The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 503 with digital back

mostlylost

While I have newer camera equipment, I have lately gotten the urge to purchase one of these old cameras and install a digital back because, well....., just because it looks like fun. I already own cheaper and better solutions and don't really care , this is a project for fun. I'm already past the point of considering that this might be a dumb idea to start with, so keep that in mind.

So, with that stipulation, I'm currently looking at a CFV-16 vs a Leaf Aptus II 28mp. Resolution aside, I'm curious if someone has used both and could offer some generalizations regarding which would be the most satisfactory for general photography of stuff that doesn't move in bright daylight on a tripod.

Ben730

All what I can say is, a P25+ with a 503 is a great combination.
For handheld work the motor winder is a great help.
Regards,
Ben

schuster

I've been using an IQ-160 on my 503CW and ArcBody ever since the back came onto the market. It's been great!

ChrisLivsey

The P20 was my choice, to match the square native format, but I may have over accessorised :cry:

Don't venture much below 1/250th if hand held, film is much more forgiving.

tjv

I enjoy using my Credo 60 on a 500c/m, but only with a tripod on more static subjects. At 60mpx, exact focus is super critical.

One tip: Get a microprism / split prism screen and have the screen position and mirror calibrated. Else it's a world of pain!

jng

I don't think it's possible to over-accessorize! Here's my kit w/IQ160:

20754690249_29ed24cbfc_k.jpg

Agree 100% about ensuring your focusing system is properly calibrated. And a split or microprism will also help. I use a ground glass either with the PME prism + view magnifier (6x total magnification) or the newer waist-level finder (4.5x magnification).

John

dave.gt

I must admit... the thought of a digital back on my 503cxi is what dreams are made of.

I would enjoy this kit:
The H5D-50c that I get to use for work + 16-32 film back...

And,

A CFV50c for my personal 503cxi.

Such a symmetrical kit: two HB cameras of different worlds, capable of doing either film or digital. The only problem is which would I use the most in my personal work?

Dante is alive and well.:(

Godfrey

One of these days, I'll find an approachably priced CFV-50c and use it with my 500CM. I love my Hasselblads, even if I only rarely use them, and have no intention of letting them go any time soon. So far, I've stuck with using them for film only because I hate to give up their native format.

What price love? :D

G

PhiloFarmer

Re: Hasselblad 555-ELD with digital back

In the spirit of things...here's an older image of my 555ELD with a previous MFDB in-use......

PICT0001-2 (web).jpg

I currently attach a Credo-60 in its place....with lots of lens variations....and often use my Silvestri (no images of that...yet...) for tilt/shift movements.

I print 30x40 regularly, and am quite satisfied with the results.

dave.gt

While I have newer camera equipment, I have lately gotten the urge to purchase one of these old cameras and install a digital back because, well....., just because it looks like fun. I already own cheaper and better solutions and don't really care , this is a project for fun. I'm already past the point of considering that this might be a dumb idea to start with, so keep that in mind.

So, with that stipulation, I'm currently looking at a CFV-16 vs a Leaf Aptus II 28mp. Resolution aside, I'm curious if someone has used both and could offer some generalizations regarding which would be the most satisfactory for general photography of stuff that doesn't move in bright daylight on a tripod.
What is the status of your purchasing a digital back? It is Christmas and Dante's counselors here want to know how we can help you along! :bugeyes:

mostlylost

What is the status of your purchasing a digital back? It is Christmas and Dante's counselors here want to know how we can help you along! :bugeyes:
Anxious to see somebody else headed for the poor house ? :)

Specifically, on Dec 21 I took delivery of a really, really clean 500 ELX for $225, a 50mm Distagon C T* for $275, a pristine PM5 prism finder for $150, and some sort of mongral 1968 vintage back that looks like it was used as a trot line weight for $39 :) . Except for the back, this stuff must have belonged to a well to do dentist who ran about 20 rolls total through it. I'm in need of a split image/microprism screen, but have a hard time turning loose of $400 for it. I tried a #5 Brightscreen at $140 from B & H and it was probably useful for leveling the table legs, but not much else.

As to the back, I'm currently eyeing a CFV-16 and a P25 and a P30. I'm somewhat partial to the CFV-16, although I appreciate that other backs can provide improvements. But they don't look as cool as one styled to match the camera. Appearances count, I have modern cameras to actually make photographs :)

Purchase date is pending various minor issues like paying rent, food, utilities ............

dave.gt

Anxious to see somebody else headed for the poor house ? :)

Specifically, on Dec 21 I took delivery of a really, really clean 500 ELX for $225, a 50mm Distagon C T* for $275, a pristine PM5 prism finder for $150, and some sort of mongral 1968 vintage back that looks like it was used as a trot line weight for $39 :) . Except for the back, this stuff must have belonged to a well to do dentist who ran about 20 rolls total through it. I'm in need of a split image/microprism screen, but have a hard time turning loose of $400 for it. I tried a #5 Brightscreen at $140 from B & H and it was probably useful for leveling the table legs, but not much else.

As to the back, I'm currently eyeing a CFV-16 and a P25 and a P30. I'm somewhat partial to the CFV-16, although I appreciate that other backs can provide improvements. But they don't look as cool as one styled to match the camera. Appearances count, I have modern cameras to actually make photographs :)

Purchase date is pending various minor issues like paying rent, food, utilities ............
"Anxious to see somebody else headed for the poor house ? :)"

Hahaha! Nah, it is just the price of admission into Dante's Divine Comedy!
One is never poor when buying or creating art. Maybe just flat broke, though...:):):). I understand about the CFV... it would be a great choice!

bensonga

In the spirit of things...here's an older image of my 555ELD with a previous MFDB in-use......

View attachment 130960

I currently attach a Credo-60 in its place....with lots of lens variations....and often use my Silvestri (no images of that...yet...) for tilt/shift movements.

I print 30x40 regularly, and am quite satisfied with the results.
Wow! That is quite a setup. What digital back is that?

Gary

PhiloFarmer

Wow! That is quite a setup. What digital back is that?

Gary
Hi Gary...thank's for your comment and question. The back shown is one of the early Kodak DCS backs (16MP), and worked admirably, until I upgraded to a Leaf Aptus-65.

Here's an image of one of my current set-ups...a Silvestri Flexicam with a sliding-back (works with all my Hassy glass...has full-capacity movements) for some artificial-light macro work....very cold morning...the MFDB is a Credo-60.

SILVESTRI SET-UP Cr1402 - hk-2-DPI.jpg

I'm climbing the ladder...slowly but surely!

Cheers..........Hank

bensonga

Hi Gary...thank's for your comment and question. The back shown is one of the early Kodak DCS backs (16MP), and worked admirably, until I upgraded to a Leaf Aptus-65.

I'm climbing the ladder...slowly but surely!

Cheers..........Hank
I had never seen a MF digital back with a flip up LCD screen.

Is that the Hassie CF 350mm lens on it? A Gitzo 5 series? Neat how you had the arm extension off the bottom of the center column. I've heard about those, but I've never seen one "in action".

I would love to see any pictures you took with that setup, if you care to share them here.

Your Silvestri setup is also impressive. I don't know much about the Silvestri cameras. I'd say you are well up the ladder now! :thumbup:

Gary

PhiloFarmer

I had never seen a MF digital back with a flip up LCD screen.

Is that the Hassie CF 350mm lens on it? A Gitzo 5 series? Neat how you had the arm extension off the bottom of the center column. I've heard about those, but I've never seen one "in action".

I would love to see any pictures you took with that setup, if you care to share them here.

Your Silvestri setup is also impressive. I don't know much about the Silvestri cameras. I'd say you are well up the ladder now! :thumbup:

Gary
Hi Gary...Thanks for your questions. I always learn by asking questions, and I learn when someone ELSE asks them too!

First...I MISS that "flip-up" screen a lot! I work close-to-the-ground (as you can tell by some of my set-ups. I like the perspective...and have several rigs for accomplishing that.

Second....that lens is the Hassy 140mm-280mm-Macro...one of my all-time favorites.

Third...I have many Gitzo's...some oler...some newer. When I have a choice, the heavier, older V-4's and V-5's are my favorites. They have the mass to offset the vibrations of my gear. They're cold in the winter...but they always work.....even in creeks-and-streams-and-oceans. When I'm hurting for weight...I'll take one of my carbon-fiber G's...but...I have to be more sensitive to vibrations. Just another "pay-attention" while trying to be "creative."

Fourth.......I have a set-up with the "reversed-column" where I can mount the whole camera unit (center-of-lens) about 4-inches off the ground! It takes some physical gymnastics...and a 90+ viewfinder...to make it work!

Here's an image from that session...the Kodak-DCS was "square," which is how I "see" things after so many years of shooting 2-1/4.

2007-01-22-K2159-Upper Pond Ice Shelf-PV (web).jpg

Fifth......I scored that Silvestri quite by chance....I think here on DPI. A "poster" listed a message about a Hassy Flexcam...and I responded. We traded...and were both excited to make-the-move. The sliding back is what makes it a deal for me...my Sinar P-2 is too large to work in-and-around small stuff...so the Silvestri gives me that ability. Movements are friction, not geared, but we're all just photographers...yes? We "make-it-work"...and that's what counts.

I should list my website as part of my "profile"...it's SeeingTao.com....

I'm always open to feedback.....

Cheers,

Hank

PhiloFarmer

Greetings to "Mostly-Lost"...!

I see in your post that you're considering an Aptus-II...and asking for some comparisons.

I have a Leaf-Aptus-65 (28-MP, V-mount, dismounts from portrait-to-landscape in a heartbeat) in mint condition.........and........maybe.........I might be persuaded to part with it. Right now...it's a back-up to my Credo-60. But...It's sitting there...with no creativity emerging from it.

If you're interested...please send me an email to [email protected] and we can have a conversation...if you like...

Cheers.....Hank

bensonga

Hi mostlylost....

If you haven't already looked at the "fat pixel digital backs" thread here, that would be a good place to start re seeing how some of these older MFDB backs perform.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...ital-backs/44225-fat-pixel-digital-backs.html

I have three of the "fat pixel" digital backs. The Hasselblad CFV-16 II (permanently attached to one of my 503CW cameras), a Phase One P25+ and Leaf Aptus II 5. For a Hasselblad V series camera, I think the square format backs are ideal (CFV-16 or Phase One P20/P20+), but rectangular format backs will work too of course.

I really should get out and use my CFV-16 more often. I don't even have a picture of it "in the field" to share, so here is the best I can do. With the PME45 finder, it is not the most attractive looking camera, but I like it.

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

I should list my website as part of my "profile"...it's SeeingTao.com....

Hank
Thanks for sharing your website with us Hank. I just spent some time looking at your photos and reading your blog/news etc. I really enjoyed it!

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all.

Gary