The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How important is it to get 1/2000 lenses??

ndwgolf

I’ve bought a mint HC150n lens and away to buy a 50mm II and 100 f2.2. They are both in my B&H shopping cart but I keep seeing mint condition lenses the same as above but without the orange dot ie withouth 1/2000.
I like to shoot landscape and pretty girls (not in a studio). The saving in getting second hand is quite considerably so my question is can I get by with 1/800 or1/1000
Neil

tcdeveau

For landscape it doesn’t matter....save the $$ and go with the 1/800 lenses.

For your other subjects you can probably get away with 1/800 too unless all your shooting is wide open in bright bright daylight (in which case you can also just use ND filters to bring shutter speed down and avoid clipping), or for whatever reason you need 1/2000 flash sync with strobes

Just my 2 cents.

Do you rely on 1/2000 shutter speed with any of your other systems? Is the 150n you bought a 1/800 lens or orange dot? If it’s not orange dot, shoot with it for awhile and figure out for yourself if you need faster than 1/800.

kdphotography

The other thing is----do you have a strobe system with a sufficiently short flash duration to take advantage of the 1/2000th flash sync?

ndwgolf

The other thing is----do you have a strobe system with a sufficiently short flash duration to take advantage of the 1/2000th flash sync?
I have a pair of Pfofoto B1 heads. Not sure what I’ve got out of them but when I look at most of my Leica S stuff it’s nearly all under 1/1000
Neil

kparseg

I have a pair of Pfofoto B1 heads. Not sure what I’ve got out of them but when I look at most of my Leica S stuff it’s nearly all under 1/1000
Neil

Are you planning to use 1/2000sec lenses on Leica S via adapter? If so, I'm not sure H-S adapter lets you use these lenses at 1/2000sec.

rmueller

No. I’ve just bought a new H6D so I need good compatible lenses.
Neil
Shooting with the H system for ten years now. So far maybe a handful of occasions where I had wished for shorter than 1/800 sec and then almost always with the 100mm lens wide open. So if at all and if I'm sick one day with the limitation i might get a new 100mm lens with 1/2000 sec. but it might as well never happen ;-)

Hard to make a suggestion here, really depends on your subjects, style and lens preferences.

Regards,
Ralf

ndwgolf

Shooting with the H system for ten years now. So far maybe a handful of occasions where I had wished for shorter than 1/800 sec and then almost always with the 100mm lens wide open. So if at all and if I'm sick one day with the limitation i might get a new 100mm lens with 1/2000 sec. but it might as well never happen ;-)

Hard to make a suggestion here, really depends on your subjects, style and lens preferences.

Regards,
Ralf
I'm now in the camp for saving a few dollars and buying second hand............

Thanks

Neil

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

As far as i can see it, there may be two reasons for extremely short shutter speeds with leaf shutters.

• The major case may be if you want use strobes outdoor and use them to overpower sunlight.
  • The other case is stopping motion.
Obviously, it can be useful to use very short shutter speeds to allow shooting at full aperture in very bright ambient, but that very bright ambient essentially means harsh sunlight, probably not what you prefer shooting beautiful ladies anyway and if so you can always use an ND filter.

To be able to overpower sunlight you need short duration flash. I did some testing with my trusty Hasselblad 555/ELD and a modern Godox Wistro AD 200 flash and it lost significant power, around 30%, already at 1/500. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60622964

As far as I know, the lens shutter speed is just 1/1000s, 1/2000s is achieved by co-orchestrating the reset on the latest family of CMOS sensors with the leaf shutter. So, exposure starts with leaf shutter fully open and exposure is started by resetting the sensor and terminated by mechanically closing leaf shutter.

BTW, the Phase One XF has a display for tuning flash sync to measured flash duration. Not suggesting you to switch system to Phase, but it is an indication that getteing the best out of flash sync may take a bit of work.

Best regards
Erik

I’ve bought a mint HC150n lens and away to buy a 50mm II and 100 f2.2. They are both in my B&H shopping cart but I keep seeing mint condition lenses the same as above but without the orange dot ie withouth 1/2000.
I like to shoot landscape and pretty girls (not in a studio). The saving in getting second hand is quite considerably so my question is can I get by with 1/800 or1/1000
Neil

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

As far as i can see it, there may be two reasons for extremely short shutter speeds with leaf shutters.

• The major case may be if you want use strobes outdoor and use them to overpower sunlight.
  • The other case is stopping motion.
Obviously, it can be useful to use very short shutter speeds to allow shooting at full aperture in very bright ambient, but that very bright ambient essentially means harsh sunlight, probably not what you prefer shooting beautiful ladies anyway and if so you can always use an ND filter.

To be able to overpower sunlight you need short duration flash. I did some testing with my trusty Hasselblad 555/ELD and a modern Godox Wistro AD 200 flash and it lost significant power, around 30%, already at 1/500. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60622964

As far as I know, the lens shutter speed is just 1/1000s, 1/2000s is achieved by co-orchestrating the reset on the latest family of CMOS sensors with the leaf shutter. So, exposure starts with leaf shutter fully open and exposure is started by resetting the sensor and terminated by mechanically closing leaf shutter.

BTW, the Phase One XF has a display for tuning flash sync to measured flash duration. Not suggesting you to switch system to Phase, but it is an indication that getteing the best out of flash sync may take a bit of work.

Best regards
Erik

Neil

kparseg

No. I’ve just bought a new H6D so I need good compatible lenses.
Neil
Oh cool, congrats on the awesome camera! In this case, if I were, I'd look at my Lightroom library and see what percentage of images were taken at 1/800sec or faster. I guess only in this case you can have some data to support your decision.

DB5

I would prefer the 1/2000th lens, personally, on something like the 100mm 2.2 or 80mm 2.8 because it means you can shoot wide open with faster lenses in more lighting conditions. Bear in mind you are having to stop down to f4.5 or 5.6 in daylight at ISO 100 when limited to 1/800th as your fastest speed. The 100c goes to ISO64 so there's not much wiggle room. The work around is using ND filters - Perfectly fine, but on an SLR, obviously that means a darker viewfinder.

If it were just about flash sync, I don't really care because 1/800 is already enough in the good majority of situations unless, again, you want to shoot wide open.

bab

In bright sunlight with a strobe pack 1/2000s is a winner 1/800s won't cut it. The other situation is for freezing fast movement which can even come into play shooting macro and/or landscapes. It would be nice just to have the ability to use if needed, I would love for Hasselblad to allow all lenses to be converted for a fee. Better yet I would love to see HCD ii lenses then I'm all in. Which means that if I now buy 1/2000s lenses and new lenses come out that are that(1/2000s) plus they include upgraded optics I be pissed!

Reactions: BFD

sog1927

If you think there's a chance you might ever want to put them on an X in addition to using them on your H6, you might want to lean towards the 1/2000 lenses. I suspect the chips in the older lenses won't ever support the firmware necessary to autofocus with the X cameras and the H->X adapter.

Just a thought.

ChrisLivsey

If you think there's a chance you might ever want to put them on an X in addition to using them on your H6, you might want to lean towards the 1/2000 lenses. I suspect the chips in the older lenses won't ever support the firmware necessary to autofocus with the X cameras and the H->X adapter.

Just a thought.
Hasselblad has said the "old" chips will not allow autofocus and has given specific lens firmware cut offs, previously, vaguely, a specific year was quoted, 2013, that means some more recent none 1/2000 shutter lenses will autofocus. That opens the possibility of Hasselblad replacing the chip in the older lenses as that is obviously physically possible. Given the size of the workforce and the current workload, hardly going to reduce when the X2-D is launched, that though is obviously unlikely and they have said it is not possible, which I suspect is a capacity rather than a technical limitation.

For autofocus on the X1-D the HC/HCD Lens must have firmware 18.0.0 or later this was in the release note for the 19.0.2 X1-D firmware.