The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the Nikon R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System compatible with H5D?

dave.gt

In order to do close-up archival work, is it possible to use the dual flash Nikon R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System?

If not, what alternatives might I look into?

Udo

Dave, if you plan to use it in TTL mode, it will not work. Nikon's iTTL protocol and electronics is not compatible to the H5D although it will work with the X1D. The R1C1 can only be operated/triggered via center contact in the camera's hotshoe or additional sync cord. The other contacts of the hotshoe should not touch the other contacts in the controller's foot around the center contact. You risk damaging the electronics.

In case you want to go the TTL route, I'd recommend checking Metz speedlights being adapted via SCA adapter. Hasselblad's flash TTL adapter is made by Metz.

If you don't need TTL, there are plenty of options.

Regards, Udo

dave.gt

Dave, if you plan to use it in TTL mode, it will not work. Nikon's iTTL protocol and electronics is not compatible to the H5D although it will work with the X1D. The R1C1 can only be operated/triggered via center contact in the camera's hotshoe or additional sync cord. The other contacts of the hotshoe should not touch the other contacts in the controller's foot around the center contact. You risk damaging the electronics.

In case you want to go the TTL route, I'd recommend checking Metz speedlights being adapted via SCA adapter. Hasselblad's flash TTL adapter is made by Metz.

If you don't need TTL, there are plenty of options.

Regards, Udo
Udo,
Thanks for that heads up! I don't need anything sophisticated for my photographing artwork on ceiling tiles (24"x24") but I can't envision using a Siros L on both sides, though it might work. It seems to be too complicated.

So, can the Nikon set up work at all with the H5? You mentioned options and that has caught my attention! As a neophyte using flash for relatively close-up archival work (albeit on the ceiling), I can use all the advice I can find! Thanks!:):):)