The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best Batteries for Phamiya AFD III

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I used to use Duracell (Coppertop) AA batteries in my AFD III and they were OK but didn't seem to last very long, so I thought it would be more economic to invest in a dozen Duracell NiMH 1.2V 2650 mAh rechargeables.

They seem to last no time at all - just a few dozen exposures and the "batt" symbol appears and the camera stops functioning. (I did change CF07 to "1" from "0"). This happens particularly quickly when using MLU.

I've tested the batteries with a voltmeter - it shows them as fully charged. For reasons I don't understand, sometimes if I remove the battery holder and reinsert it, the battery symbol once again shows full - but after maybe one pic, or none if I use MLU, things go dead again.

The battery in the P45+ back lasts longer!

I guess I'm going to move back to disposables. Two questions - anyone else have this problem, and which are the best disposables?

Bill

kdphotography

Hi Bill,

I've had extremely good fortune using the blue/silver Energizer Lithium AAs. For some reason they just work really well. (I started using these since the AFD---and now with the Phase 645AF) They are also much lighter. About US$9 for a four-pack. The Mamiya 645 AFD et al will eat normal Duracell and Energizers for breakfast....

I'm considering using rechargeables in studio (close to an outlet and recharger)---and then the Energizer Lithiums when I'm out and about.....

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure that you set the camera to "rechargeable battery" mode CF-07 to "1"
Otherwise the camera gives up too early
-bob

John Black

Our local Costco sells a Eneloop kit which came with 10 "cores", case, charger and C & D shells. I think it cost $29.99.

Dale Allyn

Just a side note: with my AFD II (not AFD III) I find that my batteries last much longer if I remove the battery insert when not in use. It's a bit of a (minor) pain, but seems to greatly extend the life. I don't know if the same is true of the AFD III's.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thank you all for your input - very valuable!

I went right out and bought a dozen Eneloop AAs and they work beautifully.I did over 50 exposures with long MLU and they've still got juice. I note they they are 2000 mAh, whereas the unsatisfactory Energizer rechargeables say 2650 mAh. Could it be they sacrifice some voltage for amperage, and thus soon end up under the camera's cut off point?

Anyway, I'm very pleased to benefit once more from the collective wisdom and experience of this forum. Thank you.

Bill

ps Dale, my AFD II was the same; I either removed the batteries or the back when not in use. I believe this was a known issue with the camera. Theoretically that's been corrected in the III but I can't be sure because old habits die hard and I'm still removing my battery holder on the III!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Eneloops do not die as fast when not in use . They hold there charge much longer. Been using them for awhile now and i can go all day shooting with them, maybe 600 frames.