The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm's GFX 50S Thumbs up or down

gdery01

Good morning from Ottawa Canada

I am seriously rethinking my present camera gear and trading it in for the GFX 50S. Presently I have Nikon gear and Hasselblad with Phase One back. Problem I now notice is the difficulty I am having on occasion to accurately focus using my MF kit. Also the mixed equipment makes it cumbersome when I do a photoshoot. But, I love the MF format and have used it most of my photo career.

I have heard a lot about the GFX system and am seriously considering it for my all inclusive kit whether for portraits or landscapes.

Does anyone here have experience with the GFX 50S system and what is your opinion about it or am I crazy and should spend my money on a psychiatrist?

Happy Holidays

Respectfully

Gaetan Dery, CD, LPPO
1305 St Joseph, Embrun, ON
K0A 1W0

Web: Welcome | Photo Studio Dery

EMail: [email protected]

Paul2660

In my experience, the AF on the GFX is very good, only having issue in low light, and or subjects with limited contrast such as clouds.

The camera has around 425 focus points, the stock 117 which can be further divided into the final number.

AF on 32-64 for example is not fast like with a DSLR from Nikon or Canon, but it's still fast enough for my work. It's also very nice to know that you can quickly locate the off center focus points with the joystick, with the camera still held up to your eye. The joystick being on the right side and the grip on the right side makes it such that you may have to slightly change your grip to get your thumb on the joystick, but of me it's no big deal.

The camera seems very accurate when the AF is obtained also, even with the AF points at the far edge of the frame.

Another huge benefit is that you can use AF to fix your subject, then turn the AF to MF on the camera body and the AF point stays fixed UNLIKE THE FUJI X SERIES CAMERAS. You can also turn the camera off and back on and the current AF point stays fixed, again unlike the X series cameras which will require focus check.

Coming from the XF P1 body which I still use, I personally prefer the Hasselblad and Fuji style of AF, allowing multiple points (X1D).

Paul Caldwell

The GFX is probably the only MFD camera I would even bother considering. I know some people making really stunning work with it. I think the people going with the Hasselblad are more interested in how the camera looks on the seat of their Mercedes than what it has to offer as a value proposition. :ROTFL:

kdphotography

For landscape work, the Fuji GFX is excellent, and easy to hike around with.

For portrait work, especially with studio strobes, I don't like the Fuji GFX. The Phase XF and IQ3100 wins hands down, imho. Workflow with C1 Pro is a whole other issue, and with portraiture and clients----is huge, imho. Phase One wins again.

So your other option is to buy the GFX for landscape work, and upgrade your Hasselblad and/or Phase MFDB (you didn't mention which MFDB you have). The Phase XF body AF is excellent, and the HAP2 upgrade, which should be standard on a new XF body----is excellent. AF is faster and more accurate, and better in dim light.

It is Dante's forum----and it is Christmas. :D

Ken

p.s. Get the GFX and the Phase XF/MFDB upgrade. If you go to a psychiatrist, you will spend the same amount of money, you'll still be crazy, but you won't have the cameras to show for it. :ROTFL:

p.p.s. There is a Fuji GFX in the buy/sell forum.

tcdeveau

The GFX is probably the only MFD camera I would even bother considering. I know some people making really stunning work with it. I think the people going with the Hasselblad are more interested in how the camera looks on the seat of their Mercedes than what it has to offer as a value proposition. :ROTFL:
I think my X1D looks pretty great on the seat of my 2008 Honda Accord.

Yes the Fuji is a better value but there are other reasons to go with the Hasselblad over the Fuji than simply how it looks. Value isn't always the most important factor when deciding on which camera system to buy and looks weren't the most important factor in my decision to buy.

Back to the OP's question, if you're having trouble with focusing accuracy with your current MF system, the multiple AF points of the GFX will be a huge help. Definitely try before you buy if you can to make sure the GFX would fit in your workflow.

Chapel

I was in a similar situation with a Leica M and a Mamiya with a Leaf back. I sold them and got a Pentax 645z. I really like the multiple af points compared to the Mamiya. My hit rate on keepers is way up as a result. The Fuji has even more points which is probably even better.
Greg

Shashin

...or am I crazy and should spend my money on a psychiatrist?
Well, yes and no. Yes, you are crazy (or at least as sane as everyone here). And no, don't waste your money on a psychiatrist, we will be happy to provide counseling.

(And lets face it, if you really wanted a cure, you would not have posted here...)

Don Libby

I've had my GFX now since late March and have had no regrets whatsoever. I shoot landscape, nature and wildlife (in that order) and have found the GFX an excellent system for all three. Shooting landscape in the Moab area in April was my introduction to the system and enjoyed it so much I found I kept my Iq1-100 in the truck the entire time. I took the system with me to shoot Silo City in Buffalo shortly after and it was here that it sold itself to me. Lightweight body, lightweight, smallish lens that allowed me the opportunity to carry much more and achieve great results.

My original idea when getting the GFX was to use it as a companion camera to my XF/IQ1-100. Using the GFX when I didn't feel like carrying around the huge weight that's required with the P1 system. The sensor is great and has the same crop as my original P30+ with more resolution. Frankly, by the end of the summer I was using the GFX much more than the XF and achieving just as good a file as I would have with the XF.

There's two major flaws to the GFX (I've written about these on my blog) with one that Fuji can fix while the other it can't. The major design flaw to the body is the stupid neckstrap attachment; no matter which strap I've tried they all end up tying themselves in a knot. The other fault is not being able to properly use C1 although the more I've been using the GFX the more I've found I like what I can achieve using Adobe ACR, Bridge and Photoshop.

The lenses that Fuji has introduced are first rate. I have the 23, 32-64, 63, and 120 and wouldn't give any of them up. I also use an older Mamiya APO 200 with great success. Fuji will be introducing a 250mm along with a 1.4 extender sometime in the summer of 2018 which will bring a longer lens. We can also expect to see a 100 megapixel GFX released in the wild around 2019.

I've used Phase One digital backs for longer than I care to remember beginning with the P30+ and ending with the Iq1-100, I've also used a Mamiya body as well as the new and vastly improved XF body. I've also attached my backs to a Cambo tech camera during this same time period. What I've found is that the older I've gotten the less abuse my body is willing to take and I needed to considerable lighten my load and to that end I've chosen to use the GFX exclusively now having sold all my P1 gear. That's how well I like the GFX as a system.

While I highly recommend the GFX and can still also equally recommend Phase One my suggestion is to try it before you buy it.

Don

Hausen

I primarily shoot long exposure and almost pushed the button on a GFX but was annoyed with the processing work arounds required with LR/PS which made me look at the X1D. Now I couldn't be happier because the X1D is as close to a perfect camera for me and the continual improvements made through firmware updates makes you feel the love from Hasselblad. Also GFX is pig ugly.

hcubell

The OP never asked about the X1D, but if you feel the overwhelming urge to comment on camera equipment as as a form of class warfare, the MF Forum at DP Review is a very welcoming venue that you would love!

fmueller

Recently purchased a GFX 50S w/32-64 and 110. The rest of my gear is a Sony A7r2 and a Cambo WRS 1200 with a Credo 60 MFDB.

The A7r2 has impressive resolution and I have really obsessed putting together a small collection of exceptional lenses to make it shine, mostly using Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses, and somewhat ironically most are manual focus...

The Credo 60 is a spectacular CCD back in the same sweet spot as the iq160/260 allowing more generous movements than any other MFDB I've heard about. But a tech cam is slow, and the CCD limits exposure times significantly. I probably should have gotten an iq260. FWIW, I have 645DF that I really never warmed to...even though it works perfectly. It could be that the tech cam lenses are just so much better than the pre blue-line SK lenses and if I'm hauling out heavier gear I'm reaching for the tech cam. For lack of a better description, I'm an outdoor photographer, when I photograph people I grab the Sony.

The Fuji is a recent purchase, one I am happier about with every use. The camera is solid, but very easy to handle and use. Autofocus has been quite nice with very few fails. Most importantly, the files, while not much higher resolution than the Sony A7r2 seem to be in a whole different league of quality. They have a rich and full quality missing from the A7r2 and almost matching the Credo 60 (jury is still out on that one). Whether this translates to the print still remains to be seen, but I can see it on the computer monitor.

Don Libby

Hoping to not make this a long story but here it goes...

My best image printed, licensed and sold has been a 4-shot quickie handheld shot with a Mamiya/P30+ combo that is printed 30x60 at 300ppi. The second best image is a 40x30 shot with a IQ180. Both have stunning resolutions both on a computer screen as well as on a final print (both images have been printed paper, canvas and metal). The first image is what I'd normally compare all others to s that was taken with older technology, less resolution and a cropped sensor.

Fast forward to the GFX 50s. While I haven't as yet printed as large as 30x60 I have produced prints in the 40x30 neighborhood and can see that given the proper files 30x60, 40x60 or above are well within the capacities of this camera.

Once again my suggestion is to give it a good test, take it out kick the tires, take it to the extremes then go home and process the files. Getting past the fact you can't readily open the files in C1 use a work around or just open them up in Adobe ACR Bridge. The colors are stunning, the amount of shadows you can pull up will take your breath away.

One other thing:

Earlier this year I did a side by test shooting hummingbirds. Sandy shot with her Sony A7rII and 70-200 with and without the extender on burst mode. I attempted to use the XF/IQ1-100 and 240 and frankly failed; then again this was not what the system was designed for. Switching to the GFX and using an older Mamiya APO 200 and burst mode I succeeded. While not as fast as the Sony the Fuji did however produce stunning files. Later this year I stalked and shot buffalo and moose in Jackson Hole using the GFX/Mamiya APO 200 combo *with and without a 2x) in frigid wet weather in a combination of rain, slush, and snow. All with equally better success than I had before.

Hope this helps the OP.

Don

ErikKaffehr

Hi Don,

Thanks for lot of good info! It seems that Fuji makes a camera a lot of folks like. From what I have seen, I am pretty much impressed.

As far as I understand 100 MP will come the GFX in 2019 and it will be able to handle those pixels well.

Best regards
Erik

Hoping to not make this a long story but here it goes...

My best image printed, licensed and sold has been a 4-shot quickie handheld shot with a Mamiya/P30+ combo that is printed 30x60 at 300ppi. The second best image is a 40x30 shot with a IQ180. Both have stunning resolutions both on a computer screen as well as on a final print (both images have been printed paper, canvas and metal). The first image is what I'd normally compare all others to s that was taken with older technology, less resolution and a cropped sensor.

Fast forward to the GFX 50s. While I haven't as yet printed as large as 30x60 I have produced prints in the 40x30 neighborhood and can see that given the proper files 30x60, 40x60 or above are well within the capacities of this camera.

Once again my suggestion is to give it a good test, take it out kick the tires, take it to the extremes then go home and process the files. Getting past the fact you can't readily open the files in C1 use a work around or just open them up in Adobe ACR Bridge. The colors are stunning, the amount of shadows you can pull up will take your breath away.

One other thing:

Earlier this year I did a side by test shooting hummingbirds. Sandy shot with her Sony A7rII and 70-200 with and without the extender on burst mode. I attempted to use the XF/IQ1-100 and 240 and frankly failed; then again this was not what the system was designed for. Switching to the GFX and using an older Mamiya APO 200 and burst mode I succeeded. While not as fast as the Sony the Fuji did however produce stunning files. Later this year I stalked and shot buffalo and moose in Jackson Hole using the GFX/Mamiya APO 200 combo *with and without a 2x) in frigid wet weather in a combination of rain, slush, and snow. All with equally better success than I had before.

Hope this helps the OP.

Don

gdery01

To all who have provided feedback to me...Thank you. I learned a lot from your comments. It doesn't simplify the decision but I think I am in a better position to make a decision.
Thank you and Happy Holidays to all

Respectfully

Gaetan Dery, CD, LPPO
1305 St Joseph, Embrun, ON
K0A 1W0

Web: www.photostudiodery.net

EMail: [email protected]

Uaiomex

Why do you find them crappy? They look exactly like the attachments of my 500CM and for me they are the most practical I've ever experienced on any camera I've owned.
Best

That's my impression as well; I only hope they fix the crappy neck strap attachment.

Paul2660

Why do you find them crappy? They look exactly like the attachments of my 500CM and for me they are the most practical I've ever experienced on any camera I've owned.
Best
They limit you to only using the Fuji Strap if you want a perfect fit. Straps like ones from peak designs which I use work but not well too much play.

Paul Caldwell