The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 17m TS E on a fuji GFX 50S

felix5616

I want to try using a canon 17mm TS E lens on a fuji GFX 50S body. Does the Canon 17mm TS E lens have an electronic or mechanical F stop. Would i need a simple mechanical mount adapter or an adapter with f stop controls?

kdphotography

Get the electronic controlled adapter. The Canon 17mm TSE aperture is controlled electronically. Cambo makes an adapter as does Kipon. The adapters are similar and both require charging via USB. The Cambo comes with a nice portable USB battery charger to plug into. The Kipon has a really cool dragon logo etched into the metal. :ROTFL:

It works well! I already had the Cambo WRE-CA for my Cambo WRS 1600 and 17mm TSE, so it made sense to simply use an adapter on the Fuji GFX, otherwise the Fuji 23mm would have been an option for me.

Ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I recommend the Techart EF/GFX adapter if you want a seamless integration of Canon TSE aperture control via the camera body vs the external stop down controls of the Cambo / Kipon adapters. It's more expensive but it does support total control of the lens in camera, lens EXIF data, plus AF if you want to use Canon mount AF lenses too.

:thumbup:

ejpeiker

I want to try using a canon 17mm TS E lens on a fuji GFX 50S body. Does the Canon 17mm TS E lens have an electronic or mechanical F stop. Would i need a simple mechanical mount adapter or an adapter with f stop controls?
To answer your question, by definition, the Canon EF mount is electronic aperture control. The TSE lenses all control their apertures electronically.

Don Libby

I recommend the Techart EF/GFX adapter if you want a seamless integration of Canon TSE aperture control via the camera body vs the external stop down controls of the Cambo / Kipon adapters. It's more expensive but it does support total control of the lens in camera, lens EXIF data, plus AF if you want to use Canon mount AF lenses too.

:thumbup:
This could become dangerous

tcdeveau

This is probably a dumb question I should know the answer to, but when using lenses like the 17mm TS-E with an electronic adapter (such as kipon/cambo/techart etc) on the GFX do you have to use the electronic shutter or can you use the focal plane shutter of the body?

GrahamWelland

The TSE lenses and Techart adapter work with any shutter mode. I don’t have the other Canon adapters but I would expect them to work in the same way.

I do have both Fotodiox and Kipon Mamiya adapters for GFX and they too work with all shutter modes but obviously they’re ‘dumb’ adapters vs the active Techart type of adapter.

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

Why do you think so?

Seriously, there can be problems with third party intelligent adapters. In some cases it was known that some adapter put out the wrong voltage on the pins to the lens which could damage the lens or blow the fuse in the camera.

But, a properly designed adapter would not do that. Do we know an adapter is properly designed? We don't.

There were some problems reported by users of some Sony FE mount to Nikon adapters, just as an example.

Best regards
Erik

This could become dangerous

GrahamWelland

Erik

I think that you may be taking Don too literally. I know Don and typically when he uses dangerous in the context of gear, in this case Canon lens adapters, he means dengerous for his wallet! :ROTFL:

Now I wouldn’t advise crossing Don either though because he has the training, experience and (having seen his target shooting scores) the aptitude to be truly dangerous ... :salute::chug:

CAMBOUSA

The Cambo CA-GFX allows for both electronic and focal plane shutter on the GFX.

I would be willing to assume that other options would be similar.

Of course, let me know if you have any questions on the Cambo side of things!

kdphotography

Erik

I think that you may be taking Don too literally. I know Don and typically when he uses dangerous in the context of gear, in this case Canon lens adapters, he means dengerous for his wallet! :ROTFL:

Now I wouldn’t advise crossing Don either though because he has the training, experience and (having seen his target shooting scores) the aptitude to be truly dangerous ... :salute::chug:
"Dangerous" could also mean Don's wife Sandy bopping him over the head with a Canon great white...

:ROTFL:

Shashin

Naturally, the Canon 17m(eter) lens would be enough to kill anyone, if you could lift it and drop it from a high place...