside autofocus lenses and EVF, as you know from experiences with them, greatly ease manual focusing/Focus confirmation compared with traditional OVF’s whether on DSLR or Rangefinders.

jdphoto

The GFX-50r is going to be a rangefinder. That does not make the GFX-50s obsolete.
Current marketing strategies in today's digital world will have many consumers thinking their product is out of date. One of the best cameras i've ever used was the Sony A900 and Nikon D800. Perfectly good cameras by today's standards, but obsolete to most.
Fuji will produce a hybrid OVF/EVF, similar to the Xpro2.

Mark C

MF rangefinder? If so, I think Fuji is answering a question that few people are asking. The X-Pro2 succeeds here as it's small and light (especially with something like the XF 35mm f2 fitted) and for the same reason I doubt the GFX 50R would work, too big and heavy. That is, unless Fuji can pare down the size and weight, then maybe.
They also need to improve the GFX AF tracking for moving subjects. They've managed this with the X-Pro2 which wasn't very good when it first appeared. Now, with the latest FW upgrade, it's a lot better. I suspect they will improve the AF via firmware in the next few months as they have confirmed production of the GF 250mm f4 telephoto and TC for 2018, the current AF capability isn't good enough for the potential suggested by that lens.

Shashin

Fuji has never been afraid of big and heavy rangefinder cameras. Just look at their 6x9 models. I certainly would be interested in a medium-format X Pro2. I already like the current X Pro2 and it really is great to use. I have never enjoyed EVFs, except for the screen on the back of the camera.

hcubell

It wouldn’t be a true rangefinder as there are no rangefinder elements in these cameras. It would be a rangefinder style camera that has simulated frameline projection (I presume based on the XPro line), an OVF/EVF, and rangefinder form factor. The camera would still be largely used alongside autofocus lenses and EVF, as you know from experiences with them, greatly ease manual focusing/Focus confirmation compared with traditional OVF’s whether on DSLR or Rangefinders.
I see. Very interesting option to have an OVF. However, I also never liked framing/composing with wide and long lenses through a viewfinder that uses framelines. I personally need to see the visual effects of a wide or long lens. I have the 43mm lens for the Mamiya 7. Beautiful optical quality, but I found it challenging to frame/compose with it using the auxiliary finder.

tcdeveau

I see. Very interesting option to have an OVF. However, I also never liked framing/composing with wide and long lenses through a viewfinder that uses framelines. I personally need to see the visual effects of a wide or long lens. I have the 43mm lens for the Mamiya 7. Beautiful optical quality, but I found it challenging to frame/compose with it using the auxiliary finder.
The X-Pro 2 viewfinder is a hybrid OVF/EVF. From what I understand you can use it as an OVF, an EVF, or both. This is what I envision Fuji doing with a GFX rangefinder style camera.

More info here: http://fujifilm-x.com/us/x-stories/advanced-hybrid-multi-viewfinder-of-x-pro2-part1/

Never used one but I always looked neat.

iiiNelson

You have the choice to use the camera in either way. You can pull up frame lines to be projected into the OVF or you can use it as a straight EVF if you prefer.

It’s a pretty neat hybrid system for an EVF/OVF combo. I like frame lines for environmental portraits or candid shots as you can see when people/things are entering the frames so that one can pre-focus a bit for exposure. My main qualm with the X-Pro2 is that there’s no articulating/tilting screen and I’m not overly fond of the shutter and ISO dial being paired. I think ISO shouldve it’s own knob ring and exposure compensation could be paired with either on its present design.

If you have a local Fuji store you should test one out on store.

jdphoto

I never bothered using the auxiliary VF on my Mamiya 7/43mm. The camera viewfinder corresponds approximately to the 43mm FL.