The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Short-Mid range 3rd party tele options for X1D

Hausen

I had a life changing event at the start of October and as such I looking to change my photographic style to something a little safer. On Oct 6th I had a 10m fall onto sand here in Auckland while out with my X1D/30mm. Unbelievably as I fell I placed my X1D on the cliff edge so it survived. 8 weeks later after a month in Hospital and a month at home with my leg elevated I am starting to get more mobile on crutches. But my days of hanging off cliffs, slippery rocks and rising tides are over and I am looking to get into minimal and/or abstract shooting. With that in mind I would like something with a bit more reach than my 30mm and I because I am not sure I will like this style I don't really want to splash out on the 120 macro until I am sure. Can anyone recommend a bang for buck type option in 100-200mm range that I can try? Would need to be filter friendly and not to heavy because my leg and pelvis aren't going to be great for awhile.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
That sounds like a horrific accident ... it is so good that you survived and can look forward to getting back out with the camera.

My favorite adapted lens is the Pentax P67 .... I just bought a 200 and when it arrives I will try to post a few images. Probably in the X1D and third party lens thread. Very sharp very
light lens. The last edition ... post 1986(?) is the best of the three ... has a built in hood.

I just posted a couple of pictures in that thread with the P67 100 Macro ... with an adapter it does one to one.

I have had great results with the Pentax P67 300 M* lens ... also light well balanced and beautiful rendition of color. Used it on the Leica S2-P and it was very easy to focus and use
with that camera's OVF. It is easy to identify as it has a green color band on the lens.

The 400 is way too big for what you describe.

Here are a few pictures that I pulled from the P67 300.

Leica S2-P Pentax P67 M* 300

Regards,

Bob

tcdeveau

David that sounds horrible. I can’t imagine what you went through but am glad you survived. Wish you the best with your recovery.

Regarding lenses, you may also want to look into the Pentax 645 lenses in addition to the 67 lenses. The 645 120mm A and 645 150mm A are both supposed to be very good performers, at least on the 645z. I think they are both relatively compact and light too. They can be found used here in the US for a couple hundred dollars each and won’t break the bank. Kipon has a P645-X1D adapter and there may be other vendors too.
-Todd

docmoore

David,

The P67 200 arrived today ... had an hour or so to play with it.

I am very satisfied with the lens ... would recommend it.

Hasselblad 4116 Pentax P67 200

Regards,

Bob

Hausen

Thanks for that Bob. I really like the subtle almost film look from that combo. Could be a winner. Got offered some Hassy V series lenses yesterday but they were 4 to 5 times as expensive as this lens after checking on eBay.

David,

Regards,

Bob

Hausen

So I found a P67 200mm for $140 so jumped on it and should have that and the adaptor between Xmas and NY. Thanks for the sample pics, made the choice easy.

David,

Regards,

Bob

docmoore

Congratulations David,

The P67 lenses are sleepers at this point ... long enough without a digital body that
most are throwing them away for next to nothing.

Easy to focus, beautiful imaging ... I know you will love it.

Not every lens in the bag has to cost the equivalent of a small car.

Look forward to hearing your impressions when it arrives.

I am very pleased with the 200.

Bob