The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Maximum CF card size for a CFV-16

mostlylost

The instructions talk about small capacities that are no longer readily available. I found an antique 1gb card that hadn't seen the light of day since I had an Olympus E-10, but everything else is 16gb or larger.

John_McMaster

If you have the back, why not try a 16GB card? It will either accept it or not, only thing I can think of is if it is a 2GB limit (FAT format) or can go larger on FAT32....

john

RobbieAB

The instructions talk about small capacities that are no longer readily available. I found an antique 1gb card that hadn't seen the light of day since I had an Olympus E-10, but everything else is 16gb or larger.
One thing to look out for if trying larger cards is it's possible the firmware will not be able to format larger than 2GB. I've seen this behaviour in all of my older cameras (Canon 350D, 5D, and Phase One P30). What I discovered was that if I format the cards in a computer with a proper 32bit FAT creation tool, the cameras have always coped completely fine.

If you use the camera to format it and it decides to only create a 2GB partition, be prepared for the computer to "not be entirely happy". It's also a pain if you aren't confident with doing this to undo the effect on a Windows computer.

mostlylost

One thing to look out for if trying larger cards is it's possible the firmware will not be able to format larger than 2GB. I've seen this behaviour in all of my older cameras (Canon 350D, 5D, and Phase One P30). What I discovered was that if I format the cards in a computer with a proper 32bit FAT creation tool, the cameras have always coped completely fine.

If you use the camera to format it and it decides to only create a 2GB partition, be prepared for the computer to "not be entirely happy". It's also a pain if you aren't confident with doing this to undo the effect on a Windows computer.
I formatted a 16gb card for MS=DOS (FAT) on my MAC, then formatted it in the camera. Seems perfectly happy, which came as something of a surprise :)

dave.gt

I formatted a 16gb card for MS=DOS (FAT) on my MAC, then formatted it in the camera. Seems perfectly happy, which came as something of a surprise :)
You have the CFV-16 back!

How is that working for you? Pictures to share would be nice for us to celebrate along with you! :):):)

MomentsForZen

I don't know about the maximum capacity for the CF cards that can be used in a CFV-16, but I have had no trouble with 32, 64 or 128 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro CF cards.

- SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro CompactFlash Memory Card (160MB/s)
- Type 1
- https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...dcfxps_032g_a46_32gb_extreme_pro_compact.html

- SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro CompactFlash Memory Card (160MB/s)
- Type 1
- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...dcfxps_064g_a46_64gb_extreme_pro_compact.html

- SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro CompactFlash Memory Card (160MB/s) B&H # SAEPCF128GBQ MFR # SDCFXPS-128G-A46
- Type 1
- https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...cfxps_128g_a46_128gb_extreme_pro_compact.html

... MomentsForZen (Richard)

dave.gt

Winter weather combined with other circumstances haven't permitted any serious attempt at photography, but I did immediately make a few hand held shots of whatever was available just to check function. the impartial observers | the hasselblad gallery

Perhaps after the spring thaw :)
A few? Looks like a lot and a lot of fun! The results look terrific! Great color, great resolution, and all in the magic square!

I do miss the magic square so I have just re-started my 593cxi with a feeding from a box of TriX. Waiting on warmer weather, it has been too cold for my hands this week. But your images warm my heart and give me hope for getting a CFV back one day!

Keep shooting, keep posting!:):):)