The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kipon is shipping tilt and shift adapters for GFX and X1D

Re: Kipon is shifting tilt and shift adapters for GFX and X1D

But I wonder to whom they're shipping? They don't seem to have appeared on eBay or any US dealer's website.

Kirk

archivue

Re: Kipon is shifting tilt and shift adapters for GFX and X1D

But I wonder to whom they're shipping? They don't seem to have appeared on eBay or any US dealer's website.

Kirk
This lineup OF adapters will be available from Tmall, Amazon, Ebay and some dealers in different countries STARTING IN Jan 2018, WITH A suggested retail price OF $628US.”

Hausen

This is very interesting to me. The only thing I missed about my Sony + Actus system was movements. Now just have to work out which lens to pair with it.:D

That's a hefty price, but I guess it'll be worth it.

I could use Pentax 645 35mm and 55mm with TS adapter. Both have good resolution and not too much contrast on GFX, and the image circle should be large enough for movement needed in landscapes.

I'm interested in seeing what the decrease in diffraction produces when using tilt and not having to stop down as far for DOF. Just a little $600 experiment.

Kirk

PS, A LN Hartblei 45mm TS for Pentax 645 sold for only $700 this AM on eBay. I'd been tempted to bid, but the sheer weight of the thing, and the prospect of using more than one lens with the forthcoming adapter, deterred me.

jvadasz

does anybody use this solution?
Yes, I use it on my GFX with Pentax 645 lenses. The lenses are the 45-85, 80-160 and, 150-300. Most of the time I use the 80-160.

The build quality is great and the way it allows the camera to rotate means I don’t need an L-Bracket on the camera body...so I always have easy access to the battery.

I really enjoy the flexibility I get with this setup. If there is an issue it’s that the adapter does not look like it would be weather proof in very poor weather as there are lots of seams but I suspect all tilt/shift adapters would have the same issue.

-Jeff

Hausen

Do you shoot any long exposures with it? I assume if you feel it may not be weather proof then it will likely leak light?

Yes, I use it on my GFX with Pentax 645 lenses. The lenses are the 45-85, 80-160 and, 150-300. Most of the time I use the 80-160.

The build quality is great and the way it allows the camera to rotate means I don’t need an L-Bracket on the camera body...so I always have easy access to the battery.

I really enjoy the flexibility I get with this setup. If there is an issue it’s that the adapter does not look like it would be weather proof in very poor weather as there are lots of seams but I suspect all tilt/shift adapters would have the same issue.

-Jeff

jvadasz

Do you shoot any long exposures with it? I assume if you feel it may not be weather proof then it will likely leak light?

I made some exposures up to 2 seconds with no issue. I don't believe light leak is an issue with this adapter. I think of it like this...I feel like my Canon TS-E lenses would not do well in very poor weather either but I don't fear light leak, and have never experienced it, with those lenses.

Hope that helps.
--Jeff

jvadasz

For those wanting pictures of the adapter I hope these help...

Unknown.jpg

Unknown-4.jpg

One can attach a lens foot here...

Unknown-5.jpg

You see the 1 larger ridged button, that controls tilt. Loosen to tilt, tighten to lock in place. The smaller round buttons below allow you to rotate the rear (camera body) or front (the lens).

Unknown-6.jpg

Side view of maximum tilt.

Unknown-7.jpg

Top view of max. tilt.

Unknown-8.jpg

Camera rotated for a "portrait" style photo.

Unknown-9.jpg

Lens shifted. By rotating the lens the shift becomes vertical.

As for test images, I am a bit swamped today but can make one or 2 in a few days. That said they do not differ from other tilt lenses (i.e. Canon, etc.) in function.

--Jeff

Owen

Thanks Jeff. How easily and securely does the rotation on the shift mechanism lock into place when you change the orientation? On my older Kipon P645-EOS adapter it's hard to make it 'click' in so if I then want to change aperture the lens often wiggles around. I quite often want to take two frames at f11 and f4 and be able to overlay them perfectly.

jvadasz

Thanks Jeff. How easily and securely does the rotation on the shift mechanism lock into place when you change the orientation? On my older Kipon P645-EOS adapter it's hard to make it 'click' in so if I then want to change aperture the lens often wiggles around. I quite often want to take two frames at f11 and f4 and be able to overlay them perfectly.
While I have not used the older P45-EOS adapter, based on your description, this one sounds much better.

The two "buttons" (as I described them) are actually spring loaded "pins" that you pull out then twist 90 degrees. That will allow the lens (for the front one) or the camera (back one) to rotate in either direction. Once it begins to rotate there are detents every 15 degrees for the back (camera body) and every 90 degrees for the front (lens). The pins will only go back into locked position at one of the detents. The spring on the pins will pull the pin into the locked position if it has been turned back to the original position and it hits a detent. Otherwise you can just twist the pin when you arrive at the detent you are trying to find.

I'll admit to forgetting to lock the pin in occasionally, and yes, changing the aperture can turn the lens!

I would like it if they would come out with an updated one for EOS as I still have my Canon body.

Hope that helps!
--Jeff

jvadasz

Thx for the pictures!

I didn't understand the tripod mount you're using. Is that a nodal slider?

Kirk
It’s just a generic lens plate with an arca style set of grooves. The picture above showing the bottom of the adapter has two different size holes that can accept a screw for lens plates. I suppose you can the attach a plate to any system you have.

Hope that helps.
—Jeff

It’s just a generic lens plate with an arca style set of grooves. The picture above showing the bottom of the adapter has two different size holes that can accept a screw for lens plates. I suppose you can the attach a plate to any system you have.

Hope that helps.
—Jeff
Jeff, do you trust the Kipon tripod mount? It is just attached with two weak screws to a very small area of the t/s adapter. Mine came loose by just looking at it sort off.
/Eric

jvadasz

Jeff, do you trust the Kipon tripod mount? It is just attached with two weak screws to a very small area of the t/s adapter. Mine came loose by just looking at it sort off.
/Eric
Well, when I first saw it, I thought it was not going to work but when I put the foot on it it seemed pretty solid.

I have had it about 2 months now (perhaps a bit longer) so it is still new in my mind.

-Jeff