The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Choosing a second Hasselblad HC Lens

Which would you recommend?

• 50mm Version 1

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 80mm

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi all,

I'm primarily, if not entirely a portrait photographer. I do most of my work in a studio, with a combination of a Nikon D810 and a Sinar P for some film work. I recently picked up a Hasselblad H2 to have an autofocus film option and have already purchased a 120mm Macro lens for it, which ticks a lot of boxes for me. I'm looking for a second lens, something a bit wider to give my subjects a bit of breathing room. On the D810, I use a Tamron 45mm for this purpose and I love the results.

For the Hassy, I'm trying to decide between a HC50mm (version 1) and an HC80mm. From what I can gather, the 50mm is somewhere in the 30mm range in 35mm parlance, whilst the 80mm is more like a 50mm. Anyone portrait shooters out there who can give me some insight into these two lenses, where their strengths and weaknesses lie and given that they're roughly the same price, which you might recommend someone in my position?

Appreciate it!

med

For me and my style, my most used portrait lenses (in the studio) are 80mm and 160mm on 645 film (or 36x48 digital MF which is only a 1.1x crop from 645). These are roughly equivalent to 50mm and 85mm-90mm in 35mm terms and I use them for everything from full length to closeups. Any wider and I start getting in trouble with over-emphasizing body/facial features and backgrounds not being large enough.

Personally I only ever use my 50mm (on 645/digital MF) for environmental portraits, but for those I prefer something wider usually in the 24-28 35mm equivalency range which I don't have in my MF arsenal...

These images were both 80mm on 36x48 digital MF. I don't have any HC lenses; I use the CF lens adaptor to use my V lenses on my H1.

Moisha!0320.jpg

C05 Fashion assignment0265.jpg

Dustbak

I would say the 80 but.... that is because you will regret getting the 50vs1 when you find out that the vs2 is so much better.

The 100 would have been my first choice of lens btw, maybe together with the 150 if I would primarily shoot portraits.

I would say the 80 but.... that is because you will regret getting the 50vs1 when you find out that the vs2 is so much better.

The 100 would have been my first choice of lens btw, maybe together with the 150 if I would primarily shoot portraits.
I would have loved to snag a 100mm lens, it looks like an absolute beauty of a portrait lens. But it's well out of my price range at the moment. For the price of that one lens, I can have the versatility of a two lens setup and still have some extra money to spare :)

I am primarily a portrait and product shooter and I am using a H6D-100c as well as a X1D, besides my older Nikon (D4s). I have sold the HC 80 recently, which came as a kit with an older H5D, and invested into the new orange dotted 100 and a second-hand 150N. For products I am using normally the 120II. Never regretted this move. For headshots, the 150 is incredible sharp, similar to the 120 but lighter and faster in AF acquisition. For full body shots outdoor with flash I prefer the 100, since I can x-sync up to 1/2000sec when available light prevails. Also, the 100 is fully compatible via adapter to the X1D with full AF support as recently introduced by sw update (not yet the 150).
But I must admit that the orange dotted 50 is also on my wish list for next year...

Well, in theory I could return my 120mm and get a 100mm. The question though is whether or not it’s better to have more flexibility with two lenses or just go all in with the 100mm.

It’s a conundrum. I just love the system and want to get the most out of it. When i shoot my Nikon d810 i primarily rely on my 85 mm milvus and 70-200 f4. The 120 is closer to that focal length than the 100mm and is really flexible with ya close focus ability. I don’t know, it’s a tricky one.....

I am primarily a portrait and product shooter and I am using a H6D-100c as well as a X1D, besides my older Nikon (D4s). I have sold the HC 80 recently, which came as a kit with an older H5D, and invested into the new orange dotted 100 and a second-hand 150N. For products I am using normally the 120II. Never regretted this move. For headshots, the 150 is incredible sharp, similar to the 120 but lighter and faster in AF acquisition. For full body shots outdoor with flash I prefer the 100, since I can x-sync up to 1/2000sec when available light prevails. Also, the 100 is fully compatible via adapter to the X1D with full AF support as recently introduced by sw update (not yet the 150).
But I must admit that the orange dotted 50 is also on my wish list for next year...

Charles S

Well, in theory I could return my 120mm and get a 100mm. The question though is whether or not it’s better to have more flexibility with two lenses or just go all in with the 100mm.

It’s a conundrum. I just love the system and want to get the most out of it. When i shoot my Nikon d810 i primarily rely on my 85 mm milvus and 70-200 f4. The 120 is closer to that focal length than the 100mm and is really flexible with ya close focus ability. I don’t know, it’s a tricky one.....
Get the lens you really want, and rent another focal length if you need it. I voted for the 50mm as second lens in case you do environmental portraits or sometimes shoot in smaller spaces. Depensing on how often you, do renting might be a better option

Get the lens you really want, and rent another focal length if you need it. I voted for the 50mm as second lens in case you do environmental portraits or sometimes shoot in smaller spaces. Depensing on how often you, do renting might be a better option
That's a pretty decent idea, thank you.

We have a place here that will rent Hassy H lenses, it's quite expensive, but it's possible. Thank you for your input!

Another idea for a 2 lens setup is one prime (as u have) combined with a zoom like the 35-90. That is how I started in MF a couple of years ago. The 80 prime came with the kit and the 35-90 via Ebay second-hand, but with few clicks only and in mint condition. The 35-90 zoom is as good as a prime, though not that fast as e.g. the 100 f2.2 and heavy. It is the most expensive lens today when buying new, ridiculously priced like a small car....
Still have it and would let it go. PM me if you should be interested. Still want to get the orange-dotted 50 II. Anybody have one and want to give away this one?

Charles S

Another idea for a 2 lens setup is one prime (as u have) combined with a zoom like the 35-90. That is how I started in MF a couple of years ago. The 80 prime came with the kit and the 35-90 via Ebay second-hand, but with few clicks only and in mint condition. The 35-90 zoom is as good as a prime, though not that fast as e.g. the 100 f2.2 and heavy. It is the most expensive lens today when buying new, ridiculously priced like a small car....
Still have it and would let it go. PM me if you should be interested. Still want to get the orange-dotted 50 II. Anybody have one and want to give away this one?
Or the 50-110. On Ebay for about 1750 USD for a "well used" one. But if you do longer shoots, you need a tripod, it's too heavy to hand hold for more than half an hour