The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hasselblad offerings for 2018

bab

The rental program is they way for me pay to play. Now if they could accompany this with some extraordinary glass and intregated step focusing they would be the leader of the pack. Because at 400mb, 4 shots (or 6 ) plus focus stacking we are talking mucho time spent to capture any images involving depth. Flat art work copying from a distance would be an easy deal but anything else is going to require very strick shooting formulas.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Only new announcement seems to be the H6D 100 MS ... which would end my desire for an Achromatic back.

Bob

tcdeveau

Only new announcement seems to be the H6D 100 MS ... which would end my desire for an Achromatic back.

Bob
My desire for an Achromatic back is stronger than ever right now haha. I really wish Hasselblad would make one so there's a little competition with P1, or that we'd see a more affordable one. Along those lines it's also a shame Sony doesn't make a 44x33mm Achromatic sensor.

DB5

Hasselblad are really putting Phase One to shame these days.

I believe the institutional and museum sort of market is what Phase One has a lot of, but this new 400MP camera will surely shake that up.

Then the X1D, going from strength to strength.

Phase One better wake up and smell the coffee.

V

Vivek

My desire for an Achromatic back is stronger than ever right now haha. I really wish Hasselblad would make one so there's a little competition with P1, or that we'd see a more affordable one. Along those lines it's also a shame Sony doesn't make a 44x33mm Achromatic sensor.
They don’t and probably will never.

Not all is lost. You can get an A7rII or A7rIII converted to monochrome!

See post#2 here: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/leica/63183-monochrom-ccd-vs-cmos.html

hcubell

Hasselblad are really putting Phase One to shame these days.

I believe the institutional and museum sort of market is what Phase One has a lot of, but this new 400MP camera will surely shake that up.

Then the X1D, going from strength to strength.

Phase One better wake up and smell the coffee.
I don't know the numbers, but I would expect that the capitalized R&D, tooling and other costs in developing the Phase XF body and the manufacturing infrastructure for it were very substantial...tens of millions of dollars. It's only been out for 2-3 years. Phase is not even close to recovering its costs. Putting out an entirely new camera system that steals away sales of the XF body and those BR lenses can't be an appetizing prospect. Oh, and I forgot about all of the new R&D, tooling and other costs for a new camera body and a new line of lenses. You can pretend that the XF and the BR lenses are a different market from a smallish, mirrorless system that would compete with the GFX and the X1D, but it's not "just" the value end of the market that is opting for the GFX and the X1D. There are far more photographers than Phase would care to admit who were dedicated and loyal Phase shooters who have favored the ultimate in IQ but are now opting out of the XF in favor of the GFX and the X1D. That trend will only accelerate when the 100MP versions of the GFX and the X1D appear this year.

dave.gt

I don't know the numbers, but I would expect that the capitalized R&D, tooling and other costs in developing the Phase XF body and the manufacturing infrastructure for it were very substantial...tens of millions of dollars. It's only been out for 2-3 years. Phase is not even close to recovering its costs. Putting out an entirely new camera system that steals away sales of the XF body and those BR lenses can't be an appetizing prospect. Oh, and I forgot about all of the new R&D, tooling and other costs for a new camera body and a new line of lenses. You can pretend that the XF and the BR lenses are a different market from a smallish, mirrorless system that would compete with the GFX and the X1D, but it's not "just" the value end of the market that is opting for the GFX and the X1D. There are far more photographers than Phase would care to admit who were dedicated and loyal Phase shooters who have favored the ultimate in IQ but are now opting out of the XF in favor of the GFX and the X1D. That trend will only accelerate when the 100MP versions of the GFX and the X1D appear this year.

It certainly seems that there will be a lot of activity this year from all the MF folks. Hasselblad is moving much faster than I anticipated and Phase One is certainly busy on things too.

It is going to be very interesting to see where the world of MF is going!

In the meantime, the next image awaits. Sorry, Dante, you need to chill for awhile, idle hands are the work of the devil, and I am certainly not idle. So there!:):):)

bab

Now that DJI owns Hasselblad and there is some young brilliant minds doing the thinking (with the money to back them up) we should see some out of the box ideas come to market. Even the code writing should improve at a much faster pace. Chances we will be amazed is a better bet now than it was last year!

gerald.d

Does anyone know if the multi-shot back is available on its own?

I would imagine that a large proportion of the potential market for this solution would want to use it on a view camera that can do movements, rather than Hasselblad’s own camera.

Would love to try this on my Capcam.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

KeithL

I've nothing but respect for Hasselblad and their current offerings.

My fear is they'll introduce a camera/system that meets my current needs.

;-)

JeRuFo

Phase one is usually very quick in offering a new top tier sensor, much quicker than Hasselblad. I don't think they will be shocked by this MS back, but are rather thankful it came this late in the lifecycle of this chip. I think Phase One were very pleased with the sales of the IQ3 100, it did very well, even if it was to a select group of people. The IQ180 did well too, so the real benchmark for their market share will be the launch of the IQ4 and what new stuff they can bring. I think if they time it right and sell a bunch right away, they won't be too worried with Hasselblad growing in the slightly more affordable MF-market. P1 has never had much interest in that market anyway. Capture one is getting more and more a stand alone program now, where you hardly need PS anymore after, if they can streamline the shooting process even more with the new back and possibly some new software, I don't see why they have to give up market share. They've always been small but steady, where Hasselblad is far more adventurous.

Geoff

Phase is working within a classic small Euro manufacturing model of providing top tier product, based on careful (and expensive) in-house R&D, to a modest but sizable group of discerning customers. It is very hard to change that model to a broader customer base - and there may be no need either. A lot depends on the sales figures - if C1 brings them enough revenue, and can migrate to a broader audience, they may be just fine as they are.

Certainly there is pressure on the model from the higher quality available for less cost and smaller size, but it is difficult from the outside to know if this is really impacting them or not.

Its nice to have such a good company in the business tho - as their products (especially C1 and their backs) are just wonderful.

jduncan

Now that DJI owns Hasselblad and there is some young brilliant minds doing the thinking (with the money to back them up) we should see some out of the box ideas come to market. Even the code writing should improve at a much faster pace. Chances we will be amazed is a better bet now than it was last year!

Hi,
It seems they don't own the majority of Hasselblad, at least not yet,
but they are pretty influencial.

I believe that a mark of inteligent people is to change based on evidence.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markew...-rated-the-worlds-finest-camera/#66901916772d

It could be that he is lying but it's hard to see why, as he was not asked to comment. So until new evidence arives, I will take his word.

From the interview:
“DJI is a strategic partner, a minority stakeholder, not a sole owner. The native DJI apps are used to control the A6D—ISO changes, shutter speeds, apertures and LiveView."

Best regards,

bab

Hi,
It seems they don't own the majority of Hasselblad, at least not yet,
but they are pretty influencial.

I believe that a mark of inteligent people is to change based on evidence.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markew...-rated-the-worlds-finest-camera/#66901916772d

It could be that he is lying but it's hard to see why, as he was not asked to comment. So until new evidence arives, I will take his word.

From the interview:
“DJI is a strategic partner, a minority stakeholder, not a sole owner. The native DJI apps are used to control the A6D—ISO changes, shutter speeds, apertures and LiveView."

Forbes might have the story right or not but I can tell you from what I was told that DJI is pulling the strings, this would require some major investment on their part. Whether or not hard money and value of stock can be counted accurately for minority or majority at this time is another discussion. AS only a user I would assume the investment on DJI part would include an eventual majority stake....if not based on all others financial investment failures with Hasselblad it would be a really bad investment on DJI's part. I also would not give 99% credibility to those mentioned (Hasselblad’s head of marketing ) in the article as having the complete inside track. But I enjoyed the HYPE! regards

Best regards,
Forbes might have the story right or not but I can tell you from what I was told that DJI is pulling the strings, this would require some major investment on their part. Whether or not hard money and value of stock can be counted accurately for minority or majority at this time is another discussion. AS only a user I would assume the investment on DJI part would include an eventual majority stake....if not based on all others financial investment failures with Hasselblad it would be a really bad investment on DJI's part. I also would not give 99% credibility to those mentioned (Hasselblad’s head of marketing ) in the article as having the complete inside track. But I enjoyed the HYPE! regards

DB5

When these new lenses drop, I think we're going to see a fast uptake of the X1D.

The zoom and the fast 80mm is what I'm really looking forward to.