The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Lost" Electronic Shutter on XF

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I went to use the ES on my Phase One XF today, but it's vanished from the menu! I can still choose FPS Only or LS Priority, but the ES choice has evaporated. Everything else works just as it should.

I've checked the firmware on both the XF and the IQ3-100, both up-to-date, and also reverted to Default. (Camera FW 4.00.55 and IQ3 3.07.2). Other aspects of Update No 4 appear to be fine - lens trim is good, Vibration Analysis shows up etc etc. But no ES!

Generally when something goes wrong with my gear it's operator error - i.e. ME! But this time I'm flummoxed. Anyone got any suggestions, or even better, solutions!

(I will talk to my dealer on Monday but he's 300 kms away and I'd like to avoid the journey)

Cheers,
Bill

dchew

Bill,
I don’t have the XF, but on the back under Menu I have the following:
Menu>Camera>Electronic Shutter>On/Off

You might have a lot more options connected with the XF.

Dave

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks Dave, but my back has "Menu, XF controls, etc" but does not include any reference to the ES. It should appear in the camera top menu where one switches from FPS to LS.

It was working a few weeks ago so I'm at a loss!

Bill

algrove

Bill
Sure hope you find it. I have lost cable releases and never found them, but so far never lost a shutter.

Wish I could help, but have not even turned on my XF with HAP-2 yet nor used my new 150/2.8 as I am into Technical cameras these days.

Certainly someone here must be able to help.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Bill,

Can you reinstall the present firmware or do you have to go to the dealer to have it done?

Got to be firmware related ... otherwise I would think the chip itself would not work at all.

Bob

med

It's almost as if the back "forgot" it has the feature. If you completely remove the IQ back from the XF (or just power it up separately so it thinks it is in standalone mode), can you enable the ES by selecting "Menu > Camera > Electronic Shutter > On"?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I've tried reinstalling the software but I get the message that there is no "valid firmware on the card" - presumably because it already has that firmware installed. It's as if I need to take a step back to an older version, then re-install the latest. Not sure if this can be done, at least by me.

I did take the back off the camera but then the Menu doesn't give a "Camera" option.

Thank you both for your suggestions - I guess it's back to the dealer.

JonMo

hi Bill,

When you are on the screen for the xf;
if you press the the bottom long silver button to the right of the screen to pull up the menu, then use the buttons/wheel to select; Capture Setup/Shutter. Then use the wheel to scroll through the options it should read; LS Priority, ES Only, FPS Only.
You say that the ES Only option is missing in this menu?

JonMo

As well; on the iq back if you go: menu/camera you will see an option to turn on the ES. this is use for technical camera captures.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thank you all for your input. So happens my dealer solved the problem over the phone.

Turns out that somehow the IQ3 had reverted to an old firmware but the XF firmware was up-to-date. So there was a clash that prevented the back from seeing a valid firmware update for the system. The solution was to download the old Firmware Updater for the P series backs, connect the camera to it and do the update that way. Took less than a minute. It (in my words) overrode the IQ3 and installed the latest firmware. All is well and the ES has been recovered!

Apparently the fault was probably caused by an interrupted update of some sort, a glitch like removing a CF card too quickly or....? This caused the back to revert to a previous state.

Again, thanks to those who rallied to my cause - I really appreciate it.

D&A

Bill,

I am the last person to know very much about your issue with your XF nor how to approach fixing it (although I enjoy reading of such issues and how they are resolved).

What I think though I can safely say, is you have not only been successful in getting the Electronic Shutter to show up, but in the process resolved another issue of great concern.....namely becoming "un-flummoxed" in the process. No doubt that's a relief! :)

Dave (D&A)