The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D autofocus issue

jng

Hi everyone,

Santa showed up early with a new Hasselblad X1D 4116 w/45mm lens. I was initially quite excited but I think I got punked. Sometimes the AF locks on, but this is the minority of cases. More frequently, the AF will rack to some extreme near-focus point (all blurry), and then get stuck and won't re-acquire focus at all. Releasing the shutter button from half-way down won't get it going again either. Same thing when using the AF-D button on the back. All in decent light. If I manually rack focus to some point close to in focus it might catch on, but not reliably so.

I updated both the camera firmware (1.20.0) and lens firmware (0.5.13), but it was doing this before the updates. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'd like to know before I pack it up and return it. Arrggghhhh!

Thanks in advance.

John

P.S. Also can someone tell me how to get images in Phocus to show in the !@##$ viewer (they show up as 3FR files in the thumbnail browser strip)?

Hi everyone,

Santa showed up early with a new Hasselblad X1D 4116 w/45mm lens. I was initially quite excited but I think I got punked. Sometimes the AF locks on, but this is the minority of cases. More frequently, the AF will rack to some extreme near-focus point (all blurry), and then get stuck and won't re-acquire focus at all. Releasing the shutter button from half-way down won't get it going again either. Same thing when using the AF-D button on the back. All in decent light. If I manually rack focus to some point close to in focus it might catch on, but not reliably so.

I updated both the camera firmware (1.20.0) and lens firmware (0.5.13), but it was doing this before the updates. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'd like to know before I pack it up and return it. Arrggghhhh!

Thanks in advance.

John

P.S. Also can someone tell me how to get images in Phocus to show in the !@##$ viewer (they show up as 3FR files in the thumbnail browser strip)?
Sorry to hear that. Seems something wrong, as the AF-aquisition should work fine, if there is a decent amount of contrast. Maybe you should try to change the size of the AF-point (under AF menu).

Regarding the Raw-files in Phocus, you must import them first (button up left), as Phocus only reads .fff not .3FR. Quite confusing ...

jng

Thanks. Yes I tried changing AF point sizes. The strange thing is, sometimes it works, but then it doesn't, all w/fairly high contrast objects. Will futz more tomorrow in daytime light.

Ah, got it re: importing 3FR files to .fff.

Thanks again for your help!

Sorry to hear that. Seems something wrong, as the AF-aquisition should work fine, if there is a decent amount of contrast. Maybe you should try to change the size of the AF-point (under AF menu).

Regarding the Raw-files in Phocus, you must import them first (button up left), as Phocus only reads .fff not .3FR. Quite confusing ...

jng

Welp, it looks like I got a bad unit. It stopped focusing altogether in both AF and MF modes, so clearly there's something defective either in the lens or the body electronics. So, back it goes, either for a replacement or a refund. Probably the former - aside from this problem, it really is a gorgeous piece of engineering.

John

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Probably will not help but you might try dismounting the lens and cleaning the contacts on lens mount and the lens ... some recommend the red rubber eraser
of a pencil ... taking care not to scratch or get debris in the units. Gentle isopropyl alcohol may help.

But it does sound like one or the other is at fault.

Bob

jng

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion. When the AF was functioning intermittently I inspected the contacts, which were all shiny and clean. I wiped them off with a clean chamois (but no solvent), to no avail. Also went through multiple power cycles and reloaded the lens firmware. When the focusing mechanism went completely dead, I threw in the towel and packed up the camera. I have asked the dealer for a replacement. The haptics, user interface, and quality of the few shots I did manage to get convinced me that the X1D is just what I want to complement my Cambo rig. Hopefully this will all get sorted out quickly and wind up being a minor (as opposed to epic) glitch in the grand scheme of things.

John

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion. When the AF was functioning intermittently I inspected the contacts, which were all shiny and clean. I wiped them off with a clean chamois (but no solvent), to no avail. Also went through multiple power cycles and reloaded the lens firmware. When the focusing mechanism went completely dead, I threw in the towel and packed up the camera. I have asked the dealer for a replacement. The haptics, user interface, and quality of the few shots I did manage to get convinced me that the X1D is just what I want to complement my Cambo rig. Hopefully this will all get sorted out quickly and wind up being a minor (as opposed to epic) glitch in the grand scheme of things.

John

Good to stay positive.

That said, I think, Hasselblad has to urgently step up its game as regards quality control. Too much problems like yours and others like SD door cracks, lens shades that not fit, batteries without sealing gaskets, dials that not work properly ... I myself after six months waiting received my 120mm macro, only to see after one week that it stopped working because of some AF motor mechanism failure.

Nevertheless I get you, it is a wonderful camera/system and we all hope that Hasselblad does get it right sooner than later.

jng

OK, I'm back in business. I received my replacement X1D today and so far everything seems to work as it should. Of course, now that the holidays are over the day job has taken over again and the weather has turned somewhat foul (but no blizzards here, thankfully), so it may be a while before I get out to do any serious shooting.

Thanks for your input and encouragement.

John

dave.gt

OK, I'm back in business. I received my replacement X1D today and so far everything seems to work as it should. Of course, now that the holidays are over the day job has taken over again and the weather has turned somewhat foul (but no blizzards here, thankfully), so it may be a while before I get out to do any serious shooting.

Thanks for your input and encouragement.

John
Happy New Year, John!

Now the honeymoon begins... with work and bad weather, you can spend evenings bonding and looking forward to the weekend! :)

Really looking forward to your posting soon! :thumbup: